Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>You know you work at a daycare when.....
Christina72684 07:18 AM 05-01-2014
....without looking up you can hear a kid cry and know who it is and whether it's a hurt cry, he took my toy cry, I didn't nap and am whiny cry, etc. And if it's one of the cries that doesn't matter you can tune it out!

....a toddler can walk up to you and another adult, tell a story, and you understand what they were saying while the other adult heard nothing but gibberish.

....you can get a large group of children to fall asleep within 10 minutes, yet their parents say they fight sleep all the time at home.
spinnymarie 07:36 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by :
....you can get a large group of children to fall asleep within 10 minutes, yet their parents say they fight sleep all the time at home.
Haha, yes.

...you have started serving all meals 'daycare style' and even your husband gets a small portion of each food on his plate.
midaycare 07:57 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:

...you have started serving all meals 'daycare style' and even your husband gets a small portion of each food on his plate.
That is hilarious!
2grls4us 08:02 AM 05-01-2014
...you cut up everyone's food for them in small toddler size pieces.

...you ask whomever your with if they need to potty.

...you feel the need to correct or discipline random misbehaving children at the park, mall, etc.
KiddieCahoots 08:09 AM 05-01-2014
When you smell poop from one of the kids in your group, and can recognize the smell to exactly which child did it.

When you buy mac & cheese by the bulk.
melilley 08:20 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
....without looking up you can hear a kid cry and know who it is and whether it's a hurt cry, he took my toy cry, I didn't nap and am whiny cry, etc. And if it's one of the cries that doesn't matter you can tune it out!

....a toddler can walk up to you and another adult, tell a story, and you understand what they were saying while the other adult heard nothing but gibberish.

Haha, I always joke with my husband...There have been many times when he couldn't understand a person with a foreign accent and I could, (d's doctor has a heavy accent) and I just tell him it's because I have worked with kids forever and have learned how to decipher words..lol
melilley 08:21 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
When you smell poop from one of the kids in your group, and can recognize the smell to exactly which child did it.

I was just going to say that! Disgusting, but true...lol
melilley 08:24 AM 05-01-2014
You can change diapers in record time!

When the only kids you start to like are your own....j/k- well sometimes it's true depending on the day.

I do love babies and want to hold random babies when I'm out.
llpa 08:28 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
Haha, yes.

I picture him sitting at a little table w a little plate and a little fork and sippy cup
cara041083 08:38 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by 2grls4us:

...you feel the need to correct or discipline random misbehaving children at the park, mall, etc.
All the time!
Christina72684 08:39 AM 05-01-2014

Yes! I say potty way too much for a grown woman! lol And I always want to correct children in public!
CraftyMom 08:54 AM 05-01-2014
Yes! lol

I had this conversation with my daughter one day

Her: ____ pooped, she needs to be changed
Me: No, it's ____.
Her: How do you know?
Me: I smell it, it smells like _____.
Her: Mom, that's just weird and gross!
mia 09:37 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Yes! lol

I had this conversation with my daughter one day

Her: ____ pooped, she needs to be changed
Me: No, it's ____.
Her: How do you know?
Me: I smell it, it smells like _____.
Her: Mom, that's just weird and gross!

lol sooo true .... I've done the same with my D....

These are all soooo true and I have done many of them......
jenn 09:46 AM 05-01-2014
...you know more about the latest kid's movies and shows than you do about current events.
...your pockets are full of random "treasures" given to you during the day.
...you say "get that out of your mouth" 300 times per day.
...you can change an explosive diaper, correct the grammar of a preschooler, and stop a toddler fight all at the same time.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:01 AM 05-01-2014
I once had a co-teacher who'd pick up stray socks from the floor, give them a sniff, and know which kid they came from by the smell.
My3cents 10:05 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:

all of these!!!

and one more

you can tell what they ate for supper the night before by the smell of the poop
daycarediva 10:08 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
You can change diapers in record time!

When the only kids you start to like are your own....j/k- well sometimes it's true depending on the day.
I do love babies and want to hold random babies when I'm out.
Sometimes, not even them! LOL!!

When you can name the ninja turtles by color
When you know the difference between DC and marvel comics because of an obsessed dcb
When you know which parent the child was with based solely on their attire or behavior
When discussing BM's with a group of adults doesn't phase you in the least
When you can spot a parent lie a MILE AWAY
When your (daycare)kids get NOTHING by you because you have seen/heard/done/said it ALL
When you have nicknames for each child in care and can have an entire conversation with your immediate family members about them in a public restaurant without saying a single name. (parents, too)
BumbleBee 10:18 AM 05-01-2014
You can have 3 kids crying while you make lunch & not stress about it at all.

4.5 month old was tired, 2.5 yo was told no, 1 yo was crying bc the other 2 were.
melilley 10:19 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Sometimes, not even them! LOL!!

When your (daycare)kids get NOTHING by you because you have seen/heard/done/said it ALL

I tell my 11 yo dd this all the time! She's a good kid, but sometimes tries to get away with things. Once we went to a restaurant and I told her if she was going to order an adult meal, she had to eat ALL of it. Well, her and her cousin were "going to the bathroom" when my cousin called them over. Turns out my cousin saw my dd with her hands in her pocket. She asked her where she was going and to take her hands out of her pocket...low and behold, there was her food. She was going to throw it away! We all (there were 4 adults) told the kids that we have been there, done that, and that there's nothing they can get away with...lol
Unregistered 10:52 AM 05-01-2014
...humming kids songs from circle time, even on the weekends when you're closed
...tell your family that they can't have that particular food item because it's for the DCKs
...shop on the weekends for what you think was strictly for your family, but always end up looking for or picking up something for the day care
...the DCK give their DCP a fit at pick-up time until you patiently get the DCK in order to leave like their DCP wasn't even there
...tell the DCP what their child likes, loves, dislikes, and hate (and they didn't even know it)
melonieb 12:04 PM 05-01-2014
I go to my nanas house and she has 8 grandchildren there, not including my five. meals are ran as if i was at home the entire time, same rules and consequences. my nana told me that my rules always carry over to her house.
Bookworm 02:45 PM 05-01-2014

If there's one thing that I hate, it's kids running all willy-nilly in stores or restaurants and their parents pretending not to notice. I was in a restaurant once and a little boy kept climbing on the back of their booth. ( it wasn't connected to another booth). The parents gave half hearted pleas for him to get down before he falls. Guess what happened next. He fell and hit the floor. I burst out laughing (I know, not a good reaction). The parents gave me a look and began to leave.
Reply Up