Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question for illinois providers and vaccines
sahm1225 06:56 AM 01-31-2015
I can't get a straight answer from licensing.

Our licensing guidelines say that we accept children into care that have been vaccinated per state guidelines.

Licensing says only religious exemptions are allowed.

I have a potential family that does not vaccinate (not religious but personal reasons). I have a child that has a compromised immune system, plus I take infants. Licensing says I can't say no to admitting because it's descrimination. I asked how it's descrimination and was basically told that I just can't say no.

I'm at a loss of what to do. The child w the compromised immune system is my child! I work hard to help her build her immune system and very cautious with exposures and treating her asthma.
Unregistered 07:48 AM 01-31-2015
I have always heard that immunization choices do not fall under a protected category so it is not discrimination. Want to say that was on Tom Copeland's blog so maybe ask him. Plus can't you just keep interviewing for the spot and then say that you have chosen a better fit?
Solandia 08:47 AM 01-31-2015
There is no philosophical exemption for immunizations for IL. They either have to have a medical or religious exemption ON FILE (it has to be a signed statement), or you are out of compliance.

Not your problem. THEY need to figure it out, give you what you need --- either a signed expemption statement with their medical form --- or a medical form showing the child is current on his/her shots.

Now, it is easy to lie and claim a religious exemption, and I know there are some chiropractors(they will also help rig up a medical exemption). BUT, not your circus, not your monkey.

As far as *I* know, you can refuse enrollment to a child based on them being unvaccinated. It isnt a protected "condition". If pedi offices can refuse to have unvax'ed kids at clients, so can I.
Unregistered 06:27 PM 01-31-2015
Can't you just say no that they don't feel like a good fit for your group?
Shell 06:13 AM 02-01-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Can't you just say no that they don't feel like a good fit for your group?

Leigh 09:56 AM 02-01-2015
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I can't get a straight answer from licensing.

Our licensing guidelines say that we accept children into care that have been vaccinated per state guidelines.

Licensing says only religious exemptions are allowed.

I have a potential family that does not vaccinate (not religious but personal reasons). I have a child that has a compromised immune system, plus I take infants. Licensing says I can't say no to admitting because it's descrimination. I asked how it's descrimination and was basically told that I just can't say no.

I'm at a loss of what to do. The child w the compromised immune system is my child! I work hard to help her build her immune system and very cautious with exposures and treating her asthma.
Non-vaxxers are not a protected class-I don't see how it could be discrimination (unless they try to use religion as an excuse-then MAYBE).
DaveA 05:43 PM 02-01-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Non-vaxxers are not a protected class-I don't see how it could be discrimination (unless they try to use religion as an excuse-then MAYBE).
This is basically the last info I got from licensing. However it is DCFS, so all info subject to change at a moment's notice
spinnymarie 06:34 PM 02-01-2015
I always thought it was the religious exemption that made it discrimination.
But either way, you do NOT have to cite their non-vaxxing as the reason you are declining.
Just say they aren't a good fit, as someone said.
Reply Up