Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>10 Month Old Screaming
Unregistered 06:33 AM 04-11-2011
I just opened a daycare feb 1st and I have had a 10 month old since then. Everyday while he is awake he screams constantly, not crying, a high pitched scream. I'm about to my wits end with this. I've tried feeding him, he's not wet/dirty, and I only get him to stop when I'm holding him. I refuse to hold him all day. I watch 6 boys so it is not an option, altough even if I didn't have the others I don't think I would hold him allday anyway. I've told the mom about my issuses, and she said she doesn't expect me to do that and she would try and work on it at home.

I'm starting to think I might not be cut out for this young of care. I really enjoyed this age with my 16 month old. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also a little more on the boy mom gives boy motrin and tylenol every 6 hours at home (I don't do this here, I don't feel right about it) and gas medicene with every bottle. She has thought he is teething since the interview back in January. He also has had some reflux when he was younger.
PeanutsGalore 12:01 PM 04-11-2011
Sorry!

Sounds like the kid might need some medical attention. Teething pain comes and goes, so a child should not have to be dosed with meds around the clock. I'd ask the mom to take the kid to the doctor and make sure nothing else is wrong, and require a doctor's note to accept the child back into care.

Other than that, you may just have a kid who needs a longer adjustment period on your hands. He may also be used to communicating by screaming. And you have no control over this, because whatever is going on is probably being reinforced at home.

It will get better, but he may or may not become more settled, so you have to be prepared to ask her to find alternative care if you can't handle the screaming.

Also, if you hold him to stop him from screaming, it will never get better; he'll expect to be held all the time. If you can't do this, then I'd try my best to only hold him and play with him when he's NOT screaming.

Good luck!
daycare 12:07 PM 04-11-2011
how many days a week does he come?
Unregistered 04:14 PM 04-11-2011
He comes five days a week from 8:00 until 5:15.
His mother has taken him to the doctor atleast 4 times since he has started for one reason or another.
cheerfuldom 05:14 PM 04-11-2011
Sounds like a spoiled little boy that mom is desperately trying to find a reason for his behavior. It sounds like you have had him for awhile and if he is like this constantly, it isn't teething or anything else (since you didn't mention any other symptoms). Some kids are just very doted on at home and it does not mesh well with a daycare environment. If you can't tolerate the crying anymore, you'll probably have to term him. When kids are this young, it is next to impossible to combat what his home life is like. Its easier when they are older and can understand that rules are one way at daycare and one way at home.
Abigail 08:20 PM 04-11-2011
This would be my red flag. "mom gives boy motrin and tylenol every 6 hours at home (I don't do this here, I don't feel right about it) and gas medicene with every bottle".

I would tell them mom you want to speak to his doctor and see if you can learn anything. I would call the doctor and ask if she is even bringing him in in the first place.......then I would ask what they think about such a young baby taking MOTRIN and TYLENOL multiple times a day DAILY and ask what the doctor thinks about the child getting GAS MEDICINE with EVERY bottle. I personally would call child protection services because I don't think all these constant medications are good by any means for a young baby so often.

You should require the mom to fill out a medicine form for a while that you create so you can have the date, time, medicine, dose, and comments. On the other hand, I know a 9 month old who screams and part of it was reflux which she is on medication for right now and part of it was not getting enough milk and only being given baby fruits. This baby is not growing out of the screaming anytime soon, but has gone to the doctor many times as well. Part of it is going to be that the boy you have is not likely to change overnight unless something is going on you are not awake of. If you are concerned about the medications this baby gets, I wouldn't even bring it up to mom and just have them "checked out" to see if she's doing something she shouldn't be behind closed doors. Makes me worry.
Unregistered 06:43 PM 09-06-2012
I would ask the mother for a medicine chart also, and if it truly is every day for more than the recommended number of days (listed on every medication bottle), I would notify their doctor. That is dangerous and questionable. Is the mother ignorant or is she being directed by a doctor? If not, a call to CPS is in order
Tags:colic, screaming
Reply Up