Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Learning Letters
DaycareMom 09:32 AM 01-26-2012
I was hoping I could get some ideas from everyone on any letter games that we can play. The kids are getting very bored with flash cards and I need to respark their interest.

Also, any advice on how to teach kids to write their letters? Everytime I try with my daughter, she gets very upset and doesn't want to participate.

I want everyone to learn and have fun doing it. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
MissAnn 10:08 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by MissChristie:
I was hoping I could get some ideas from everyone on any letter games that we can play. The kids are getting very bored with flash cards and I need to respark their interest.

Also, any advice on how to teach kids to write their letters? Everytime I try with my daughter, she gets very upset and doesn't want to participate.

I want everyone to learn and have fun doing it. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
Here's our favorite game.....and I really play it up. We call it the "Walmart" game. I go hide my Abrams letter people all over the playroom.(can be bean bags or even flash cards). I then come out and act like I'm talking over the loud speaker at Walmart...."Attention customers, Miss Ann brought her preschool kids here and they all ran away from her.....please come to the front and help us to find them! I then switch characters to being myself. I cry....I brought the kids in the bus...they promised to be good but they all ran away from me!!!!! This kids always laugh because I really play this up. I say that little Johnny ran to the toys and suzie went to get a sub sandwich.....(or whatever). The kids bring them to me ONE AT A TIME. I ask who is it???? "M"....then....What does it say???? (mmmmm). Then the kids put that "kid" back on the bus. Lather rinse repeat with all the rest of the letters.

Also.....I use handwriting without tears....very hands on! hwtears.com
countrymom 10:12 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Here's our favorite game.....and I really play it up. We call it the "Walmart" game. I go hide my Abrams letter people all over the playroom.(can be bean bags or even flash cards). I then come out and act like I'm talking over the loud speaker at Walmart...."Attention customers, Miss Ann brought her preschool kids here and they all ran away from her.....please come to the front and help us to find them! I then switch characters to being myself. I cry....I brought the kids in the bus...they promised to be good but they all ran away from me!!!!! This kids always laugh because I really play this up. I say that little Johnny ran to the toys and suzie went to get a sub sandwich.....(or whatever). The kids bring them to me ONE AT A TIME. I ask who is it???? "M"....then....What does it say???? (mmmmm). Then the kids put that "kid" back on the bus. Lather rinse repeat with all the rest of the letters.

what an awesome game.
daycare 10:43 AM 01-26-2012
I hope the pictures loaded ok.

here is what I do. The first few days of the week, we go over 4 zoo phonic cards. We only worry about the sound, not knowing the actual letter. That will come later, however, most of the kids will learn both at the same time.

there are 2 different ways I do this game.

1. Ask all the children to collect an item from the room that starts with the letters shown on the shelf. Everyone does it individually or helps a friend that may be struggling or both...

2. I have several different word cards and picture cards that I hold up and I will ask the entire class or an individual can you tell me what these pictures are..
like : cow, crab, cactus, cat.....The child tells me the names of the cards and then I will ask can you please show me where they go. The child then takes it over to the correct shelf and places it next to the correct letter card, then is asked to make the sound of the letter card...All of my kids can do this, even my 22 month old............
WImom 11:03 AM 01-26-2012
I do several things but one thing my kids really look forward to is at circle time I put on starfall.com and we watch the little clip for our letter that we are talking about on my laptop. (we do two letters a month)
jenn 11:27 AM 01-26-2012
Each kid learns differently. Some love flashcards and pencil paper writing. Some love searching for the letters around the room or in magazines & books. Some love crafts. Today we did a cutout of the letter L and glued leaves to it, next week we will glue macaroni to an M...

Some of mine are too young or don't have the finger coordination/strength to really write the letters with a writing utensil. We use large sealed ziploc bags filled with various things to practice making the letters using our fingers as the pencil. You can fill them with a little salt or sugar, shaving cream, ...

We don't do a ton of TV or movie time, but the Leapfrog Letter Factory movie is awesome. Most of my kids have learned all the letter sounds, mainly from the songs in this show. I even used this video when I was teaching kindergarten!
Country Kids 12:00 PM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by WImom:
I do several things but one thing my kids really look forward to is at circle time I put on starfall.com and we watch the little clip for our letter that we are talking about on my laptop. (we do two letters a month)
We do that too-

We StarFall!
Lilbutterflie 12:37 PM 01-26-2012
This is more of a review game after they know quite a few letters:

I have a large magnetic white board and magnetic letters. I will arrange all of the letters of the alphabet on the board out of order. Then I have them all take turns picking a letter and telling the others what it is and what sound it makes. If they get it right, they get to keep the letter in their pile. If they get it wrong; I tell them what it is and put it back on the board for another child to pick. The game ends when all the letters are gone. If you want to make it a competitive game, you have them each count how many letters they had to see who had the most.

If you have a group of boys who like cars: Sight Word Parking Lot

Use the same white board as in game above. Draw parking spaces lined up just like a parking lot would look. In each parking spot, draw a letter of the alphabet. Then, have them pick their favorite car or train. Ask them, one by one, to drive their car to the "B" parking spot.
Countrygal 02:39 PM 01-26-2012
Love the ideas posted so far!!!

Here are a few I used when homeschooling my kids:

Writing the letters in sand, making cookies in the shape of the letters, or pancakes, etc. Even alphabet noodles.

With tactile learners it always helps to allow them to "feel" the shape. I've cut them out of various textures - sandpaper, silk, felt, cardboard, etc.

We have one of those alphabet foam floor puzzles that the kids love to put together.

Glue, paper, scissors, colors. The more the child does with the number/letter, the better they remember it.

Sing songs about the letter.

I used to play this game with my gs - "A" for example. aaaaa Take turns thinking of words that begin with aaaaa. The sound, not necessarily the letter. The person who keeps going the longest wins. My gs used to beat me repeatedly!

Look through magazines for the letter, or on calendars, even websites.

Well, that's about all I can think of right now. Hope it helps a little!
Countrygal 02:40 PM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by MissAnn:

Love this game! Definitely a winner! I'm stealing it!
Tags:learning to read, letters
Reply Up