Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Eating Schedule
adnilwis 01:16 PM 10-28-2016
I know babies should be fed on demand but if an infant had a 6 oz bottle (6 month old infant) How long typically should they be able to go until the next feeding? Child doesn't take solids even after many suggestions by me to bring some. She is starving every 2 hours I feel like. She's not a huge baby either. Dcm said she's heard the 1 to 1.5 oz per hour rule but dcg would never last a whole day with that amount of milk. I've watched many infants and I don't believe I've ever had one that very rarely seems satisfied and happy.
Reply
MarinaVanessa 01:39 PM 10-28-2016
The amount of milk seems normal for a baby. Is the baby breastfed or formula fed? Maybe try a slow-flow or preemie nipple and pace feeding. Baby could be eating too fast so that could be a reason that the baby is going through the milk so fast.

I doubt food will help in this case since "food before one is just for fun". Food would be a supplement but if you've asked the parent to provide you with food and they haven't then it doesn't sound like they're interested in introducing solids yet. I'd give pace feeding a try, it has helped me a ton especially with babies that are exclusively breastfed at home.
Reply
adnilwis 01:46 PM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
The amount of milk seems normal for a baby. Is the baby breastfed or formula fed? Maybe try a slow-flow or preemie nipple and pace feeding. Baby could be eating too fast so that could be a reason that the baby is going through the milk so fast.

I doubt food will help in this case since "food before one is just for fun". Food would be a supplement but if you've asked the parent to provide you with food and they haven't then it doesn't sound like they're interested in introducing solids yet. I'd give pace feeding a try, it has helped me a ton especially with babies that are exclusively breastfed at home.
Breastfed at home. They were told by the dr to wait until 6 months to introduce solids. They tried at home with soft chunks of food the weekend she turned 6 months and she didn't know what to do. Wouldn't pick it up, I mainly suggested solids or even cereal as a filler to keep her fuller and happier longer. She is drinking like 15 oz in a 9 hour time period typically. I believe a slow flow nipple is already being used. She started with 3.75 oz and I told mom to up it to 4 and then 5 and now 6. I just feel like 6 oz is a lot for any infant to have at one feeding.
Reply
MarinaVanessa 01:55 PM 10-28-2016
Holy moly I thought you meant that many ounces in a day! Definitely eating too much in one sitting. Are they putting soft food in front of her and expecting her to pick it up herself and feed herself? She wouldn't know what to do unless they've been practicing with her. Sounds like they're trying baby led feeding but it'll take practice for a baby to master the pincher grasp and then on top of that getting the food into their mouths.

Are you willing to ask them if it's ok for you to try at home? Like ask what they've introduced to her already and then offer it to her at daycare. Like if they tried carrots then you can boil some carrots until really soft and cut them up and spoon feed her while leaving some on her tray to practice getting in her mouth?

I would still totally try pace feeding if the baby isn't ready for solids yet (gags or pushes it out with her tongue)
Reply
adnilwis 02:01 PM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Holy moly I thought you meant that many ounces in a day! Definitely eating too much in one sitting. Are they putting soft food in front of her and expecting her to pick it up herself and feed herself? She wouldn't know what to do unless they've been practicing with her. Sounds like they're trying baby led feeding but it'll take practice for a baby to master the pincher grasp and then on top of that getting the food into their mouths.

Are you willing to ask them if it's ok for you to try at home? Like ask what they've introduced to her already and then offer it to her at daycare. Like if they tried carrots then you can boil some carrots until really soft and cut them up and spoon feed her while leaving some on her tray to practice getting in her mouth?

I would still totally try pace feeding if the baby isn't ready for solids yet (gags or pushes it out with her tongue)
It sounds like they are expecting her to pick it up herself. I offered to feed her here but she said she didn't have any food ready at home for me to feed her but I did suggest to try purees too. She said they'd try again this weekend with food. I don't know how often she nurses at home either. Her 6 month appt isn't until November 11 so I guess I'll wait and see what they say. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking it's too much. She doesn't sit up or crawl yet either so she isn't moving a ton to burn it off that quick. I don't provide baby food only table foods but if they prefer baby led weaning I guess I could do what you suggested.
Reply
Unregistered 02:05 PM 10-28-2016
FP says 6-8 oz for 4-7 mo old for meals and 4-6 oz for snack.
I don't know what the new meal patterns will be.
Reply
Blackcat31 02:11 PM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
FP says 6-8 oz for 4-7 mo old for meals and 4-6 oz for snack.
I don't know what the new meal patterns will be.
Here is the new infant meal pattern information in comparison to the older information:

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...P_InfantBP.pdf

New meal patterns

Infant
Children
Adults
Reply
Blackcat31 02:15 PM 10-28-2016
I have a 6 mth old in care who is strictly breastfed.
The baby eats 4-6 oz every 2 hours or so.

Sometimes 90 minutes, sometimes up to 3 hours later.... just depends but it seems to be normal. Baby is thriving and growing so it's enough.

Baby is not fed any cereal or finger foods at all.
Reply
MarinaVanessa 02:15 PM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
FP says 6-8 oz for 4-7 mo old for meals and 4-6 oz for snack.
I don't know what the new meal patterns will be.
If I'm reading this correctly then a baby would be drinking about 20-28oz in a 10 hour day (2 meals, 2 snacks).

Typically it's recommended by DR's and IBCLC's that a baby drink 1-1.5oz of milk per hour that baby is at daycare so more like 10-15oz in a 10 hour day. 6 oz in one sitting for a 6 month old seems like way too much for me.

I didn't ask, does she drink more than 6 oz in a day she's with you? How much?
Reply
adnilwis 02:19 PM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a 6 mth old in care who is strictly breastfed.
The baby eats 4-6 oz every 2 hours or so.

Sometimes 90 minutes, sometimes up to 3 hours later.... just depends but it seems to be normal. Baby is thriving and growing so it's enough.

Baby is not fed any cereal or finger foods at all.
Good to know. Last fall I had a baby who was close to 10 lbs at birth and never took more than 5 oz in one sitting. All babies are different I know but wasn't sure if there was a limit. Thanks for the charts. Though it doesn't give hours in between each meal I'd guess it to be 3 or 4 at the most.
Reply
adnilwis 02:22 PM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
If I'm reading this correctly then a baby would be drinking about 20-28oz in a 10 hour day (2 meals, 2 snacks).

Typically it's recommended by DR's and IBCLC's that a baby drink 1-1.5oz of milk per hour that baby is at daycare so more like 10-15oz in a 10 hour day. 6 oz in one sitting for a 6 month old seems like way too much for me.

I didn't ask, does she drink more than 6 oz in a day she's with you? How much?
6 oz is so far the most she has had in one feeding. Mom brings 2 6 oz bottles with about 4 to 5 extra ounces just in case she needs it. More often than not she does. So she gets between 12-18 oz while she's here 9 hrs. Even mom knows the 1 to 1.5 hrs rule too. She mentioned it to me.
Reply
Blackcat31 02:25 PM 10-28-2016
Originally Posted by adnilwis:
Good to know. Last fall I had a baby who was close to 10 lbs at birth and never took more than 5 oz in one sitting. All babies are different I know but wasn't sure if there was a limit. Thanks for the charts. Though it doesn't give hours in between each meal I'd guess it to be 3 or 4 at the most.
My babe has never gone beyond 3 hours. 3 hours in between is only if they drank the whole or almost the whole 6 oz's during one feeding. Typical is about 4.5-5 oz at one time.

2 meals/2 snacks is about 16-20 oz total for the day.
My babe is here 7:30-4:00. Mom brings frozen bags of breast milk in 4-6 oz bags.
I use 4 per day max. If baby ate just before being dropped off, I will use only 3 bags.

Baby is full time, 5 days a week and I've never gone beyond needing 4 bags of milk.

I have noticed just recently that baby is quicker about eating compared to in the past but I also think that is due to the faster flow nipple that mom switched out at the beginning of the 5th month. It takes about 15 minutes for the baby to eat. I don't know if that is fast or slow really but there is no spitting up or gas issues so it must be just right for him.

HTH
Reply
Solandia 03:41 PM 10-28-2016
Also, keep in mind the 6mo growth spurt is a doozy. I once had the daintiest of eaters double their intake for a period of time (like up to a week, eek!). And typically blow through their stash until mom's milk catches up (usually over a weekend).

I also cannot just sit there at let a baby cry in hunger...and if they don't take a nuk to comfort suck and nothing else soothes them...its either more food or go home to comfort nurse with mom.
Reply
Unregistered 08:51 PM 10-28-2016
That comfort nursing serves another purpose, to increase milk supply.
My 7 mo old dcb just went through a big increase a few weeks ago, from 4 oz to 6 oz three times a day, anywhere from 2 hrs to 4 hrs apart.
DC thought the constant nursing would never end but once her supply was up, he went back to normal.
Reply
adnilwis 12:02 PM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My babe has never gone beyond 3 hours. 3 hours in between is only if they drank the whole or almost the whole 6 oz's during one feeding. Typical is about 4.5-5 oz at one time.

2 meals/2 snacks is about 16-20 oz total for the day.
My babe is here 7:30-4:00. Mom brings frozen bags of breast milk in 4-6 oz bags.
I use 4 per day max. If baby ate just before being dropped off, I will use only 3 bags.

Baby is full time, 5 days a week and I've never gone beyond needing 4 bags of milk.

I have noticed just recently that baby is quicker about eating compared to in the past but I also think that is due to the faster flow nipple that mom switched out at the beginning of the 5th month. It takes about 15 minutes for the baby to eat. I don't know if that is fast or slow really but there is no spitting up or gas issues so it must be just right for him.

HTH
She will drink all 6 every time and be hungry again in 2.5 hours. Mom said she goes 3 hours between nursing sessions at home for its a quick session and 4 hours if it's a longer one. She sucks them dry every time! Mom is only bringing 2 6 oz bottles with an extra 2 oz ! I don't know if I should ask for more or just only make her take 3 or 4 oz at a time. I gave her 2 oz at 12:45 and she's still screaming. She won't leave until 4:45. She won't have any milk left if she gets hungry later if I give her the 6 now.
Reply
Leigh 12:21 PM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by adnilwis:
She will drink all 6 every time and be hungry again in 2.5 hours. Mom said she goes 3 hours between nursing sessions at home for its a quick session and 4 hours if it's a longer one. She sucks them dry every time! Mom is only bringing 2 6 oz bottles with an extra 2 oz ! I don't know if I should ask for more or just only make her take 3 or 4 oz at a time. I gave her 2 oz at 12:45 and she's still screaming. She won't leave until 4:45. She won't have any milk left if she gets hungry later if I give her the 6 now.
I require parents to sign a release/form/waiver/whatever you want to call it that gives me permission to supplement breast milk with formula if the mother is unable to provide enough breast milk to get the child through the day. This gives DCM an incentive to provide enough.

There are lots of women who can't keep up with demand, but there are also lots who WON'T. Those women only pump when they feel like it. They don't want to pump at work or middle of the night. There are those who want to drink alcohol on weekends and don't pump because of that on the weekend. Whatever the reason, DCM is obviously not providing you with enough milk to get through the day. I think it's time to give her a choice of supplementing with formula, finding a way to pump more, or picking up her child when you run out of milk.

Not all breastfed babies take 6 oz per sitting every 3 hours, but some do. I've had ones who would drink 2 oz, and ones who would drink 6-7. If the baby is giving you signs of hunger, the baby needs to be fed, regardless of whether DCM feels that she's sending enough milk already or whether a chart tells you differently. Hungry babies need to get fed. I require parents to have a minimum of 2 days' worth of milk on my premises, along with the release for formula-it does ensure that babies have what they need while they are here.
Reply
mommyneedsadayoff 12:32 PM 11-01-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I require parents to sign a release/form/waiver/whatever you want to call it that gives me permission to supplement breast milk with formula if the mother is unable to provide enough breast milk to get the child through the day. This gives DCM an incentive to provide enough.

There are lots of women who can't keep up with demand, but there are also lots who WON'T. Those women only pump when they feel like it. They don't want to pump at work or middle of the night. There are those who want to drink alcohol on weekends and don't pump because of that on the weekend. Whatever the reason, DCM is obviously not providing you with enough milk to get through the day. I think it's time to give her a choice of supplementing with formula, finding a way to pump more, or picking up her child when you run out of milk.

Not all breastfed babies take 6 oz per sitting every 3 hours, but some do. I've had ones who would drink 2 oz, and ones who would drink 6-7. If the baby is giving you signs of hunger, the baby needs to be fed, regardless of whether DCM feels that she's sending enough milk already or whether a chart tells you differently. Hungry babies need to get fed. I require parents to have a minimum of 2 days' worth of milk on my premises, along with the release for formula-it does ensure that babies have what they need while they are here.
I completely agree! The signed form is a great idea! Either they provide it, or we use the food resources at our disposal A great incentive for those who abhor supplementing!

I have found that many of the issues I have dealt with concenring breast fed babies and their moms have been due to mom not producing enough or not wanting to deal with pumping. It is either the mom who wants me to feed as little as possible to conserve milk, or the one who wants me to mimic breastfeeding to the point of insanity. The huge majority have been super great and just encompassed breastfeeding into their life style and into daycare life. No issues and happy babies
Reply
Tags:infant - meals, meal schedule
Reply Up