Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Room Question
Texanbaby87 01:26 PM 07-15-2009
I have a question about daycare state rules and regulations in Texas regarding a current situation.

I went on break and watched my daughter's class through the window. The teacher put her in the crib to go to sleep but she WAS NOT asleep. She cried to get out at first and gave up. They left her in there for about 15 minutes and I got mad and went in there and got her out myself. I told them that you can't put babies in the cribs if they are awake... One teacher said according to state you can for 30 mins if they are content.

I was always under the impression that you can not put a baby in the crib at all unless they are asleep but she says otherwise.

I told the directors and owner but I would like to know for myself if it is allowed or not by state if anyone knows for a fact.
Former Teacher 02:05 PM 07-15-2009
Yes you can put a infant in a crib awake for up to 30 mins as long as they are content. After the 30 mins. they must be taken out provided they are not asleep. It used to be 45 mins. but they changed it.

I found this out about a local daycare. An infant was content in her crib for 30 mins. The state inspector came in said that the child must be taken out of the crib since you cant have the infant in the crib longer than 30 mins. Well the caregiver did take the child out however after 10 mins., the infant was BACK in the crib. The caregiver argued since it wasnt CONTINUS it should be ok. The caregiver won. The center was not written up. Another reason why TX licensing are a bunch of hypocrites!
GretasLittleFriends 02:20 PM 07-15-2009
Originally Posted by Texanbaby87:
The teacher put her in the crib to go to sleep but she WAS NOT asleep. She cried to get out at first and gave up. They left her in there for about 15 minutes and I got mad and went in there and got her out myself.
I guess I'm confused... Is the teacher supposed to rock the infant to sleep and then put her in her crib? All of the kids in my care are awake when I put them down for a nap, whether it be on their mat or in their crib. I wouldn't think 15 minutes too long especially if the baby had a stimulating pre-nap time.

Is there a limit on how long a child is allowed to nap?

I didn't think my state had any regulations like this, but I'll have to look into that.
mac60 06:10 PM 07-15-2009
If you can't put an infant in their crib, just where are you supposed to keep them? I find the crazy regs of our government just that, crazy. In my home daycare, you will find an infant in one of these places here, in their bouncer, in the swing, or in their crib, or in my arms. And if they fall asleep in the bouncer or swing that is where they will stay. My motto is.....you never move or wake a sleeping baby from a nap.
tymaboy 05:51 AM 07-16-2009
I was always under the impression that you can not put a baby in the crib at all unless they are asleep but she says otherwise.
If a baby can not be in a crib unless it is sleeping then where is the baby supposed to be when it is time to go down for a nap? It does not hurt them at all to be placed in a crib when they are awake it help them to learn to self sooth & that they can not be held or get attention constantly. This is one of the reasons I am having problems with my youngest baby, the mother finaly got the point a few weeks ago & sees the problem with not just laying the baby down when she needs to sleep.
Unregistered 05:36 AM 07-19-2009
No offense... But I think you may be being a little sensitive about your little one and the realities of daycare. You said she was crying in her crib and "gave up" but it had only been 15 minutes... wow. When a baby is really upset, they ususally dont give up crying in 15 minutes, At least no baby I know. You need to trust your childs teacher to put him/her to bed when they see signs she/he is tired. Sometimes kids cry/fuss to fall asleep. If you dont trust her to make that decision you might need to make different arragements for your baby.
Unregistered 12:40 PM 07-20-2009
I'm sorry to say this and I don't mean to be mean but it seems like you are the type of parent who wants all the attention on their child and has a panic attack whenever your child cries if you want your child held and coddle you need to hire a nanny or quit your job until she is older my son is three months old he is my first and i watch and observe everything in the nursery he attends I am just as protective of him as you are of your daughter but seriously we need to draw the line somewhere it is not your home and the daycare provider is not YOU she has other children to take care of and your precious angel will not die from 30 min of self time! GET OVER IT it was not that serious.
I have a question about daycare state rules and regulations in Texas regarding a current situation.

I went on break and watched my daughter's class through the window. The teacher put her in the crib to go to sleep but she WAS NOT asleep. She cried to get out at first and gave up. They left her in there for about 15 minutes and I got mad and went in there and got her out myself. I told them that you can't put babies in the cribs if they are awake... One teacher said according to state you can for 30 mins if they are content.

I told the directors and owner but I would like to know for myself if it is allowed or not by state if anyone knows for a fact.

SimpleMom 04:55 PM 07-22-2009
I always have a hard time when my children cry to sleep as well. It doesn't take long to rock them. Some people mind and some don't. I'm not sure about crib time limits. I know that you can't let the babies cry for more than 10 or 20 minutes and that you need to check on them every 5 min or so (and let them know you love them, are right there, and rub thier backs a bit--something so that they see you didn't abandon them).

I have one little one that I rock to sleep and he always wakes up (no matter how sound) as soon as he feels himself being put in the crib. Not sure how he does that

I tried just laying him in the crib, since it's the same reaction either way, but he cries so hard and it doesn't work. I just wait until it works to rock him and rock him.

I know his mom sleeps with him a lot...again, I did the same with my own.
Chickenhauler 08:57 PM 07-24-2009

Not sure about TX law, but common sense says when a child who normally has a sunny disposition has a full belly and clean shorts, yet is cranky, clingy, and whiney, it's time for a nap, but they just don't know it.

Put them down, and usually within a minute or two, they are "lights out"....some kids take longer to realize that they are tired.
seashell 08:46 AM 07-28-2009

There is nothing wrong with the child being in the crib, especially at nap time. Children need to learn to fall asleep on their own, in their crib, and most babies cried for a few minutes before they do go to sleep.
panthatheprince 10:22 AM 08-05-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
No offense... But I think you may be being a little sensitive about your little one and the realities of daycare. You said she was crying in her crib and "gave up" but it had only been 15 minutes... wow. When a baby is really upset, they ususally dont give up crying in 15 minutes, At least no baby I know. You need to trust your childs teacher to put him/her to bed when they see signs she/he is tired. Sometimes kids cry/fuss to fall asleep. If you dont trust her to make that decision you might need to make different arragements for your baby.
Took the words out of my mouth. The best you can do is suggest to the provider to not put your child in the crib if they are crying but even that is a stretch.
Tags:infant room, texas - regulations
Reply Up