Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sad and Out of Sorts
SilverSabre25 05:14 AM 05-09-2012
So much stress lately.

DH tried a new job that turned out terribly, now he's out of work and we are depending on my income to survive. It's less than HALF of what we need. State assistance is s-l-o-w to get approved for and on Friday I found out that one of my dcb's is leaving my care in two weeks. That'll be another $480 a month we aren't getting paid.

DH is applying for jobs left and right but isn't getting calls back. He got tons of calls when he got laid off last fall, but now his work history looks sucky (three different jobs in six months) and I am afraid that's why he's not getting anything, and won't get anything, and he'll have to go to McD's or something which STILL won't be enough $$ for us to survive. We're facing foreclosure and a lot of other bad stuff right now.

Then on top of this, yesterday, dcm-turned-close-friend lost the baby she was carrying and of course I feel awful for her and am mourning that loss because I know how much she desperately wanted that baby.

I can't muster the enthusiasm or energy for much of anything and am very glad that today the kids are behaving. Knowing my group, that's short-lived but whatever. I'm just having a hard time today.
Kiki 05:21 AM 05-09-2012
Well that sounds not so good. Hopefully it all turns around quickly for you! If you don't mind me asking-what line of work is your husband in?
SilverSabre25 05:27 AM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
Well that sounds not so good. Hopefully it all turns around quickly for you! If you don't mind me asking-what line of work is your husband in?
Thanks. At the moment DH is in "anything he can get" but before this he worked in customer service (call centers) for about 5.5 years, and then got an insurance license but selling insurance is NOT his thing--100% commission does NOT support a family, not starting out anyway.
Kiki 05:37 AM 05-09-2012
Oo yea, my cousin is an insurance agent as well, she's been at it for almost 3 years and I think she's just starting to make money off of it. So def not something you can support a family on. I did call centers for awhile too.

Are there any production jobs or anything he can apply for? Those usually start out decent, at least better than a fast food place would. I'm assuming that your at your limit for kids, so getting more probably isn't an option? Either way, chin up! Things will go soon!
Lilbutterflie 05:38 AM 05-09-2012
Oh my. I am so sorry. My SIL and her family went through this not too long ago. All I can say is, get as much assistance as possible! Food banks from local churches, state assistance (I know you said you've already applied and it's slow), call your mortgage company and see what they can do. If you go to church, get the word out through prayer requests (it is AMAZING what a church can do to help!!). Look into every single possible avenue that you or others can think of to limit your financial stress. If you or your husband has a 401K, consider taking a loan from it, or a withdrawl due to financial hardship (you would most likely qualify to take the money out without penalty).

I'll be praying for you SilverSabre! Hopefully things turn around soon!
lil angels 05:41 AM 05-09-2012
(((hugs)))). I don't have much to offer it hang in there and I am thinks of you and praying.

Try and get those advertisements out there so you can get that spot filled again right away. It will all work out you'll see.
AfterSchoolMom 05:53 AM 05-09-2012
Oh, Silver, I'm sorry. I wish I had some advice to give, but the previous posters have covered everything I could think of. Just keep praying and think positive thoughts - even if you have to fake them. ((hugs))
cheerfuldom 05:55 AM 05-09-2012
I'm sorry, that sounds really tough. Just a thought but does he HAVE to put the past job or two on the resume? A gap might be better than listing three jobs that didnt work out.
Kiki 05:58 AM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I'm sorry, that sounds really tough. Just a thought but does he HAVE to put the past job or two on the resume? A gap might be better than listing three jobs that didnt work out.

This, or maybe if they were through temp services, just a little note on his resume next to them that states, 'Through xx temp services' so they see it wasn't really an option for leaving? (I don't know if that's the case, but I'm assuming it is.)

And yes! Make sure you go to your church, also, maybe call your state and see if you qualify for expedited help?
jen 06:09 AM 05-09-2012
Hugs. That sucks. Sending prayers and positive thoughts that things turn around quickly.
littlemissmuffet 06:45 AM 05-09-2012
Big hugs. Hoping everything turns around quickly, for you and your family, Silver.

I have one little bit of advice as a former manager... having three jobs is six months, no matter the circumstances doesn't look good for your hubs. So, I recommend removing those... or just leaving the one he was at the longest. Many managers would rather see a period of not working than a period of having many short-term jobs.

Good luck!
CheekyChick 06:53 AM 05-09-2012
I'm so sorry you're having a hard time. I will say a prayer for you that your husband finds a job and for the mommy who lost her baby.

Things WILL get better. They always do.
momofsix 06:55 AM 05-09-2012
I'm sorry you're dealing with all of this now. Know that you/re being thought of and prayed for by people all over the country (and beyond!)
MyAngels 07:22 AM 05-09-2012
I'm sorry that your family is going through a difficult time - (((hugs))) for all of you.

I'm sure he's already thought of this, but since your DH already has his insurance licenses he should definitely look at other insurance companies. Sales is always a difficult line of work, but there are several insurance companies that provide great training and financial support while you build your "book." My DH worked for one of the major companies for about 10 years and it was an excellent choice to get started.
momofboys 07:26 AM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
So much stress lately.

DH tried a new job that turned out terribly, now he's out of work and we are depending on my income to survive. It's less than HALF of what we need. State assistance is s-l-o-w to get approved for and on Friday I found out that one of my dcb's is leaving my care in two weeks. That'll be another $480 a month we aren't getting paid.

DH is applying for jobs left and right but isn't getting calls back. He got tons of calls when he got laid off last fall, but now his work history looks sucky (three different jobs in six months) and I am afraid that's why he's not getting anything, and won't get anything, and he'll have to go to McD's or something which STILL won't be enough $$ for us to survive. We're facing foreclosure and a lot of other bad stuff right now.

Then on top of this, yesterday, dcm-turned-close-friend lost the baby she was carrying and of course I feel awful for her and am mourning that loss because I know how much she desperately wanted that baby.

I can't muster the enthusiasm or energy for much of anything and am very glad that today the kids are behaving. Knowing my group, that's short-lived but whatever. I'm just having a hard time today.
Oh no this is very tough! Offering you virtual hugs & prayers & letting you know I am hoping things take a turn for the better! Keep your chin up & DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!!
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 05-09-2012
Aw, Silver....Super big ((((HUGS)))) to you!!!

I wish I could help in some way! Life definitely likes to throw those curve balls at us and sometimes even appears to be mocking us, however, don't lose sight of the blessings you do have! You and your family are healthy and love each other. Together you can make it through anything!

My family has faced tough times and a ton of crappy situations but muddled through together....please know that you are NEVER and no matter, what you have support here from your virtual friends!

I may not be able to offer your DH a job or put food on your table or work with your mortgage company but I can surely be a shoulder to cry on, a warm wish, or happy thought for you! I can be supportive and encouraging as well as a great listener too!

Hang in there and good things WILL come your way......I believe in karma and you are one of the most deserving people I 'know' so I also believe that you and your family WILL overcome this hurdle and be stronger despite and becasue of it!!!

Sending tons of love and good wishes and thoughts your way!!
MN Day Mom 07:40 AM 05-09-2012
So sorry you are dealing with so much right now. Prayers for you, your family and your daycare family/friend who lost her baby. Hugs!!
temom 07:45 AM 05-09-2012
Silver, you are in my prayers. i am so sorry your family has to go through this, i pray things turn around for you quickly and works out for the best.
SunshineMama 08:15 AM 05-09-2012
PM me if you like- I was in charge of loss mitigation for 2 of the largest banks in our city before I did daycare, I may be able to point pu in the right direction to help you avoid foreclosure.

Sorry you are going through all of this stress right now when I am feeling like my world is spinning out of control I try to remember that, no matter what, as long as I have my husband and kids and we are all together we will be okay. Hang in there! God only gives you what you can handle, He must think you are very strong!
Country Kids 08:25 AM 05-09-2012
Silver, we went through a job loss last year after being with the company 16 years. Wasn't the companies fault just the economy. Took hubs only 2 months to find something new.

Have your hubby get a great resume together. See if someone you know can help him put one together or see if there is a class he can take at the unemployment office.

Have him apply everywhere! Have him look on your states website as that is where my hubby found his new job and believe you me that isn't what he had done before. What got him the job was having great customer service skills. There are many job websites from employers looking for people.

IF you ever need to talk please feel free to pm me! I know what your going through (except for the pregnancy) but will offer any support/advice I can!!

Lots of and coming your way!
dave4him 08:28 AM 05-09-2012
Hang in there. I know the feeling there, your hubby no doubt feeling pretty lost at thie point, just keep him busy while he looks. I dont know about your personal faith, but i couldnt get through my own unemployment without trusting God and letting him work through me. Its a hard place to be
Meeko 08:39 AM 05-09-2012
Aw..Silver......wish I had a way to take away the stress. All I can do is say you are in my thoughts and prayers. Been there/done that........no fun.

HUGS comin' your way .....we're all cheering for you. xx
Christian Mother 09:51 AM 05-09-2012
I am sorry Silver!! I will be praying for your family....I understand completely what your going through we just went through the exact same thing although I'm not pregnant. It so scary, so frustrating..you are probably in shock right now which is what I went through plus many more emotions...trust in the Lord...he got me through every thing...We looked into foreclosure, bankruptcy, and ended up doing a short sale that went through and closed all in 2 months. Hubby found a job in 6 months. He ended up going out side of town to find work as there was nothing in his field where we live. He walked company to company dressed in interview close handing out his resume. He ended up getting hired by doing just that for a AWESOME company with full benefits, 401K, great family friend company that pays very well. God is the one to thank for all this as he had completely answered all our prayers and it all worked out to a "T" which is something God could only do. When I tell people what we've been through...how we where able to get out of it...it all was done perfectly...I couldn't have planned any of the way it worked out...that was God in his own perfect plan. And trust Him...he will get you through this..I am a perfect person of how God has worked in my life.
Hunni Bee 10:13 AM 05-09-2012
That sounds like a ton of stress. Im sorry you're going through that. Hope you receive a blessing soon
Sugar Magnolia 10:44 AM 05-09-2012
I'm so sorry Silver. I wish I could take away your pain. I hope he finds a good job soon. Hugs for you. Been there.
karen 10:58 AM 05-09-2012
I am sorry Silver!!!!! Don't give up hope I am sure your honey will find something. Has he tried
indeed.com
careerboard.com
careerbuilder.com
monster.com
try all the local papers in your area.
As far as work issues on resume take off some of those jobs and he could put down that he has been a stay at home dad for the past 6 monts.
Re vamp his resume send it to all the companies in your area that he is interested in working for. Even if they don't have an ad out because you never know what is going on inside the company maybe someone is leaving and they haven't put an ad out yet.
Seriously nothing wrong with working at MCd's some income is better than no income!!!!!
How about honey work with you and maybe you can get a second or third shift started as I am sure their is a need.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!! It will work out for you and your family!!!!
WImom 11:10 AM 05-09-2012
Sorry your going through this. Hopefully things will turn around soon. I know when I was a stay at home mom I did some typing jobs online but I remember seeing a bunch of customer service/call center stuff. Could he do that from home while he is still looking for a job?
CKSher 11:31 AM 05-09-2012
So sorry to hear that you are going through so many awful things at once. I am praying for you and your hubby! We all have our dark and dreary days, but just know that the sun will rise again soon and things will start looking so much better. Hugs!!!
mema 11:34 AM 05-09-2012
Hugs and prayers coming at ya. Keep your chin up. It will all work out.
SilverSabre25 11:47 AM 05-09-2012
Thank you so much everyone. It's nice to know there's so much support in this community.

We've been looking in lots of differnt places for jobs for DH. I do most of the searching because he's stuck at "call center" and I keep branching out for him.

Today I did manage to convince him to take at least one of the short-term jobs off his resume. He's all "but now I'm LYING" and "They'll find out..." not if you don't tell them...
Live and Learn 12:15 PM 05-09-2012
So sorry Silver.

I know that the last few years have been rough for a lot of families so you are not alone. The economy was in such rough shape four or five years ago. On the brink of collapse. It is just taking so long to dig out of the hole the economy was in. Mean while we are all dancing as fast as we can to keep up with our obligations. I'm still mad at Wall Street!!!!!

Best wishes to you and your family. Can you muster up enough energy to do something nice for someone worse off than you?..... maybe organize a clothing drive for a foster child closet? What goes around comes around. KWIM? GOOD LUCK!
Ariana 12:20 PM 05-09-2012
Oh my gosh Silver that is sooooo much to deal with right now. I can't even begin to comprehend the stress you must be feeling. The only advice I can give is to TRY and take care of your mental health right now.

I will be thinking of you and praying for you and your family [[[[hugs]]]]
My3cents 07:41 AM 05-10-2012
thoughts prayers and hugs be with you-

Hang in there- life will get better.

Good advice up above me.....

I believe God doesn't give us more then we can handle, he does push us at times it seems. I also believe he equips us to better ourselves, but it is left in our hands what we do with it. Dave- this was for you too-

Again, hang in there and don't let yourself get down, you need all your strength right now. Find the happy moments and seize them- everything else will fall into place. Fix the resume and head your hubby out and into the job market with positives that will radiate in his interviews. hugs
Crystal 08:16 AM 05-10-2012
So sorry to hear this. Big hugs, and I hope things look up soon.
daycare 08:25 AM 05-10-2012
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking

I don't know who quoted this, but my mom tells me this all of the time....

Stay positive and be strong. YOU CAN change anything if you want to.
Reply Up