Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do? Re: Spaces/Money
dEHmom 11:44 AM 05-11-2012
Ok, I have a question, I have a preschool space open right, and an infant space opening up in 3 weeks.

I am contacting families with 2 children first, simply because they really want them together, but most aren't looking to start for a few more months minimum. Not many like to pay for something they don't need yet.

But as I am sitting here thinking about this, I start to realize that 1 of my infants will soon be moving into preschool slot (which means $5 cut per day almost based on governments rates). In August this will be the case, so 3 months from now.

I'd much rather wait to fill the spot with a new infant, than have all my current infants move up to preschool and take a $10 cut per day between the 2 of them, and not have any infants!

Do you ladies sit on a spot like this if you know it's coming available soon? i realize people may come or go at any point but I hate the thought of having no infants in here, because not only would i have the pay cuts, i'd also lose on my grants as well.
cheerfuldom 11:47 AM 05-11-2012
I am not in this situation and frankly, am a little confused with the scenario. But I do think that you should base the decision on what is best for YOU and if that means getting in new people, waiting it out, or whatever, do that. Grants are a big deal so you dont want to get stuck with no infants, for sure! if the spots are changing in the next few months, I would start advertising right now because people shop around early for infant spots. I am getting calls right now for infants needing care in August and even in fall. Parents with babies want stuff settled way in advance from my experience.
dEHmom 11:51 AM 05-11-2012
yeah, there are people on the wait list who have just conceived!

I realize a lot can happen in 3 months, but hate the thought of filling my preschool space, and then having all preschool-agers, and no infants at all which means WAY less money. But I hate the thought of sitting on empty space for 3 months as well.
Meyou 04:26 AM 05-12-2012
I've sat on a spot for 4 months now to take a new infant rather than an older child. I prefer to start them at 10-12 months if I can so it's worth it to wait until one of my kids moved from one category to the other.

I would sit on it myself. I've turned away several kids that would have worked out waiting my one of my one year olds to turn two. In the long run it's better for me to have a new infant. I like the transition much better and there is less turnover than taking on an older child.
dEHmom 06:24 AM 05-12-2012
Thank you Meyou!

That is what I have decided to do. I found 2 families that have perfect timing, they are coming for interviews, so I hope it goes well and they place deposits!

It would be nice to start an infant 3mth + but we're lucky if we get a 9 mth old here. Most moms won't go back to work until they are 11 or 12 mths. But I explained to dh that I'm going to skip on the preschool spot, and hold it. Because as you stated, preschool turnover is high! I've filled this spot several times, but the kids are so bad I either have to let them go, or the parents decide the fights aren't worth it.
Reply Up