Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone read through the propsed CACFP changes- Comments?
spedmommy4 04:55 PM 04-04-2015
http://www.cacfp.org/regulations-leg...meal-patterns/

The link to the proposed changes is above. I got an urgent email from my sponsor yesterday encouraging me to make comments at the regulations.gov website. My big concern was that they seem to be getting stricter, and this generally discourages providers from participating. I was also a little concerned that they seem to be pushing solids at a young age. I know my own experiences are skewed because I have been working with little ones that are behind in their development, but I have met lots of parents that prefer to delay the introduction of solids until 9 months. Thoughts everyone?
Thriftylady 05:00 PM 04-04-2015
I don't understand the problem with flavored milks. You can get low sugar varieties. For the longest time that was all my son would drink, he just didn't like milk.
spedmommy4 05:21 PM 04-04-2015
I don't either. I drink it at lunch with the dck and we talk about how it builds strong bones but I still throw away so much milk. I wish I could just serve what I know they will drink and keep a pitcher on the table to offer more if needed.
jenboo 05:40 PM 04-04-2015
I hate milk! I think it is disgusting and not for humans.
My family does not drink cows milk.
Gemma 06:26 PM 04-04-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I don't understand the problem with flavored milks. You can get low sugar varieties. For the longest time that was all my son would drink, he just didn't like milk.
I don't get all the fuss over milk period! ...the only thing I see happening since I switched to 1%, is kids no longer drink the milk I serve, they take one or two sips and the rest of it ends up down the drain....what a waste!
Thriftylady 07:31 AM 04-05-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I don't get all the fuss over milk period! ...the only thing I see happening since I switched to 1%, is kids no longer drink the milk I serve, they take one or two sips and the rest of it ends up down the drain....what a waste!
Yes, there is no nutrition in what you don't eat or drink. I remember when I was a kid, we would stop at the small local dairy and buy fresh milk. Most states it isn't legal to buy it that way anymore, but I still think it was better for us.
Blackcat31 07:59 AM 04-05-2015
Other threads about the proposed CACFP changes

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...t=food+program

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76882

Chocolate and other flavored milk? The new standards allow skim “flavored” milk (translation: sugar-sweetened). Otherwise, says USDA, kids might not drink milk and will not get enough calcium. Sigh. Milk, as I keep saying, is not an essential nutrient. Chocolate or strawberry milk is a dessert. Chalk this one up to dairy lobbying.

Fwiw~ I don't think the push for certain foods has anything to do with what is or isn't "good" or healthy for people.

It's about funding/money from corn/milk industries.

Watch Food Inc or any of the "food industry" documentaries out there. Most will explain how one industry "supports" certain ideals and ways of thinking.

Do you really think corn chips (or some of the other ridiculous things listed as approved) are healthy options for kids?

Guidelines are not based on science but are designed to promote the products of commodity agriculture

Food industry pressure has made nutritional guidelines confusing.
"As Nestle explained in Food Politics, the food industry has a history of preferring scientific jargon to straight talk. As far back as 1977, public health officials attempted to include the advice "reduce consumption of meat" in an important report called Dietary Goals for the United States. The report’s authors capitulated to intense pushback from the cattle industry and used this less-direct and more ambiguous advice: "Choose meats, poultry, and fish which will reduce saturated fat intake."

The food industry funds front groups that fight anti-obesity public health initiatives.
Unless you follow politics closely, you wouldn’t necessarily realize that a group with a name like the Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) has anything to do with the food industry. In fact,Ludwig and Nestle point out, this group lobbies aggressively against obesity-related public health campaigns—such as the one directed at removing junk food from schools—and is funded, according to the Center for Media and Democracy, primarily through donations from big food companies such as Coca-Cola, Cargill, Tyson Foods, and Wendy’s.
(http://www.yourwellness.com/2011/10/...t-you-to-know/)
A frightening look at what the changes could look like:

http://civileats.com/2015/02/10/this...uld-look-like/

A really good site to follow that has lots of good ideas/education about the truth behind our food industry is food politics .com

my two cents.
NoMoreJuice! 04:08 PM 04-05-2015
All I want to say is Bravo Blackcat! I can't stand how the government is being manipulated by lobbyists and manipulating us in turn. But I'll still take that check every month.
Thriftylady 05:13 AM 04-06-2015
I do agree with you BC. But I also see that the way people eat without the lobbying and such in general is well, I am not even sure what to call it. I see people who don't eat anything that wasn't processed from a box. You see it in the daycare kids who don't want to even try fresh foods. It is a battle that I don't see us as providers winning.
LindseyA 06:00 AM 04-06-2015
I have so many 'picky eaters' it's really sad. Half of them don't even touch the fruits and veggies I serve everyday and that in itself is frustrating because they are expensive! It makes me not want to put it on their plates because I know it will be thrown in the garbage. But I serve it hopes that they will be hungry enough to try it. We've tried the No Thank You Bites until I got a dck with a nasty gag reflex and would vomit anything that was put in his mouth that he didn't like. Thats frustrating. I feel like I'm starving them, but I refuse to serve something different for the picky ones.
Blackcat31 06:16 AM 04-06-2015
I do agree with you BC. But I also see that the way people eat without the lobbying and such in general is well, I am not even sure what to call it. I see people who don't eat anything that wasn't processed from a box. You see it in the daycare kids who don't want to even try fresh foods. It is a battle that I don't see us as providers winning.
Originally Posted by LindseyA:
I have so many 'picky eaters' it's really sad. Half of them don't even touch the fruits and veggies I serve everyday and that in itself is frustrating because they are expensive! It makes me not want to put it on their plates because I know it will be thrown in the garbage. But I serve it hopes that they will be hungry enough to try it. We've tried the No Thank You Bites until I got a dck with a nasty gag reflex and would vomit anything that was put in his mouth that he didn't like. Thats frustrating. I feel like I'm starving them, but I refuse to serve something different for the picky ones.
The money spent on the food program would be better spent on parent education.

Schools and child cares already understand and promote healthy eating as part of the curriculum of teaching and caring for kids.

There needs to be a better way to educate and support parents in teaching their kids to eat healthy. It starts at home.

I've had DCK's from infancy to birth become fantastic eaters while here....willing to try everything, liking and asking for seconds on vegetables etc.

Then the child goes off to school and I have them back one day when school is out and EVERY.SINGLE thing healthy eating habit has been erased.
I've seen it happen time and time again.
LysesKids 08:07 AM 04-06-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The money spent on the food program would be better spent on parent education.

Schools and child cares already understand and promote healthy eating as part of the curriculum of teaching and caring for kids.

There needs to be a better way to educate and support parents in teaching their kids to eat healthy. It starts at home.

I've had DCK's from infancy to birth become fantastic eaters while here....willing to try everything, liking and asking for seconds on vegetables etc.

Then the child goes off to school and I have them back one day when school is out and EVERY.SINGLE thing healthy eating habit has been erased.
I've seen it happen time and time again.
I had one just age out ( she;s just turning 2)... she's having problems in the new daycare center; she hates their food & is constantly asking for water to drink, but they still don't give her more than 2 small cups a day - the child is constipated and mom has opted out of FP so she can send meals we know little miss will eat ... BTW, I serve a variety of organic veg starting at first foods - this child will scarf down broccoli, asparagus & mushrooms, but she avoids the chicken nuggets & fries they tried pushing on her at the new place lol ( their menu rarely varies week to week). She has never seen a nugget or hotdog until 2 weeks ago... I always serve roasted chicken, fish etc, not pre-packaged crap. How many babes do you know will eat cheddar on rye bread for grilled cheese? Samosas with mango chutney? Her mom is doing Bento lunches now and the school hates it
Thriftylady 10:36 AM 04-06-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I had one just age out ( she;s just turning 2)... she's having problems in the new daycare center; she hates their food & is constantly asking for water to drink, but they still don't give her more than 2 small cups a day - the child is constipated and mom has opted out of FP so she can send meals we know little miss will eat ... BTW, I serve a variety of organic veg starting at first foods - this child will scarf down broccoli, asparagus & mushrooms, but she avoids the chicken nuggets & fries they tried pushing on her at the new place lol ( their menu rarely varies week to week). She has never seen a nugget or hotdog until 2 weeks ago... I always serve roasted chicken, fish etc, not pre-packaged crap. How many babes do you know will eat cheddar on rye bread for grilled cheese? Samosas with mango chutney? Her mom is doing Bento lunches now and the school hates it
How are they getting by with limiting her water? That doesn't make any sense to me. I mean it is free, well mostly anyway. It is the one thing I allow my kiddos to have freely and unlimited.
daycarediva 10:48 AM 04-06-2015
I don't think flavored milk should be allowed. There is a TON of added sugar, preservatives, food dyes and the 'low sugar' variety is full of horrible sugar substitutes.

I think milk should be OPTIONAL, and water should be the substitute. I am all for NO juice.

Why can I serve pop tarts and doughnuts? Why is my whole wheat/whole grain, 3-4 ingredient/bakery fresh bread credited for the same amount as someone who serves preservative and processed plain white bread.

I think the food program pushes too much fruit, and wayyy too much grain.

I also think providers should have to list EVERYTHING they serve kids. Eg. parties- no more than once/month for sweets and then limited servings (1!!!!!!!!)

I had to take 3 candy bars and 1 doughnut away from kids coming in this morning. ALL happily ate my plain homemade whole wheat organic pancakes with applesauce to dip and organic bananas with organic skim milk.

Education starts at home. If you serve junk, they will eat junk. THAT is why we have an obesity epidemic, the same reason we have an entitlement epidemic. Bad/lazy parenting.
Thriftylady 01:23 PM 04-06-2015
I really don't have any issue with flavored milk in moderation. But then that is the problem right? Moderation is not typically used anymore. I remember when I was little pop was a treat we had once in awhile. Now kids seem to drink it daily. Same with things like pop tarts and candy bars, they were a treat back in the day. Now they are an everyday diet staple.
LysesKids 01:46 PM 04-06-2015
How are they getting by with limiting her water? That doesn't make any sense to me. I mean it is free, well mostly anyway. It is the one thing I allow my kiddos to have freely and unlimited.
That's just it, this kid is very verbal and can ask for water (she's still in the infant /toddler room for 6 more months); the older kids have a mini fountain in their room which she does know how to work (yep, I know)... I always kept her sippy filled; apparently they are doing juice at snack which dck doesn't drink and none of the others touch water... she was taught to eat whole fresh fruit. she won't drink the milk either... she was raised on organic, cream at the top kind. regular milk tastes funny to her. Her mom has already talked to the director twice... until I clued her in she didn't know all the rules for a center
daycarediva 05:33 AM 04-07-2015
I really don't have any issue with flavored milk in moderation. But then that is the problem right? Moderation is not typically used anymore. I remember when I was little pop was a treat we had once in awhile. Now kids seem to drink it daily. Same with things like pop tarts and candy bars, they were a treat back in the day. Now they are an everyday diet staple.

I have two kids who are bribed with candy/junk to do EVERYTHING. Last night at pick up
"Put your shoes on, lets go."
"How many jellybeans are you gonna give me?"
"2."
"NO! 10!"
"fine, 10."
*kid puts shoes on*
"Get your coat and check your folder."
"How many jellybeans?"

continue until they were arguing in the car about the buckle. I'm sure the kid ended up with the bag by bedtime.
spedmommy4 06:45 AM 04-07-2015
This is just scary.

Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I have two kids who are bribed with candy/junk to do EVERYTHING. Last night at pick up
"Put your shoes on, lets go."
"How many jellybeans are you gonna give me?"
"2."
"NO! 10!"
"fine, 10."
*kid puts shoes on*
"Get your coat and check your folder."
"How many jellybeans?"

continue until they were arguing in the car about the buckle. I'm sure the kid ended up with the bag by bedtime.

Blackcat31 01:12 PM 05-12-2015
Last chance to voice your opinions and give comments for the proposed changes to CACFP

http://www.cacfpmealpatterns.com/pro...el-letter.html
LysesKids 03:17 PM 05-12-2015
Yes, there is no nutrition in what you don't eat or drink. I remember when I was a kid, we would stop at the small local dairy and buy fresh milk. Most states it isn't legal to buy it that way anymore, but I still think it was better for us.
It's legal still in a few states including AR and here if you own a cow share... you have to go out to the actual farm and it's a little more $, but I love fresh raw milk (not something most younger providers would have ever tasted probably); it's nothing like the store bought stuff most people drink now.

We also have a farm near me that still does just pasteurizing, but doesn't mix the cream into the milk; I buy cream @ the top milk all the time for my daycare and food program never said anything to me (my kids are all under 2)
Unregistered 04:08 PM 05-12-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I hate milk! I think it is disgusting and not for humans.
My family does not drink cows milk.
Ditto!
The dairy business is inhumane to me. I hate having to buy it!
kitykids3 05:04 PM 05-12-2015
I really hope they aren't going to make us add another component to the late infants' snack. I think a bottle is sufficient and trying to add a fruit or veggie to a baby that might not have teeth yet is going to be similar to a meal without mixing the cereal into the food. smh. Yet for all that extra work in the afternoon we'll still only get reimbursed the approx .60 per snack. So while we're wanting to get dressed to go outside, instead I might be spoon feeding 3 infants they're afternoon 'snack.' We might not get out in the afternoon in the winters when it's dark at 4:30. Plus not all infants are ready for solids at 6 months, yet they want to reduce obesity while we add more food to the infant which may also risk them not drinking as much of their 'milk', the primary source of nutrition.
LysesKids 06:27 PM 05-12-2015
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
I really hope they aren't going to make us add another component to the late infants' snack. I think a bottle is sufficient and trying to add a fruit or veggie to a baby that might not have teeth yet is going to be similar to a meal without mixing the cereal into the food. smh. Yet for all that extra work in the afternoon we'll still only get reimbursed the approx .60 per snack. So while we're wanting to get dressed to go outside, instead I might be spoon feeding 3 infants they're afternoon 'snack.' We might not get out in the afternoon in the winters when it's dark at 4:30. Plus not all infants are ready for solids at 6 months, yet they want to reduce obesity while we add more food to the infant which may also risk them not drinking as much of their 'milk', the primary source of nutrition.
And this is only part of why I dropped the Food Program... I do 4 weeks - 18 months only
Reply Up