Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Sad, What Am I Doing Wrong?
MommyMuffin 05:17 AM 07-29-2015
I am just starting out after being closed for a few years. I live in the south part of town so getting interviews has been difficult. I have had 3 interviews now and the one last night made me feel so awful, I cried on my way to my childcare class.

I am in a different home than I started. I have an older home. I don't have a lot of money. I do the best I can to make it look nice. I didn't want to have my whole living room turned into centers and such. I wanted a "home" environment. I have a cute book case, push toys and a long narrow shelf that I have clear bins with toys in it. I explain to parents that I rotate toys....because I have a ton of toys.

Last time I started my daycare I charged 20 less than average to attract customers. But I feel like I am qualified to charge an average rate. I am a nurse, I have background with children. I love children. I have a large backyard.

Anyways I'm just sick of the bad interviews. I feel like they stick their noses up at me and nit pick my environment. It makes me so uncomfortable. I am trying not to take it so personally because I understand they are looking for the best.

I love kids, I want some to start in my care so I can just love on them'! But I'm getting so discouraged...I don't have money to make my environment look like a lot of you who post pics.

Any advice...I'm feeling defeated.

The daycares that I have brought my kids to were not set up like centers...they were home environment's and I liked it...

I have 2 interviews for tomorrow. I have only been bringing parents to the upstairs living room, where I would like to do childcare and rotate toys from the basement.
The only thing I can think of the change is...should I organize downstairs in "centers".
My basement is old, smells musty. It is clean and has carpeting and painted walls but there is only one adult chair. So it would truly just be toys and make shift "centers" out of what I have.....advice?
Play Care 05:51 AM 07-29-2015
I would bring out the toys and set up the room as you would have it when you have kids there. It's really hard for parents to visualize how you would set things up. For instance, my last interview I had had the day off, so my house was spotless and the toys picked up and put away. I could tell mom seemed unsure about that- and I've been in business for over 10 years, have had several of her co-workers as clients, and am always full. Now because of those factors I was able to reassure her, but if you are just starting out I can see the parents being unsure.

You say your home is older - is there a musty odor throughout, or just in the basement? Do you have a dehumidifier running? Not to offend, but how does your home look when you pull up? Is it well maintained with nice landscaping? Or is there peeling paint, sagging porches, missing shutters, etc? If there were obvious maintenance issues, I would be hesitant to enroll my kids because it might mean the provider won't have the money to provide the appropriate environment, toys, food, etc. With any business it does take money to make money...
Hope your other interviews go well and you get some kids!
rosieteddy 06:06 AM 07-29-2015
I to think you should set up like you would on day of interview. Maybe have table activities on table you plan to use for dc. Maybe set up yard to show outside activities. As other poster mentioned spruce up entryway.
Heidi 06:11 AM 07-29-2015
I get what you're saying, because I used to have a shared space, too.

For daycare interviews, I'd "do it up" a little.

Also, if you have a lot of toys to rotate, is there a closet in the front room or nearby that you can organize and use to display the toys? Then, you could open it and show them the overstock.

I think I might also be tempted to bake some fresh cookies or bread right before the interview. Aromatherapy!
bklsmum 06:19 AM 07-29-2015
I think I would do whatever I could to combat the musty smell in the basement and set that up. I have found that bigger spaces are more enticing to parents.
MommyMuffin 06:24 AM 07-29-2015
I'm trying to upload pics so you all can see but it isn't working. Any tips? I am going to attachments and upload and taking pics on my phone and iPad but it just freezes when I hit upload
MommyMuffin 07:03 AM 07-29-2015
The areas are messy because my parents watched kids last night and let them go amuck...but with clean up...which area should I use?
The first one is my basement...just my own kids play area right now. The second picture is my upstairs where I have been interviewing because I wanted a more home based daycare.
I do not have dck otherwise this would have been cleaned up this morning...so please don't hate on the mess
Attached: rsz_img_5352.jpg (113.1 KB) rsz_img_5355.jpg (90.4 KB) 
bklsmum 07:10 AM 07-29-2015
Looking at your pics I would absolutely use the downstairs area and make it more daycare-ee.
yodaone 07:25 AM 07-29-2015
I would definitely try and use your basement. Also, like pp suggested, have the extra toys set up so that parents can actually see the amount of toys that will be rotated.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 07:44 AM 07-29-2015
You have an awesome house- my house is old! I don't "do centers" because I have limited space in my playroom. I only use one room as a playroom, kitchen breakfast nook area and bathroom for childcare.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5575468&type=3

I rotate toys and be sure I tell parents that. If there is a bathroom in the basement and it has 2 ways out, I would use that basement area. I would probably move the tv out of that area.

If you don't have daycare kids I would set it up to look like play if you are using the living room. There again if you are using the living room- I would be tempted to remove the tv. I would be sure I had a "paperwork" area set up. So like a sign in/ out sheet etc. I would post a daily schedule. You need to have a vision of how the days are going to go.

One of the reasons you may not be getting "bites" is that you don't have children so they don't know what they are getting themselves into. You need to be able to convey your vision. I went into this 18 years ago and my vision was a "family" setting but quickly realized this is a business. Now I am glad I have a defined childcare space and a defined family space.

If I did want the kids throughout the house and wanted to define myself as a family setting this is what I would do to sell that. So, in the kitchen I would have out laminated kid directions for cooking something along with appropriate child type dishes. I would have some type of shelving with art supplies on it in the table area. I would have some dress up clothes available perhaps in the hallway to get dressed into. I would have a little laundry basket with socks in it for sorting on the couch. I would dive fully into a "home" setting. Bubbles on the porch and sidewalk chalk. I would have theme bins that I could grab. So, I would have a bin in the living room that was a theme and explain to the parents that you rotate out bins so that the kids get to discover different things. Have books and activities in there. So a farm set, books, maybe a container with seeds etc and explain what crafts you have set up to go with that concept in the dinning room, then I would take them to the back yard where you have extended that theme. A place to dig etc. You could easily do this with very little money. But you need to sell your concept.

You can check out my page at www.facebook.com/MrsSteinelsHouse I am still evolving and changing... this fall my concept is babies, babies, babies (3 under 2 so I am shifting again.

Oh and it took my 3 months to get my first kidlet when I reopened... I had taken a year off after 11 years of care... I decided I really do love it and that I would once again do care. But, it took a while to rebuild my business and I have had a slow summer with 3 kids in care. But fall I am full with a waiting list again

Hope this helps some.

Oh and I always have a couple of wax warmers with a yummy food smell in them when I have people over.... I have 2 dogs- stinky diapers and a teen age boy to cover! People always say how good my house smells!
NoMoreJuice! 08:05 AM 07-29-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I get what you're saying, because I used to have a shared space, too.

For daycare interviews, I'd "do it up" a little.

Also, if you have a lot of toys to rotate, is there a closet in the front room or nearby that you can organize and use to display the toys? Then, you could open it and show them the overstock.

I think I might also be tempted to bake some fresh cookies or bread right before the interview. Aromatherapy!

Definitely cookies! This is an old realtor trick when showing houses. Chocolate chip cookies = comforting smells of childhood and home.
Heidi 08:06 AM 07-29-2015
Ok...it took me a minute to figure out which is which, but I would also use the downstairs.

Dehumidify if necessary, light some vanilla cookie candles (out of reach) right before the interview, and make that space a real kid friendly space.

-You can find photos of children playing on the internet and print them, then put them in frames.

-Take that TV out (maybe in your bedroom?).

-A small table and chairs for meals. If the area is carpeted, you can put a linoleum remnant under the table.

-Create little "centers". It doesn't have to be too elaborate, but define the spaces a little. Reading nook, block area, dramatic play, a shelf by the table with puzzles, small blocks, and art supplies (in sight but not necessarily in reach).

I can tell you, I've done this both ways; with mixed space and with separate space. It is SO nice to have a living room that is your space. You won't always feel like you're at work.

If you like, I can PM you some pictures of my new area. I don't have a real kitchen downstairs (I assume you dont). Just a microwave, fridge (one of those small dorm fridges would work), and a hot plate. In the winter, I'll bring my smaller crock-pot down and we will have a lot of crock-pot lunches.
Heidi 08:18 AM 07-29-2015
So, I looked again for ideas. I can't see the space while I'm typing, so sorry that there's multiple answers.

I would move all your DVD's and such out of sight, maybe upstairs if possible. Then, get some baskets like these :

http://www.amazon.com/Cascading-Bask...ts%2C+Set+of+6

or bins (clear plastic labeled).

Put them in those shelves on either side of the fireplace, and put your "overstock" there. You can also put books in one, stuffed animals. Anything that's kid friendly looking.
Nisaryn 08:29 AM 07-29-2015
Don't feel bad or put off. In your advertisement did you make sure to put something like "offering a home away from home" type feel? Something like that? That is how I got my clients, they all wanted the home feel and weren't interested in things like 'centers' or anything like that so I don't have any. They came to me specifically because I didn't offer anything overly structured but then, all my DCKs are infants and under 2. We sing and dance, play outside, have a water and sand table. I even have a table with a floor mat to go under it for "food play" where I will take different colored dyed applesauce for the littles to play with. It gets messy but its lots of fun! Like you I can't do much with my house...its a military home so I'm not allowed to decorate too much and I have to do my best to keep the noise down and we have to practice base emergency drills monthly, especially with the ISIS. When I did parent interviews I had them come in with my place set-up as it would be for when kids are here so I had most of the toys out, the tables set up and I had music playing lightly in the background. I think this helped a lot.
childcaremom 08:41 AM 07-29-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
You have an awesome house- my house is old! I don't "do centers" because I have limited space in my playroom. I only use one room as a playroom, kitchen breakfast nook area and bathroom for childcare.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5575468&type=3

I rotate toys and be sure I tell parents that. If there is a bathroom in the basement and it has 2 ways out, I would use that basement area. I would probably move the tv out of that area.

If you don't have daycare kids I would set it up to look like play if you are using the living room. There again if you are using the living room- I would be tempted to remove the tv. I would be sure I had a "paperwork" area set up. So like a sign in/ out sheet etc. I would post a daily schedule. You need to have a vision of how the days are going to go.

One of the reasons you may not be getting "bites" is that you don't have children so they don't know what they are getting themselves into. You need to be able to convey your vision. I went into this 18 years ago and my vision was a "family" setting but quickly realized this is a business. Now I am glad I have a defined childcare space and a defined family space.

If I did want the kids throughout the house and wanted to define myself as a family setting this is what I would do to sell that. So, in the kitchen I would have out laminated kid directions for cooking something along with appropriate child type dishes. I would have some type of shelving with art supplies on it in the table area. I would have some dress up clothes available perhaps in the hallway to get dressed into. I would have a little laundry basket with socks in it for sorting on the couch. I would dive fully into a "home" setting. Bubbles on the porch and sidewalk chalk. I would have theme bins that I could grab. So, I would have a bin in the living room that was a theme and explain to the parents that you rotate out bins so that the kids get to discover different things. Have books and activities in there. So a farm set, books, maybe a container with seeds etc and explain what crafts you have set up to go with that concept in the dinning room, then I would take them to the back yard where you have extended that theme. A place to dig etc. You could easily do this with very little money. But you need to sell your concept.

You can check out my page at www.facebook.com/MrsSteinelsHouse I am still evolving and changing... this fall my concept is babies, babies, babies (3 under 2 so I am shifting again.

Oh and it took my 3 months to get my first kidlet when I reopened... I had taken a year off after 11 years of care... I decided I really do love it and that I would once again do care. But, it took a while to rebuild my business and I have had a slow summer with 3 kids in care. But fall I am full with a waiting list again

Hope this helps some.

Oh and I always have a couple of wax warmers with a yummy food smell in them when I have people over.... I have 2 dogs- stinky diapers and a teen age boy to cover! People always say how good my house smells!

All great ideas. When I reopened after my move it was hard going to get one to sign. That first family always feels the most difficult. Once you get one to sign, though, everything seems to fall into place.

I would reiterate to really think through your day and what your set up will be like. Then set up as if you are currently operating. Parents need a visual to imagine their child there.

I like to invite parents into the space, invite them to look around, as I go through a brief overview of our day. I touch on activities, projects, outdoor time, snacks, etc. We do a tour of the whole house and outdoor area. So I can say, we start our day off in this room for free play, then have circle time here, then we go upstairs where I can show them our snack area and then outside to see where the children play outside. Etc etc.

I have a dedicated space (not really centres but it's strictly daycare) and I really think that helps 'sell' it. It gives the impression that you are committed to the daycare. I use the whole house but I have the one area as strictly daycare. And I will second that at the end of the day, being able to walk away from that area is a blessing

Good luck with your interviews! Everyone is looking for something specific and you will find the families that want what you are offering. I always tell my interviewees that they will know when they find the right place b/c they won't even second guess it. It will just feel comfortable for them. You will get there. Just think of these as practice.
Snowmom 09:56 AM 07-29-2015
From the way you were talking, I was expecting the downstairs space to look horrid. I think it looks homey and nice.
But, neither space looks like a daycare space to me.
All I focus on is the big TV's.
If it were me, I'd set up the basement as my prime space. Apply for some grant money if it's available in your state. Go to USDA and get some free materials sent to you. They have some cute posters in their 'my plate' shipments.
Go to the dollar store and get some alphabet borders, etc.
One thing I do is keep my kids projects (daycare and my own) and put them in a three ring binder to show our projects as a group during an interview.
Inform them that you also use your upstairs space (if you will and for what purpose).
One thing I can recommend for smells is essential oils. I diffuse air purifying oils in my home- I also disclose that I do, if that's important to you. My home always smells lemon clean.
Good luck!
Annalee 11:08 AM 07-29-2015
In my state, the shift has been so overwhelming toward academics that even as a home child care, clients still want that added assurance their child will learn and that seems to be VISUAL. They feel they have to see it in order for it to happen. Not saying I agree, but it is what it is. Like other posters, I think designating a space and making it look more preschool oriented would be nice. I have had daycare in my living room and now have a large room with kitchen and bathroom for my daycare, and there will always be those that want to enroll and those that don't no matter if daycare is in the middle of your home or not.....to each their own I say Good luck to you!
Thriftylady 11:14 AM 07-29-2015
I am having issues also, but in my small town part of my issue is even getting calls. After that having people who want to pay for childcare is the number 2 issue. I have a small home also, I have made one of our bedrooms into a play room, so parents can see the shelves with all the bins of toys and such. Would that be something you can do? Or could you move your living space into the basement and move your daycare space upstairs?
e.j. 12:14 PM 07-29-2015
Both rooms look great but I agree with the others who suggested you set up a day care area in the basement. Based on feedback from parents who have interviewed and signed on with me, I would say that having a dedicated space for day care can make all the difference between getting families or not. It seems to be a real selling point in my area, anyway. It wouldn't cost too much to put some colorful decorations on the walls - posters with the alphabet, numbers, shapes, colors, etc might help. A small, inexpensive table the kids could sit at and do puzzles, art work, etc would be good, too. Anything that looks as though you're serious about doing child care vs. babysitting seems to get noticed and can be what makes parents choose you over someone else.
Baby Beluga 12:59 PM 07-29-2015
Do you have a website or Facebook page? Another idea is to take photos of your space as it would be used when children are present, post those on your website or FB page where parents can view them. Do you have young children of your own or have friends/family that do? Taking pictures of the children (no faces) doing activities and posting them may help parents to visualize their child's day with you as well.
mommiebookworm 02:17 PM 07-29-2015
I agree with using the basement. For wall decor, you can find cute printables on Pinterest and put them in a dollar tree frame. I would get rid of the tv. Have you tried Damp Rid? I use it in my basement and took care of the musty smell. It's not too expensive either. Maybe put in something with brighter colors.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 03:29 PM 07-29-2015
oh and Dollar Tree has wall stuff! But don't overdo it either There is a fine line in there.
Laurel 04:49 PM 07-29-2015
I think either space would work. They both are very attractive rooms. I wouldn't worry about having a t.v. in the room at all. My parents didn't care about that. After all, it was my home. I told them I didn't have the t.v. on very much when the children were there but we did watch it sometimes. (horrors!)

I don't necessarily agree with most everyone else. I didn't want my home to look like a preschool. I am retired but did it for 20 years. I didn't do centers at all but we did a lot of educational activities. I didn't have the alphabet up or anything like that. I did use the family room exclusively for daycare though and it isn't as big as your rooms. I did have parents say that they liked that. Then we had a living room for our own family.

In the 'play room' as I called it I had one recliner adult chair but it was wide. It held me and one child. That's it. A sofa did not work. No matter how much I tried it always got climbed on so I took it out. One child at a time could sit with me or two children on the recliner (leather which was childproof). I had one of those molded plastic type climber/kiddie slides in the room also. Then other things like a play kitchen and I rotated larger things like that in and out. They mostly sat on the floor. (carpeted)

I explained to parents on the tour that we mostly played in the playroom but we moved to the dining room for group activities like arts and crafts and to give us a change of scenery sometimes. We also ate in the dining room.

They could see the outdoor play area from the playroom. It was my fenced in side yard that was accessible by a sliding glass door in the playroom.

Even though you have a lot of toys to rotate, is it possible you don't have enough out while you are doing an interview? Maybe put more out so they see you have a nice assortment.

What I did during interviews is show a stack of about 20 pictures of my dc kids doing things. This was really a big hit. I realize you don't have any yet but maybe you could photograph your children doing things the daycare children might do or even some pics of various things like arts and crafts you plan on doing. You could use a binder with page protectors giving ideas on what you plan on doing with the children. For example, I had pics of the kids cooking, doing watercolors, counting, outside at the water table, reading on my lap, doing musical instruments, cutting with scissors, playing with playdough, playing with magnetic letters, etc.

I also gave them a general rundown of what a typical day might be like.

There are clients who really want a 'school' atmosphere but there are also a lot who don't.

Laurel
nothingwithoutjoy 04:53 PM 07-29-2015
I have a different opinion than many of the posts. I hear you saying you want it to be a home, not a center-in-a-home, and that you're showing the living room, because that is where you'd like to be. I think you will be happier being where you want to be. I, too, use my living space, and keep it homey. One of the things I like best about family child care is being home (and for the kids to have that, too). I like to sit on my couch and have access to my kitchen and have the kids be a part of home life. I wouldn't want to be shut up in a basement room all day.

This is what I would do to attract the clients who will appreciate your goals:

I agree with previous posters who suggest baking when visitors arrive. Makes a huge difference and definitely says "home."

When I look at your room, it seems to be set up for tv watching. I'd remove the tv, but probably that would not fit with your family's priorities (I'm guessing based on your photos). If you don't want to remove it, I'd suggest finding a way to camouflage it during the day. Both to send a different message to visitors, and to avoid the kids asking for tv all day long. I bet there'd be some cheap ideas on pinterest for hiding your tv. (Ooh--I just had to take a look after saying that. There are tons here. And this one gave me an idea: maybe you could cover it with something that goes behind your couch in the evenings that you would want to use with the kids: a flannel board (for you to use for circle times, not for them to use), a giant canvas they had painted (paint over a cheap thrift-store piece of art)...I don't know. There must be a good idea out there somewhere! I would also turn the rocker to face the couches so the room doesn't call out "we watch tv here!" but instead suggests conversation.

I would not add anything "school-y" to your space. But I would make a few changes to make it say "children welcomed here." Perhaps some cheerful pillows on the couch (super-cheap and adorable options at IKEA. Or have you seen ones where a parent embroiders their kids' drawing onto a simple white pillow cover?) Maybe some pillows along the floor by the bricks, to soften that space and make it a bit safer looking. (They don't have to live there on the weekends.) I'd arrange the toys on the shelves in the most aesthetically-pleasing, inviting way (I prefer gorgeous toys placed in the open with space around them to ugly toys hidden away in bins. I'd go through your toys in the basement and bring up all the most gorgeous options to start with.) I'd use your coffee table as a place to set up an inviting invitation to play. (Each morning, I have some play invitation on my coffee table: right now it's cuisenaire rods displayed in a sectioned tray. Even grown-ups play when they sit in my house, it's so tempting.) I'd display some kid art in frames or great photos of kids at play on your walls (your own kids). If it's possible to find a place for your kid bookshelf nearer to your couch, I'd do that (that's a "book-reading center," but in a home version). I agree about creating "centers" to a degree--not just like they'd be done in schools, but in ways that make sense incorporated into your home. For example, my play kitchen is in my kitchen, so kids "cook" where I do. Will kids do art in your kitchen? I'd have it arranged so it's clear that'll happen, and include that in your tour (even if it's not in the open; you could have a kitchen cabinet filled with art supplies and show that as you tour).

And even though it's hard when you aren't finding kids as fast as you'd like, stay confident in your beliefs and choices. That will attract the families who are likely to share them.

Good luck!
MommyMuffin 07:24 PM 07-29-2015
Thanks for the input everyone. I worked really hard today to make the space downstairs better. I still have some things to do but other than that I don't think I'm going to do much else. I tried to move the big brown chair but couldn't get it through the stairways. I'm not sure how I got it down there!!

I was thinking I am going to show parents both upstairs and downstairs. And then I will see how the days flow and decide where I want to spend my time.

I only want 2 - 3 dcks, infants and toddlers. So if parents aren't liking what I've offered...now I've created both enviroments! hahah

I like my upstairs the way it is. There are low shelves with toys and books for my kids and dcks. Yet I can have people over without having kid posters on the wall ect.

Of course I want to make a little money but a lot of the reason is because I love kids and I only have 1 staying home with me in the fall.

Just for the record...my kids watch cartoons off netflx in the morning and sometimes a movie at bedtime. We don't even have cable.
Attached: rsz_1img_5372.jpg (61.0 KB) rsz_img_5371.jpg (55.6 KB) rsz_img_5373.jpg (48.3 KB) rsz_img_5374.jpg (45.9 KB) rsz_img_5375.jpg (56.4 KB) 
MrsSteinel'sHouse 03:26 AM 07-30-2015
It looks good and I like the big chair. I have a big chair in my playroom- Mrs Steinel's chair I can cuddle a baby or read a book.

Good luck getting your first kidlet- that always seems the hardest!
Josiegirl 03:29 AM 07-30-2015
You've already made some nice improvements!! Having a daycare in your home is an ever-changing environment; we're always discovering things that work or don't work.
Are the interviewees saying anything in particular, giving you a platform to grab ideas from?
MrsSteinel'sHouse 03:59 AM 07-30-2015
if you are only looking for 2 or 3 infants/ toddlers I would so play up small group size!
Nurse looking to care for infants and toddlers in a home setting with a small group size. Make up flyers for the library, doctor's offices (Obgyn/ pediatricians) If you can take state the WIC office.

Some "key phrases"- developmental appropriate activities, age appropriate toys, when describing food (esp infant) that I provide as much organic and local food as possible. I find that parents really do want the lingo even if that may not mean what they think it means.
MommyMuffin 04:46 AM 07-30-2015
MrsSteinel'sHouse awesome ideas!! Thanks!!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:07 AM 07-30-2015
This is from an email to a mom trying to make a decision on care-

I can say what I have to offer-
small group size. Maximum of 6 but 3 days only 4 are here. Only one other child still in diapers. Babies get held and loved on. They do not have to cry and cry before I can get to them.

Babies have their own equipment (high chair, crib, pack and play etc) and toys. I keep baby toys separate for them. They are sanitized and put back for that baby. I also train the older kids the proper way to "love baby" we only kiss the top of the head.

food- I provide organic cereal and baby food. Once they are on table food I buy fresh and local whenever possible. I buy organic when it is possible (cereal, flour, spaghetti sauce etc)

We do not watch tv. We are too busy playing.
Play is the most important thing that we can do during the day. The kids are provided many different opportunities to explore. I try to find opportunities to incorporate skills and concepts into hands on play.

Literature is very important in our world. We read daily and to infants toddlers that tends to be the same book many times in one day! Right now I have one stuck on Llama Llama books and I read them multiple times in a day. Kids that hear more words do better in school. Kids in my care tend to have awesome vocabularies.

Art- That was my major and I have a love for doing art with kids. Generally by a year they are painting and playing in playdoh.

Outside- I am big on outside daily. I know this time of the year that is a little harder but we do tend to make it out even if it is on the patio for a bit. My kids know how to splash in puddle, the joy of playing in the rain, the love of snow!, how to dig in the dirt and play with worms. We grow a garden every year and the kids love eating peas, peppers and cherry tomatoes straight out of the garden- as well as strawberries and blueberries. We go for walks in the neighborhood. The kids love picking up newspapers for my elderly neighbors and running them up to their doors. In the spring there are days that we move out onto the patio and spend most of the day out there.

Schedule- There are certain things in our schedule that must be kept on time but my kids get to play until they are done. We have longer time to explore. We do not have to do what I have planned for the day but where the day leads us with the children's interests- and boy do they have ideas! Nap time is every day from 12 -3. Now babies totally dictate their schedule. Generally though it does fall into a pattern of morning nap and afternoon nap with play and eating in between.

Some other things- I use washclothes to wash faces and hands. When the kids are using the bathroom they dry hands on washclothes that are then placed to be washed. I can't imagine cleaning kids with papertowels! I use sleepsacks for infants- no blankets for naps until after a year. I keep an emergency bag in case we would have to evacuate. I am planned and prepared if there was an emergency and I would end up with children here at the house past pick up. I have over 3 days of food and water for everyone that would be here.

Training- I had over 40 hours of training last year. I am a professional child care provider. This is the main reason I keep my licensing. Myself, my husband, and my daughter all have CPR, first aid and the mandatory 6 hours for all providers. All adults in my household are fingerprinted and background checked.

lastly- I have a home environment. If a kid is tired they get snuggled. We eat home cooked meals, sing songs, and play in a home. They become part of my life and are loved on when they are here.

Anyway, let me know if you want to come up and see what I have to offer. I know it is a BIG decision where you want your baby to be raised. I had to make that decision with my daughter.

Mary Beth aka Mrs. Steinel's House

I don't have a flyer on this computer- but when I do "flyers" I do tri fold brochures. I think they look more professional, especially in offices.
DaveA 05:12 AM 07-30-2015
Really like the redone basement space. Couple of quick things:

In the pics you have a light out. Is it the bulb or the fixture? Not a big deal but it would add more light and make the space more inviting.

Also you mentioned a musty smell- is the basement totally finished or does it have an unfinished part? Is the unfinished part open to the finished part? Does the smell come from one area? Getting a dehumidifier and opening a window regularly or running a vent fan will help greatly. If it's persistent you may have do stuff like clean carpets/ seal floors/ paint walls.

Good Luck- the first kids are always the hardest to get, but you'll get there.
BabyMonkeys 08:08 AM 07-30-2015
The changes you have made so far are great I would bring out a few more toys for the interviews though, just so the parents can see a sample of what you have.

I understand the comment on "where you want your baby to be raised", I completely agree, some parents may be offended by it though.

I 2nd the damp rid comment too. I love that stuff!
MommyMuffin 03:53 AM 08-22-2015
So I did start showing the basement and I could tell parents loved it. I filled the spots I wanted to.

But I don't use the downstairs! In the morning we play with toys upstairs, eat breakfast and then do circle time at the kitchen table. Then we go for a walk outside, come back and do another project or I take out a bin of dolls or other bin of toys that I pull out sometimes, then we eat lunch, read stories and nap, snack, free play.

I don't want to be downstairs. I could tell it really helped sell parents on my daycare though.

Now that I have clients, what do I do? Just leave it like it is downstairs? I would like to keep big toys down there and perhaps once a day go down and play for a little bit, but not much.

I want to put my adult furniture back in it and make it more like my home. But if that was what my clients wanted.....ugh I'm torn.

It's frustrating, I feel like the parents don't understand that looking like a center doesn't mean better.
Heidi 06:54 AM 08-22-2015
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
So I did start showing the basement and I could tell parents loved it. I filled the spots I wanted to.

But I don't use the downstairs! In the morning we play with toys upstairs, eat breakfast and then do circle time at the kitchen table. Then we go for a walk outside, come back and do another project or I take out a bin of dolls or other bin of toys that I pull out sometimes, then we eat lunch, read stories and nap, snack, free play.

I don't want to be downstairs. I could tell it really helped sell parents on my daycare though.

Now that I have clients, what do I do? Just leave it like it is downstairs? I would like to keep big toys down there and perhaps once a day go down and play for a little bit, but not much.

I want to put my adult furniture back in it and make it more like my home. But if that was what my clients wanted.....ugh I'm torn.

It's frustrating, I feel like the parents don't understand that looking like a center doesn't mean better.
Can you bring the downstairs stuff up, and make the downstairs your space, upstairs daycare?
Play Care 06:23 AM 08-23-2015
Congrats on getting clients!

Give it a little time for families to settle in and then start gradually making the changes you want.
Unregistered 01:19 PM 08-24-2015
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
The areas are messy because my parents watched kids last night and let them go amuck...but with clean up...which area should I use?
The first one is my basement...just my own kids play area right now. The second picture is my upstairs where I have been interviewing because I wanted a more home based daycare.
I do not have dck otherwise this would have been cleaned up this morning...so please don't hate on the mess
Are your children young? You could take some pics of them while playing?
Tags:daycare decor, decor, filling spots, interview - ideas, remodel
Reply Up