Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Different Contracts
MommyMuffin 03:56 AM 08-13-2015
I had a contract/policy book I gave a family a few weeks ago who want to sign up now. In the meantime I had a different family sign up to hold a spot. She wanted me to change my time off in my contact...she thought it was excessive. I wasn't too bothered by it so I changed it for her.
Should I give the other parents the new policy book that I had to make for this other parent.
I don't want to be unfair but it would be nice to have fewer kids on the days I wanted as holidays that the second family thought was excessive...
Rockgirl 04:20 AM 08-13-2015
I wouldn't have changed it. They either sign up, agreeing to my policies as they are written, or don't sign up.
Play Care 04:23 AM 08-13-2015
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I had a contract/policy book I gave a family a few weeks ago who want to sign up now. In the meantime I had a different family sign up to hold a spot. She wanted me to change my time off in my contact...she thought it was excessive. I wasn't too bothered by it so I changed it for her.
Should I give the other parents the new policy book that I had to make for this other parent.
I don't want to be unfair but it would be nice to have fewer kids on the days I wanted as holidays that the second family thought was excessive...
YIKES!!!!
I would not change the time off for any other family. They signed on "as is."
And honestly, the one time I had a potential client want me to change my contract I didn't sign her on. I'd be willing to bet this won't be the last time she demands you change something to suit her.
MissAnn 04:24 AM 08-13-2015
How much time off did you have on your first contract? You deserve and need time off! I'm just baffled you let this family cause you to change your contract. I think we sell ourselves short sometimes. I'm sure they have holiday, personal and vacation days off......why shouldn't you? I'm sure you work longer hours than they do too. You need ample days off to rejuvinate. Who needs a burned out caregiver?
DaveA 04:31 AM 08-13-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
YIKES!!!!
I would not change the time off for any other family. They signed on "as is."
And honestly, the one time I had a potential client want me to change my contract I didn't sign her on. I'd be willing to bet this won't be the last time she demands you change something to suit her.
This is what I was thinking- get ready for a stream of "issues" she'll have. And if the other parents hear she got her way, be prepared for them to have some also. Personally my policies are "take it or leave it" with my DCPs. I'll be respectful and listen, but it's my business so I get to decide how I run it.
MommyMuffin 05:24 AM 08-13-2015
I had it as 5 sick/personal days paid
12 paid holiday (federal)
I can take 1 week paid vacation and 1 - 2 weeks (not consecutive) vacation unpaid.

I took this from another provider I know. I know the vacation is more than usual but I would like to take a Friday off here and there to go on a weekend get away with hubby.

I changed it for the 1 parent to
no sick/personal paid days
10 paid holidays
and 1 week vacation paid
1 week unpaid
and they can take vacation 1 week and not pay...

Not too bad but I don't want to burn out like last time
Laurel 05:26 AM 08-13-2015
I'm just curious how many days you took off and were they with or without pay?

Plus, you want you can always change your mind if you want to. "I'm sorry, after thinking more about it I decided I'd be cheating myself so am going back to my original contract. Let me know if that will work for you."

That said, if you want to do it I'd do it for everyone. Someone is bound to be resentful if they see so and so getting care when they have to find a back up especially if they are paying you for the day you are off.

Laurel

P.S. I see you answered it. I guess we were posting at the same time.
permanentvacation 06:10 AM 08-13-2015
I would not change my contract for everyone just because you made a special arrangement with the one family. I wouldn't say anything about it to the other parents. I make special arrangements on occasion with families. But I don't announce those arrangements to everyone. For example, I expected to close my daycare by 6:30, but one parent asked me to watch their child until 7. I agreed to do so for a little extra fee. But I didn't tell all of my other parents that I'd watch their children until 7. I also have it in my contract that children must arrive by 8:30 am so I don't have kids arriving at all hours of the day and I can get the day rolling with no interruptions. But the child that is here until 7, I allow him to arrive at 9:45. But I didn't tell everyone else that they can roll in as they please up until 9:45. I only allow that one boy to come in late since his mother's work hours are later than typical. By it only being one child that arrives late at a planned time, I can pre-plan for it and it doesn't interrupt our activities.

However, I would NOT make special arrangements on a typical basis. For the most part, I tell parents how I run my daycare and if they like it and can adhere to my ways, they can hire me. If they want to make a little change here and there, I typically tell them they probably need a nanny who will adhere to their schedule and specific wishes for their child.
rosieteddy 06:20 AM 08-13-2015
I to think you should rethink your changes.The parent had no right to ask you to change your contract.As she hasn't started yet I would go back to the original.Other parents will feel slighted when they find out you have differant rules. I had 3 weeks paid vacation.allthe holidays paid including the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas,5 personal days and up to 5 sick days(these were never used)Parents paid and usually chose from those weeks for their vacations.Additional time was paid.
littletots 06:39 AM 08-13-2015
I recently lost a family due to this exact reason. One family negotiate contract. I, like you, was okay with change. I was changing only for 1 family. When other families noticed it caused "fairness " issues. I am required to have families sign in/out. So other families are able to see times. I would either 1) tell family you mis-spoke, apologize and go back to original contract. Or 2) change for all.

The family I lost had been w me over a yr. Dcm was using words like discrimination, fair, equal treatment. Smh. I'm a licensed accredited fcc and I don't like those words. Certainly got my attention.
midaycare 07:10 AM 08-13-2015
Eeks! If you want the new family, then hand out the new contract for everyone. But I would not change the contract for a family. With that said, you did it, so ... Water under the bridge, time to move forward and hold your ground with them from this point on.

Also, wow! Holy vacation time! I'm jealous! I don't think I would get my clients with that much vacation. They would go to the centers here instead. But if you can swing it, good for you!
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:42 AM 08-13-2015
I have found that sometimes the dcf will chat with one another out in the driveway at drop-off and pick-up, get together for "playdates" on occasion, or even just run into each other around town. I would feel nervous if I was charging different rates, or allowing leniency on some policy (usually payment due date or late pick-up/early drop-off) for one dcf but not another, and the dcf getting the short end of the stick would be PO'd! Now I just do everything the same no matter what, and now I feel that when they discuss me or my services, it's only to sing my praises!

Besides, what would happen if one of the more valuable (agreeing to your policies right off the bat) dcfs drove by your house on a "closed-paid holiday" day and saw other dcks there? I'd hate to have to explain that.

Also, I totally get needing to fill a spot, and fast, hence the contract negotiations! Maybe you could whittle down to what the new client wants, but ALSO put "but not limited to" in your contract wording. That way, if you do want to take a day here or there, it's kosher!
Unregistered 08:04 AM 08-13-2015
Originally Posted by littletots:
I recently lost a family due to this exact reason. One family negotiate contract. I, like you, was okay with change. I was changing only for 1 family. When other families noticed it caused "fairness " issues. I would either 1) tell family you mis-spoke, apologize and go back to original contract. Or 2) change for all.

Dcm was using words like discrimination, fair, equal treatment. Smh. I'm a licensed accredited fcc and I don't like those words.
I just went to my food program annual training and went over the non discrimination statement. Have a similar non discrimination statement required by licensing in my parent handbook. My food program representative said one thing about this that stuck in my head: do for all or do for none.

I personally would tell the dcm that you thought more about it and have decided you cannot change your closures. They either figure out an alternate on those days or they find another provider. I am closed on Fridays, a few major holidays, 2 weeks of winter break, and 1 week in spring or summer. I have been asked by interested families if I can open Fridays and I said no sorry, however there are other providers that are. Some families decide they could make it work, and others went some where else. I started Friday closures a few years ago because I was getting burnt out and has helped me keep my sanity and I'm not about to give that up.
Play Care 08:57 AM 08-13-2015
I understand the "do it for all or for none" but honestly, that doesn't always work. And I resent outsiders (epspecially if it's not a regulation) telling us what we should and shouldn't do because of their own personal beliefs. I mean, I had a county employee tell me I charged too much for FT care. Should I have lowered my rates because she said so?

If questioned "their contract is different as they started at x time. I grandfather my clients in the contract they signed when they started. there will always be some differences between payment, avalible care dates, etc."

In my case new families always pay more than old clients, so I might point out that as well. Then I'd suggest that "I'll put you on the same contract but your rates would go up to x a week." I'm pretty sure I know what they'd chose.
midaycare 09:20 AM 08-13-2015
I understand the "do it for all or for none" but honestly, that doesn't always work. And I resent outsiders (epspecially if it's not a regulation) telling us what we should and shouldn't do because of their own personal beliefs. I mean, I had a county employee tell me I charged too much for FT care. Should I have lowered my rates because she said so?

If questioned "their contract is different as they started at x time. I grandfather my clients in the contract they signed when they started. there will always be some differences between payment, avalible care dates, etc."

In my case new families always pay more than old clients, so I might point out that as well. Then I'd suggest that "I'll put you on the same contract but your rates would go up to x a week." I'm pretty sure I know what they'd chose.
I have the same issue re: prices. Almost everyone I have pays a different rate. When I opened I was low, and raised it as each slot filled. Now I am on the mid to high end.

Okay, wait! How does a county worker tell you that you are too expensive in your own business?
Unregistered 09:29 AM 08-13-2015

I totally understand where you are coming from. And what you are doing works for you and your program which is great.

I didn't take what my fp rep was saying as telling us what to do. It was more what we can do to minimize being accused of discrimination. Also in my state, any time I make a change to my hours, fees, closures, policies/program which are all in my parent handbook, I must inform families and licensing 30 days prior to the change going into effect. To keep things simple, I just make everything the same for everyone. A former parent did try to use the "unfair" card for his child because I didn't like his child, but nope told him look at my policies and your contract it's the same as everyone else's. Thank goodness this family is gone.

On a side note: I worked at a center and two teachers were accused of discriminating a child in their classroom due to race. After talks with the family (the family said things like we spoke to a family friend who is a lawyer about this, etc at the meeting) and an investigation the accusation was unfounded beacuse all the children in the classroom were given the same treatment based on our policies that was for all the children in the center. The parent was angry and lashing out because the child was hurting other children for no apparent reason (would just walk up to different children and pinch/bite/hit the children and walk away, etc) and was getting calls and conferences to talk about the situation, and for pick up if child continued to hurt others intentionally. The parent thought the child was an angel and the other children must be doing something to the child to cause him to retaliate, and the teachers must be out to get the child because the child was of a different race from the teachers. The family ended up terming, would have termed them if they didn't leave on their own.
Play Care 09:59 AM 08-13-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have the same issue re: prices. Almost everyone I have pays a different rate. When I opened I was low, and raised it as each slot filled. Now I am on the mid to high end.

Okay, wait! How does a county worker tell you that you are too expensive in your own business?
When I first started out I had a client go on county payment. There was some error and I had to call to ask. Somehow it came up that the county only paid x amount toward my fee, not the whole fee. That's when she said "well, you're charging a lot!"

Keep in mind that in my county the employees work 9-4, have paid bennies, pensions, paid vacations and every federal and state holiday off with pay. In fact it had taken me almost a month to get someone on the phone because no one was ever there. But *I* charge too much
I'm not bitter
MommyMuffin 11:26 AM 08-13-2015
This is so frustrating to me. I know some of you this is your career and you excell at it and are very professional. I am not making childcare into a career...I loved being a school nurse and will go back to it when all my kids are in school.

I love young children and wanted to watch 2-3 infants/toddlers....to do so I must be licensed...ok fine...I get it. I know I am safe and qualified but I understand why I have to jump through the hoops.

But if I want to charge my friend a lower rate than a different family I signed up for...I don't want to have to worry about discrimination. If I took a day off and decided to watch my friends kid...then that is my own business. I'm not sure if that would fly in court but gee whiz!!

I appreciate all your answers. I am in no way saying this to any person on here so please no offense.

I just get frustrated sometimes. They told me I have to buy a new crib for my own 1 yr old daughter because it was manufactured in 2010....even if it is in a room the dck cannot access... That is a different vent....
littletots 11:35 AM 08-13-2015
Mommymuffin Same pack in play guidelines for my license plus children under 3 in line of sight at.all.times. Ok. I can go to bathroom 5 mins alone. Lol
Play Care 11:55 AM 08-13-2015
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
This is so frustrating to me. I know some of you this is your career and you excell at it and are very professional. I am not making childcare into a career...I loved being a school nurse and will go back to it when all my kids are in school.

I love young children and wanted to watch 2-3 infants/toddlers....to do so I must be licensed...ok fine...I get it. I know I am safe and qualified but I understand why I have to jump through the hoops.

But if I want to charge my friend a lower rate than a different family I signed up for...I don't want to have to worry about discrimination. If I took a day off and decided to watch my friends kid...then that is my own business. I'm not sure if that would fly in court but gee whiz!!

I appreciate all your answers. I am in no way saying this to any person on here so please no offense.

I just get frustrated sometimes. They told me I have to buy a new crib for my own 1 yr old daughter because it was manufactured in 2010....even if it is in a room the dck cannot access... That is a different vent....
Honestly, when I started out my licensing rules were lax about what I could do with my own kids. For instance my kids could nap in their own bedrooms, out of my sight. If the regs had been what they now are and I was looking to start out, I would chose something else.
By the time things started to change, my own kids were no longer in my day care (school aged) and I had already been running a well regarded/established child care for several years.
If I were a school nurse and presumably working school calendar schedule/hours/bennies, etc I would find the most awesome day care provider for my kids and keep my nursing job.
Not to offend, just my two cents.
MommyMuffin 12:05 PM 08-13-2015
Honestly, when I started out my licensing rules were lax about what I could do with my own kids. For instance my kids could nap in their own bedrooms, out of my sight. If the regs had been what they now are and I was looking to start out, I would chose something else.
By the time things started to change, my own kids were no longer in my day care (school aged) and I had already been running a well regarded/established child care for several years.
If I were a school nurse and presumably working school calendar schedule/hours/bennies, etc I would find the most awesome day care provider for my kids and keep my nursing job.
Not to offend, just my two cents.
Not offended at all. I don't make enough to pay for 3 kids in daycare and I have had too many bad providers.
Rachel 11:27 PM 08-17-2015
1. They will talk, this will come back to bite you.
2. If I was one of your other parents I would leave. Why should I pay for sick days and vacation and others not? Why should I pay you 2 extra holidays and have to pay backup care or take a day off work when you are watching another child?
3. I agree with the others that this parent will continue to push. You will be opened more hours with less pay.
4. Grandfathering is totally different. Paying different rates for the same care vs. getting more care. Also in grandfathering everyone stands to benefit. Just like the Smith family gets an old rate because they have been with you for 5 years, I also know my rate won't go up with time.
Reply Up