Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is Your Toilet Training Policy?
Unregistered 04:36 PM 08-24-2018
I'm adjusting to a new daycare job that has an interesting policy about using the toilet. Basically, don't even mention it until they start using the toilet at home.

This seems very foreign to me as I'm the kind of person who, half jokes with a crying newborn "Well, if you don't like me changing your diaper then you need to use the potty." If I'm with a two-year-old who is able to tell me "I'm pooping!" then, I think it's natural to explain that "poop goes on the potty" and offer the opportunity to try sitting on the toilet. No pressure. No forcing. Just simply reading stories and talking about the bathroom and giving the opportunity to get comfortable with the idea (plus they can practice things like pulling up and down their own pants, etc.) [My two year olds at another daycare LOVED dancing to "Potty Time" music.]

Apparently, the policy is that the child needs to be potty trained at home for three weeks before they start working on it in school. I can understand not being allowed to go to school in underwear until they've been dry for three weeks, but not even mentioning the toilet seems a little odd to me.

What's your policy about toilet training? Is it a "don't even mention the potty?" policy until they start at home- even if the kid is with you 50 hours a week?
Tags:potty training policy, toilet training, toilet training policy
Up