Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For All Of You Breastfeeding Moms
Francine 08:03 AM 10-27-2010
The daughter of one of my friends is nanning for a family, the parents are going away for a few days so the Mom isn't there to feed or pump but she did leave a large bag of breastmilk in the freezer. Not sure what a large bag means but it's not one of the little 5 oz bags, it sounds like the Mom has been putting it into a big bag and then just adding to it.

Anyway my friends daughter has to thaw this milk and is asking my friend how long it will stay good in the fridge. I have only dealt with the 5 oz bags, how long do you think this will stay good?
SandeeAR 08:06 AM 10-27-2010
Been 25 years since I BF, but one of my parents told me 24 hours. Maybe she should use an Ice Cream scoop to get out just the amount needed, rather than to thaw it all at once?
Lilbutterflie 08:15 AM 10-27-2010
Yup, 24 hours was my understanding, too. Good idea with the ice cream scoop!
daysofelijah 08:16 AM 10-27-2010
Weird that she would put it all in one big bag like that. I guess the ice cream scoop idea sounds like the best bet. If you thaw it all out it's supposed to be used up in 24 hours.
MommyMuffin 08:21 AM 10-27-2010
I was thinking that since the mom set up the milk that way why not ask her what she would like her to , if she has not gone out of town already. If she is already gone I would use ice cream scoop too!~
Unregistered 08:49 AM 10-27-2010
I have a breastfed baby in care and yes it can only stay in the fridge 24 hours after thawing the milk. Also the ice cream scoop is not gonna work as the milk frozen milk is frozen and frozen breastmilk is solid like ice.
DancingQueen 09:23 AM 10-27-2010
I'd ask the mom. That method of storing frozen breastmilk makes no sense. She should be storing it daily and marking the date on the bags.
Francine 09:39 AM 10-27-2010
Okay my friend and I were confused, she called her daughter and got clarification. It is only a 12 ounce bag and she was only wondering how long it would last for this baby, not how long it would keep in the fridge. Makes much more sense, I couldn't figure out what this lady was doing. Thanks for the replies.
Tags:breastfeeding, nursing
Reply Up