Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are Your Policies On Diaper Bags And Backpacks!
littlemisssunshine 08:02 PM 06-16-2012
Im pretty sure a dcf brought a roach into my house so I'm wondering if any of you had this happen before and what you did? How do you go about cubbies ?
cheerfuldom 08:15 PM 06-16-2012
Never had this happen before!

I know some of the providers do everything possible to make sure the kids come with no bags whatsoever to daycare.

I do one diaper bag or small backpack per child with the days supplies in it and never had a huge issue with that. As the kids get older, they need less and less. Once my oldest daycare kid is finished potty training, all she will bring each day is her little sack lunch. She leaves a bathing suit and change of clothes here.
Hunni Bee 09:39 PM 06-16-2012
Originally Posted by littlemisssunshine:
Im pretty sure a dcf brought a roach into my house so I'm wondering if any of you had this happen before and what you did? How do you go about cubbies ?
YES!

We outlawed all bags for the all-day kids (obviously we couldn't do this for the SA's). We said that bottles, baby food, diapers etc had to come in in a large clear Ziploc bag, labeled with the child's name. We just said that the bags were taking up too much space.
SunnyDay 05:23 AM 06-17-2012
I have hooks on the wall of my garage. I take out the diapers I need for the day and everything else gets hung out there.
SilverSabre25 06:24 AM 06-17-2012
NO. Don't bring me your diaper bag, I DO NOT NEED IT!! (well, I don't shout at them but that's how I feel!)

They bring me packs of diapers that stay here. I provide wipes. They bring me the day's bottles (filled) and the day's food in a little lunch box cooler thing, and that is that. Nothing else goes back and forth.

I do NOT want to take up the space with the diaper bags and some people keep a lot of stuff in there that doesn't need to be at daycare. Toys, cups, etc are provided here and don't need to be brought from home, and who knows what else might be in that diaper bag that we don't want the liability for.
Blackcat31 06:57 AM 06-17-2012
I don't allow diaper bags either. Every child has their own basket/cubbie to keep personal items and I also have diaper storage for their toileting needs.

No bags are allowed to come into daycare for all the reasons listed in previous posts.

I have seen some weird things in people's diaper bags so it is something I choose not to deal with.

Never had a parent complain or question my policy so it works for me.
countrymom 06:51 AM 06-18-2012
no bags here either. I've had diaper bags come in so dirty that I had to put them outside. And the smell, omg, they made everything stink. So I said no more stuff.
Meeko 07:33 AM 06-18-2012
Diaper bags are a liability. I have found weird things, gross things, dirty things, in diaper bags. All I need is a change of clothes in their cubby and they bring me a pack of diapers when we run low and they go straight on to the child's diaper shelf in the bathroom where they are always accessible to me.

It is not unheard of for drugs etc to be in diaper bags. I had a friend find a bag of weed in a diaper bag at her day care. I don't want the liability. It's a given that the parents first words would "THAT'S NOT MINE!" if something weird was found in the bag.
JenNJ 07:47 AM 06-18-2012
I outlawed them last year when a dcf plopped the bag down then told me how they had fleas. Ugh Plus, parents were leaving meds, food, and other things in the bags that didn't sit right with me.

Babies -- container of formula and 3 bottles stay here, diapers and wipes stay here, 2 outfits stay here, binkies stay here. If they breastfeed, they can bring a cooler bag with prefilled bottles.
WImom 09:05 AM 06-18-2012
Everyone here has a small backpack to keep their lovies in and I use it to send home notes, art work, etc.

It works great and everyone but my newest family follows this rule.
My newest family brings in a diaper bag stuffed with stuff even though she is potty trained and almost 3.5y old.

It does take up alot of space but I haven't figured out a nice way to say don't bring any bag or bring a small one (Since they weren't bringing a bag in the beginning and I asked for a small bag to be brought to put her lovey in. They brought this one but still throw the lovey on the bench under it since it doesn't fit.)
MarinaVanessa 09:23 AM 06-18-2012
I have cubbies here for my full and part time kids meant for their extra clothing and spare diapers/wipes. My drop-in kids have diaper bags but it isnt a big deal since we hang them on high hooks in the entrance.

I've never had a cockaroach brought into my home either . That's so nasty.
daycare 09:28 AM 06-18-2012
i do not allow bags of any kind or any items to be brought back and forth daily.

When i was in a health and safety class i heard really gross stories about the kids of things that people keep in their diaper bags. A lot of mother's use them like purses and forget what they leave in them. Some leave them with food partials and make a nice home for roaches and mice to live. Yes MICE

I have cubby boxes here. Every Friday parents have to clean them out and replace them with clothing or other necessary items.

I do not even allow for blankets to go back and forth. I think maybe the only thing that goes back and forth are their jackets if they wear one.
texascare 06:29 AM 06-19-2012
No bags. Everything the child needs is here. I have a separate sleeping room that I have some plastic bins that look like a dresser and each child has an extra change of clothes in there in a zip lock bag. Too many things can be forgotten in a diaper bag from parents from cigarettes to prescription meds so I no longer allow them.
3girls 10:41 AM 06-20-2012
I allow bags as well as toys from home. I run a small program though and really like/trust my current parents.

I do have a drawer for diapers and other stuff that I keep here all the time.
MsMe 12:34 PM 06-20-2012
I have each family bring a cloth bag that holds swims stuff/snow stuff to be left on each childs hook. I have a few that bring sports clothing for a quick change at the end of the day.

I never thought of them bringing in critters EWWW!
daycare 01:05 PM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by 3girls:
I allow bags as well as toys from home. I run a small program though and really like/trust my current parents.

I do have a drawer for diapers and other stuff that I keep here all the time.
just a word of advise, not too sure on your LIC rules, but we can not have any type of plastic bags that are within the child's reach. My friend who is also a provider just got cited for it. I was also using plastic bags in the kids cubby boxes to send home soiled clothing. So now I have them bring the cloth/reusable ones to take home dirty stuff in..
Crazy8 04:39 PM 06-20-2012
a lunch bag is all they need here. I keep a change of clothes and supply of diapers here for each child - all they come back and forth with is their food.
Mary Poppins 04:55 PM 06-20-2012

No diaper bags or backpacks or anything allowed here and for exactly the reasons previously posted. Not wanting any critters, ick or illegalities finding their way in.

I hope it was just the one roach!! I'd be writing up new rules re: diaper bags NOW.
Tags:policies, policy - backpacks, policy - diaper bags
Reply Up