Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Limit On Ours Of Care Per Day?
Unregistered 10:50 PM 05-06-2015
Do you all have a limit on the number of hours, per day, that you allow the child to be in care? (Example: I'm open 12hrs, but only allow 10hrs per day) Parents are asking why only 10 if you're open 12?
childcaremom 02:16 AM 05-07-2015
I do. I cap the daily hours at 10, although I prefer shorter.

Personally, I found most of my kids with behaviour problems were the kids who were here over 10 hours.

I just tell parents that's my policy. I don't offer reasons. If pressed, I would say that I feel that in my experience, it's too long a day for a child.
laundrymom 02:26 AM 05-07-2015
In my new round of contracts I limit it. And to answer the parents questions, I explain that :
No child should be in daycare, away from those they love the most, for more than 10 hours a day.
However if you need 12 hours per day the overtime charges are as follows:
For each additional hour or portion of hour I charge $10. So if you need care 12 per day there is an additional $20 per day fee. At 12 hours
and one minute there is an additional $20 fee.

(That 13th hour is my triple time)

It amazes me how easy it is for parents who just "needed" care so much, to change their way of thinking when it costs them. The reason I do this is because I was finding that the reason they wanted 12 (or 12 plus 20 minutes for drive time) is because two hours of overtime. Well, if they are getting overtime, so should I. When I just accepted it as part of the regular price they needed it 5 days a week but now, they find a grandma or aunt to pick up. Or pay me.... Very well.
Blackcat31 05:32 AM 05-07-2015
No I do not limit the number of hours a parent can use.

I am a business that sells a service. I am not in the business of dictating how much or in what manner a parent can purchase and use those services.

As long as a parent can be reached I don't even care if they are at work or school....they can be at home watching TV all day... I don't care.

With that being said however, those parents pay for the extra services. Families contract to pick up at x time. The later you contract for the more your weekly fees are.

So even though I am open 10 hours a day, not all parents contract to use the whole 10 hours. Some do and some don't. I don't care either way because I am being paid for whatever option they choose.

Another area I choose not to "stress" over. I just figured out what I needed for it not to bother me and put it out there (tiered rate scale) and now it's not an issue.at.all.

I know EXACTLY when I will be done working every single day (to the minute) and make the same, if not more money than I did when I just had parents being here from open to close.
laundrymom 06:00 AM 05-07-2015
I'm open 13 hours a day. I've had people use every single minute before. My contracted hours helped that immensely. But we each do what works for us. :-)

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
No I do not limit the number of hours a parent can use.

I am a business that sells a service. I am not in the business of dictating how much or in what manner a parent can purchase and use those services.

As long as a parent can be reached I don't even care if they are at work or school....they can be at home watching TV all day... I don't care.

With that being said however, those parents pay for the extra services. Families contract to pick up at x time. The later you contract for the more your weekly fees are.

So even though I am open 10 hours a day, not all parents contract to use the whole 10 hours. Some do and some don't. I don't care either way because I am being paid for whatever option they choose.

Another area I choose not to "stress" over. I just figured out what I needed for it not to bother me and put it out there (tiered rate scale) and now it's not an issue.at.all.

I know EXACTLY when I will be done working every single day (to the minute) and make the same, if not more money than I did when I just had parents being here from open to close.

Thriftylady 06:47 AM 05-07-2015
I don't limit the amount of hours, because hubby has had several jobs that require 12 hours, so I understand. I do however do contracted hours, and you pay more if you want more hours. However, most people that work 12 hour shifts, don't work 5 days a week, so care is likely less days per week, at least with contracted hours. I know some parents would bring them every day if it wasn't contracted hours.
Second Home 07:26 AM 05-07-2015
I am open 10 hours a day , that is what they can use . And most of my dck are here open to close .
Annalee 08:43 AM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Do you all have a limit on the number of hours, per day, that you allow the child to be in care? (Example: I'm open 12hrs, but only allow 10hrs per day) Parents are asking why only 10 if you're open 12?
I open 6-4:30 and allow 9.5 hours per day per child. I have a nurse who uses 6-4:30 3 days a week but she can't come the other 2 days unless I allow and only if she pays extra.
finsup 10:44 AM 05-07-2015
I don't have set hours. In my ads etc I just state "hours can be flexible to your work schedule. Rates are individualized and based upon how many hours/days of care are needed." This eliminated parents wanting care from 6am to 6pm as they know they will pay more for that, gets way more people in because daycares here are almost all 8-5. That doesn't work for a lot of families, most need care earlier. Plus it allows me to decide "do I really want a family until 6pm when I have another saying they'll pick up at 3"? My rates don't vary a whole lot, give or take 10$ depending on times they drop off/pick up but I will offer a better rate to families who have an earlier pick up time because that's what I like. It's worked well for me at least
kitykids3 10:52 AM 05-07-2015
For PT kiddos they pay their hourly rate up to 9.5 hours a day. FT get their weekly rate for up to 9.5 hrs/day and 47.5 per week. Anything beyond 9.5 or 47.5/week for either is $7.00 per hour. I do contracted hours and no one contracts for more than the 9.5, but they do end up paying late fees when late.
ColorfulSunburst 10:58 AM 05-07-2015
My DC is open 7am-7pm. If parents need 12 hrs service they get it.
NightOwl 11:19 AM 05-07-2015
I don't limit, but I do wonder about behavior being a factor for those who are here for extended periods on a regular basis. It always seems like the worst behaved kids are here from open to close.
Blackcat31 11:26 AM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
I don't limit, but I do wonder about behavior being a factor for those who are here for extended periods on a regular basis. It always seems like the worst behaved kids are here from open to close.
I have the opposite here... The 2 kids here the longest are by far the best behaved and easiest to deal with.

I am sure the time in care plays a role in their behavior but I wonder about the quality of time away from care... Kwim?

Say I have kid A for 40 hours a week and kid B for 20

If Kid A's mom spends good quality face time with him the hours he isnt in care but Kid B's mom spends very little time WITH her child even though he is home more, I bet Kid B is the one with worse behaviors.

Im sure thats not everyones experience but thats the way its been for me.
Annalee 11:30 AM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have the opposite here... The 2 kids here the longest are by far the best behaved and easiest to deal with.

I am sure the time in care plays a role in their behavior but I wonder about the quality of time away from care... Kwim?

Say I have kid A for 40 hours a week and kid B for 20

If Kid A's mom spends good quality face time with him the hours he isnt in care but Kid B's mom spends very little time WITH her child even though he is home more, I bet Kid B is the one with worse behaviors.

Im sure thats not everyones experience but thats the way its been for me.
My dad always said there was a difference in quantity and quality but many parents do not get it. He says amounts of time mean nothing...also that being in the same room means nothing....quality means making the moments count when parent/child are together I think the kids you mentioned reflect these ideas.
NightOwl 12:11 PM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
My dad always said there was a difference in quantity and quality but many parents do not get it. He says amounts of time mean nothing...also that being in the same room means nothing....quality means making the moments count when parent/child are together I think the kids you mentioned reflect these ideas.
That is true, but I'm wondering if younger kids "get" that. For toddlers, everything is more, more, more, now, now, now. My dcb with the worst behavior is here the longest, but he also has a predisposition for behavior issues because it's in the genes. I'm thinking of adopting the whole tier rate plan. I'm going to search it and see how it works. Dcm is extremely frugal and would probably take advantage of a chance to save money.
Thriftylady 12:14 PM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
That is true, but I'm wondering if younger kids "get" that. For toddlers, everything is more, more, more, now, now, now. My dcb with the worst behavior is here the longest, but he also has a predisposition for behavior issues because it's in the genes. I'm thinking of adopting the whole tier rate plan. I'm going to search it and see how it works. Dcm is extremely frugal and would probably take advantage of a chance to save money.
I am trying to work one of those in myself. Just still trying to figure out how it will work best for me.
nanglgrl 12:17 PM 05-07-2015
None of my dcks are here more than 8 hours. I open at 7:30 and most children are dropped off closer to 8:15. My parents contract their pick up time. My rate for pick up at 3:30 is much cheaper than my rates for pick up from 3:31-5. My absolute latest closing time is 5 but no one is here that late. I do get a lot of calls for people saying they need open to close and when I explain my rates 99% of the time they can suddenly make an earlier pick up work. I wish I could take credit for this idea but it was all BLackcat and nanny dee.
childcaremom 01:42 PM 05-07-2015
I agree with this.

My 2 long hour kids were here for almost 11 hours.

One had lots of quality time with mom and dad but it involved late nights and inconsistent sleep so they could fit in all the activities.

The other was here for a long day, picked up by mom and then dropped off at grandmas. Little to no face time with mom.
Unregistered 03:12 PM 05-07-2015

I disagree a little. I think it is hard to have quality time without "quantity" time. Many parents who spend very little time with their kid miss out on those quality moments because they just are not around. Of course, there are many parents who spend a lot time with their kid, but don't actually "spend time with their kid." I am sure it goes both ways, but I find that parents who around their kid a lot have more "quality time". Their children act better and are better behaved around them, so there is a lot more opportunity for quality time.
Crazy8 04:59 PM 05-07-2015
No, but I am only open 9.5 hours (7:30-5) anyway.
Snowmom 07:05 PM 05-08-2015
In a way I do.
I'm open 7:30-5:30. I don't do contracted hours.
In the past, all 6 of my families would drop off at 7:30 and pick up as close to 5:30 as they could. I found myself getting burnt out because having a full house open to close meant I spent more time AFTER closing cleaning up and getting my house back in order (not to mention grocery shopping and record keeping).
So before I redid contracts for 2014, I changed my approach a little.
I told everyone that my rates were staying the same, but I was changing how my time was available. Their weekly rate now included 9 hours of care. If they required more (even 5 minutes more), they would be charged an overtime rate of $5 per day for that extra time.
$5...yes...$5 was enough for every single set of parents to pick up an hour earlier. It's now been over a year and I think I've charged the $5 fee about 6 times. Now, I have more time (with only 2 kids here between 5-5:30) to start cleaning up and I spend less time working after closing.
Reply Up