Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bf dcb not taking bottles
KiddieCahoots 03:39 PM 01-06-2015
I have a new 7month dcb who is in daycare for the first time, breastfed, and will not accept a bottle, and is miserable.....(she's a screamer not a crier).
This also interferes with naps, she's normally nursed to sleep.
She is in my care on an average of 6-7 long hours.
What are some tips to help her adjust to a bottle?
And how long should someone reasonably allow for a baby to adjust to this before thinking of terming?
NeedaVaca 03:59 PM 01-06-2015
I couldn't care for a baby for one day that wasn't getting fed. Imagine how starved she must be! Mom needs to get her on a bottle before returning to care.
Ariana 04:58 PM 01-06-2015
The fact that this mother did not wean her baby onto a bottle before starting care shows how selfish she is. That poor little baby . It's not uncommon for babies who are BF to refuse bottle. One thing I would suggest is to use a Rubbermaid litterless juicebox instead. My kids, who were both BF took to those right away over bottles. Anyone I have suggested it to has also had success. It might take a bit to catch onto sucking through a straw but both my kids took to it pretty fast. Good luck
cara041083 05:07 PM 01-06-2015
I would tell the mom that the baby needs to be adjusted to a bottle before you continue care. I have tried and tried to keep BF babies that didn't like the bottle and it is awful. Good luck
sharlan 06:14 PM 01-06-2015
My last bf baby lasted one day. I had Mom come home at lunch to feed him, had Dad come early. Mom quit her job the next morning.

I will never take another bf baby without the parents PROVING that the baby will take a bottle.
Givingthemgrace 06:53 AM 01-07-2015
If baby won't take a bottle, I would call mom/dad to come feed baby. and hopefully mom wouldn't just come, nurse, and go back to work, or the next feeding will be the same thing.
Baby Beluga 07:07 AM 01-07-2015
When I first started I had this problem and it was horrible! The baby was 6 months as sweet as pie but exclusively breastfed and would not take a bottle to save her life. At the time I didn't have the guts to tell her I couldn't take the baby if she wouldn't drink from a bottle, so I tried to work with mom. I had mom bring a worn shirt and I would lay it by the baby's head and within a couple of days that seemed to help quite a bit.
cheerfuldom 08:03 AM 01-07-2015
I would not keep a screaming baby that wont take a bottle. I can work on one or the other but both combined is an immediate term. Too much work. Mom should have had this worked out months ago.
Cradle2crayons 10:01 AM 01-07-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:
My last bf baby lasted one day. I had Mom come home at lunch to feed him, had Dad come early. Mom quit her job the next morning.

I will never take another bf baby without the parents PROVING that the baby will take a bottle.
This. All bf Babis who start care... I make mom bring the baby in before day one and SHOW ME the baby will successfully bottle feed.
Reply Up