Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeling a Little Overwhelmed at Times...
SunflowerMama 05:55 PM 03-29-2010
I feel like I have all these great ideas and activities planned and then the day begins and everything changes. I'm sure this will all get easier but I just feel like I'm not accomplishing what I would like to with the kids during the day.

I had all these circle time songs ready for today and we never really had a circle time . We read our bible stories but then the 15 month old broke up the train track and the 3 year olds all lost it and things went down hill from there until lunch.

Tell me things get easier and less stressful.
Francine 06:24 PM 03-29-2010
It will get easier! I am just getting back into daycare after a two year break but I remember lots of days just like that. The way I figure it is if the kids are happy, fed, changed, all together well taken care of it doesn't really matter if you stick to the plan everyday. I remember more days that didn't go as I had planned than did, they're kids whatja gotta do?
misol 07:34 PM 03-29-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
I feel like I have all these great ideas and activities planned and then the day begins and everything changes. I'm sure this will all get easier but I just feel like I'm not accomplishing what I would like to with the kids during the day.

I had all these circle time songs ready for today and we never really had a circle time . We read our bible stories but then the 15 month old broke up the train track and the 3 year olds all lost it and things went down hill from there until lunch.

Tell me things get easier and less stressful.
Your days sound like my days What works for me is to put high chairs in the circle for circle time/ craft time/ story time. So that the younger ones that can't/won't sit still can still feel included but won't be all over the place.
Pammie 04:20 AM 03-30-2010
Welcome to my world
I've found that what works best for me is to have a plan for the day - and then if it's a day that the kids are feeling wonderfully cooperative and productive, we might get to everything in my plan....but if we start with circle time and they're loving the songs - we keep at it until their interest starts to fade.....likewise with story time - sometimes they'll be interested and engaged enough to sit through 7 or 8 books - other days we don't make it past one

I explain it to parents during interviews that no child is going to have a positive, learning experience if I force them to participate/cooperate....and if we start with an art project, or a science experiment, and their questions and discoveries lead us off on a tangent for the day that they're all excited about, then that's where we go! We might totally miss music time one day - but spend two hours with music/dancing/instruments the next day.

Personally, I think it's okay to scrap the plan for the day, and follow the lead of the kids - as long as they are happy, productive, engaged and learning! Most kids aren't going to stress about not having circle time one day - I think we shouldn't either!
mac60 04:40 AM 03-30-2010
I don't incorporate the younger ones (15 mo olds) into my activities for the preschoolers. We do preschool and activities in the morning when they are sleeping. No need to bat yourself trying to make a 15 mo old cooperate, probably not going to happen. Set aside a little time in the mornings, when the younger ones are taking their morning nap, and do the activities then. It will be much easier for you.

I also learned over the years, that I do not have to "entertain" them 9 hours per day. I have activities planned in the mornings during nap time and if I have a child not cooperate (meaning a preschool child), they will just be removed to time out until we are done. Somedays the kids just want to play and not be forced to sit and do an activity, and there is nothing wrong with the. I think kids today are forced too much into structure, and instead need to learn to use their imagination, play together and learn to get along, etc. Tha is a very important part of social learning.
momma2girls 05:04 AM 03-30-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I don't incorporate the younger ones (15 mo olds) into my activities for the preschoolers. We do preschool and activities in the morning when they are sleeping. No need to bat yourself trying to make a 15 mo old cooperate, probably not going to happen. Set aside a little time in the mornings, when the younger ones are taking their morning nap, and do the activities then. It will be much easier for you.

I also learned over the years, that I do not have to "entertain" them 9 hours per day. I have activities planned in the mornings during nap time and if I have a child not cooperate (meaning a preschool child), they will just be removed to time out until we are done. Somedays the kids just want to play and not be forced to sit and do an activity, and there is nothing wrong with the. I think kids today are forced too much into structure, and instead need to learn to use their imagination, play together and learn to get along, etc. Tha is a very important part of social learning.
I don't either, I do am circletime, weather, date, etc. while the babies are having their am naps.
melskids 09:48 AM 03-30-2010
right now i have a 6mo, 19 mo, and 24mo. circle time consists of me sitting at circle singing and talking to myself while they continue to play with whatever they want. i know that they are at least being exposed to language by hearing me carry on, and eventually, one day, they may join me. i feel silly sometimes, and i'm sure an outsider would look at me as if i need to be locked up with all the talking to myself i do...lol
Tags:vent
Reply Up