Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crying Because We Can't Go Outside
Carebear 10:05 AM 10-04-2017
I have a dcb who has been here since March, he will be 2 in December. He loves being outside which is great because we are outside all day. It started raining yesterday and will rain the rest of the week. He has been screaming and crying all day long for the past 2 days. I have tried bringing out the special toys, different center etc and nothing seems to be working. Any ideas? He doesn't want to be held. I'm hoping it will just take some time for him to adjust being inside with winter coming.
Blackcat31 10:10 AM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by Carebear:
I have a dcb who has been here since March, he will be 2 in December. He loves being outside which is great because we are outside all day. It started raining yesterday and will rain the rest of the week. He has been screaming and crying all day long for the past 2 days. I have tried bringing out the special toys, different center etc and nothing seems to be working. Any ideas? He doesn't want to be held. I'm hoping it will just take some time for him to adjust being inside with winter coming.
oooh, do NOT do that...

Any time a child wants something but can't have it/do it etc they must learn coping skills... don't try to make things better by doing "special". If you do, "special" will have to become bigger and bigger and bigger and more special every time....until you empty of ideas.

I'd spend the time validating his feelings and having him go play...something along the lines of:

"I understand you are sad it's raining DCB but I can't control the weather. Go find something else to do."
Kajada 10:32 AM 10-04-2017
Can you go out in the rain? We usually do, unless it's absolutely pouring or there's lightning. The kids bring boots and a raincoat so we head out, get soaked, and change into dry clothes afterward. We love it! Even if it's just for a few minutes, it's totally worth it for me/my group.

I agree with Blackcat about the special toys and coping skills.
daycarediva 11:12 AM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
oooh, do NOT do that...

Any time a child wants something but can't have it/do it etc they must learn coping skills... don't try to make things better by doing "special". If you do, "special" will have to become bigger and bigger and bigger and more special every time....until you empty of ideas.

I'd spend the time validating his feelings and having him go play...something along the lines of:

"I understand you are sad it's raining DCB but I can't control the weather. Go find something else to do."
Originally Posted by Kajada:
Can you go out in the rain? We usually do, unless it's absolutely pouring or there's lightning. The kids bring boots and a raincoat so we head out, get soaked, and change into dry clothes afterward. We love it! Even if it's just for a few minutes, it's totally worth it for me/my group.

I agree with Blackcat about the special toys and coping skills.
Agreed with ALL of this.

We are outside in all kinds of weather, unless there is thunder/lightning or a dangerous weather alert
Pestle 12:51 PM 10-04-2017
I keep balance toys for the inside days. I also do a lot of extra circle time-- "Okay! Let's get the wiggles out!"
Snowmom 02:58 PM 10-04-2017
If the crying keeps up, give him a crying spot.

When he's ready to stop crying, he can come out and join the group.
Unregistered 06:13 PM 10-04-2017
I'm mean. After 30 min I would open the backdoor and say "fine, go play" and wait 2 minutes for him to cry that he wants to come inside. It wont be fun in the wet rain/mud and being by himself. I had a daycare girl (also my cousins kid) that didn't want to come inside today. I said fine, have fun by yourself. I took the other kids inside and sent them with my assistant to wash hands and transition to preschool time. I stood by the door spying through the window (where I live they have to be within sight and sound, I wasn't breaking any regulations by having this child outside without an adult). She went down the slide once. Went to get on a ride on toy, looked around and pouted. came to the back door and tried to open it. she couldn't get it so she started crying. That's when I opened it. her adventure lasted about 2 minutes, then she spent 4 minutes in time out for not following directions and coming inside when she was told to.
Bddy 07:49 PM 10-04-2017
Arent licensed daycares required to go out? I know it's a hassle but the kids are so much better behaved if they get to run and scream for a little while each day.
I worked for a lady who's book said we go out in rain or snow every day - in actuality we were inside from Sept-April.
I felt so bad for the kids not being able to run at ages 2,3,4 for up to ten hours. Obviously the kids couldn't yell
Or run inside and we're limited in rxploring nature/seasons etc inside.
Even if it's just ten minutes, developmentally, they need exercise and I thought it was a requirement if you're licensed.
Where I worked all the parents knew though, I imagine, and didn't mind or didn't say so.
Ariana 09:00 AM 10-05-2017
When we get rain here it is usually during a thunderstorm so we don’t go out. It is a safety issue. I have one kid who makes a fuss but I just ignore and he moves on. We also get freezing rain in the winter which is also trecherous for walking and sometimes the wind coming off the nearby farm is too much for little ones. We get out the other 90% of the time

We get plenty of exercise on those indoor days in my larger playroom. I push back the activity centres and we run, play tag etc. I also have a large hammock swing and a small trampoline down there.
Blackcat31 10:16 AM 10-05-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm mean. After 30 min I would open the backdoor and say "fine, go play" and wait 2 minutes for him to cry that he wants to come inside. It wont be fun in the wet rain/mud and being by himself. I had a daycare girl (also my cousins kid) that didn't want to come inside today. I said fine, have fun by yourself. I took the other kids inside and sent them with my assistant to wash hands and transition to preschool time. I stood by the door spying through the window (where I live they have to be within sight and sound, I wasn't breaking any regulations by having this child outside without an adult). She went down the slide once. Went to get on a ride on toy, looked around and pouted. came to the back door and tried to open it. she couldn't get it so she started crying. That's when I opened it. her adventure lasted about 2 minutes, then she spent 4 minutes in time out for not following directions and coming inside when she was told to.
Crossing my fingers that this is a joke....
LysesKids 10:20 AM 10-05-2017
Originally Posted by Bddy:
Arent licensed daycares required to go out? I know it's a hassle but the kids are so much better behaved if they get to run and scream for a little while each day.
I worked for a lady who's book said we go out in rain or snow every day - in actuality we were inside from Sept-April.
I felt so bad for the kids not being able to run at ages 2,3,4 for up to ten hours. Obviously the kids couldn't yell
Or run inside and we're limited in rxploring nature/seasons etc inside.
Even if it's just ten minutes, developmentally, they need exercise and I thought it was a requirement if you're licensed.
Where I worked all the parents knew though, I imagine, and didn't mind or didn't say so.
Because most of mine crawl or are newborns, it would be a disaster to go out in the rain here (plus many times the storms have thunder & wind); I would be changing everyones clothes at least twice a day; as it is, I'm explaining I need babes layered and with jackets because it's 50 in the morning & 80 in afternoon... most the parents assume they can wrap in blankets... NO, they are crawling & its chilly outside, a blanket won't doZip to keep them warm at 9am. And we do go out in weather appropriate conditions which is stated on my website (I'm legally licensed exempt)
Tags:outside play, rainy day
Reply Up