Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Am Seriously So Worn Out
sahm2three 08:55 AM 03-04-2011
This has been a terrible week! Kids have been out of sorts, and I am hoping that things improve next week, because if they keep up this way, there is NO way I can do this much longer! I know that my family being sick this week didn't help matters. But the kids are talking back, constantly fighting, won't even listen during story time (which they usually really love!). I had some fun things planned for Dr. Seuss's bday and that didn't happen because they were OUT OF CONTROL that day. I honestly wonder if I am cut out for this!? I don't know what I can do differently. I give so many time outs in a day, over and over and over, that many times I canot even remember what they did to get into time out. For those who don't do time outs, what do you do?! There has to be a consequence, or they will never learn. And our hands are tied as providers as to how much we can do. Ideas?
newtodaycare22 09:04 AM 03-04-2011
How old are the kids? Is it a new group or has their behavior just recently changed?
SilverSabre25 09:09 AM 03-04-2011
Maybe it's time for a drastic change to your space or your daily routine. Perhaps spend part of the weekend changing up your space, rotating a bunch of the toys--maybe just take a bunch of the toys away so there's less out.
sahm2three 09:34 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
How old are the kids? Is it a new group or has their behavior just recently changed?
I have had some of these kids since June of last year and the rest since September! So no newbies!!! They are all rambunctious boys, but this week has been EXTREME!!

Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Maybe it's time for a drastic change to your space or your daily routine. Perhaps spend part of the weekend changing up your space, rotating a bunch of the toys--maybe just take a bunch of the toys away so there's less out.
I actually just rotated toys last week. They have all new toys. I may try to rearrange furniture or something. I can't even read to them! They need a boxing ring!
newtodaycare22 10:03 AM 03-04-2011
Maybe try this: ( I call it "Alone time")

I had a summer camp where things got like you are describing, and kids were at each other throats. I spread them out as much as possible, gave them each 1 book, and told them that they were not to speak to each other. I explained how friends were a special thing and if they could not treat each other (or me) kindly, then we would just have alone time for the rest of the day. For the first 5 minutes, they were fine. After that, it was torture. (I did it for maybe 20 minutes...but they were a little older kids).

We had 1 more day where we did this and that was enough of that. Every time I threatened "Alone time" they immediately started speaking nicer and listening. It's amazing what taking away socialization can do. Good luck!
Cat Herder 10:40 AM 03-04-2011
PP have hit on what I was thinking for the most part...

You may also want to take a look at the amount of starches and sugars in the daily diets... If there is "white" in all 4 snacks and meals on any given day you are setting yourself up for failure.

Double up on high fiber (beans, broccoli, whole grains etc.) and get rid of white (bleached flour, breading, cookies, white potato's, white rice) for a bit...

Try cutting your juice in half with water, then just offer it twice, a couple hours apart, to meet your requirements if your food program requires 100% juice... directly from our trainer)

Go down to 2% milk fat.

It takes the body lots of work to process those foods into energy so the kids sleep better and get better nutrition for their developing brains...win-win.

There is a good chance you will see a drastic difference by next Friday...
sahm2three 11:13 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
PP have hit on what I was thinking for the most part...

You may also want to take a look at the amount of starches and sugars in the daily diets... If there is "white" in all 4 snacks and meals on any given day you are setting yourself up for failure.

Double up on high fiber (beans, broccoli, whole grains etc.) and get rid of white (bleached flour, breading, cookies, white potato's, white rice) for a bit...

Try cutting your juice in half with water, then just offer it twice, a couple hours apart, to meet your requirements if your food program requires 100% juice... directly from our trainer)

Go down to 2% milk fat.

It takes the body lots of work to process those foods into energy so the kids sleep better and get better nutrition for their developing brains...win-win.

There is a good chance you will see a drastic difference by next Friday...
I totally agree with you! We only eat whole grains, whole wheat, and organic fruits here. We don't do anything white. They only get juice at snack times (and the littles that I am having issues with are getting half juice half water already). I can tell you that most of them complained about my food at first because most of them eat nothing but fast food or mac and cheese and hot dogs or chicken nuggets. Sorry. Not here. But at home, like I said, whole other story!

They all love to beat on eachother. I try to intervene but the second I turn my back on them they are at it again. Should I just let them?! I worry that they will end up getting hurt, bruised or whatever and then I have to explain it. They throw toys at eachother, at the walls, at the animals, at the flat screen tv! UGH!

Don't know if I mentioned the ages. The oldest is 2.5, then 2, then 20 months, then 18 months. Those are the trouble makers! I have other kids too, but these are the boys I am having issues with.

Today we were doing flash cards of colors and shapes, and they normally LOVE this. BUT, today, they were rolling all over the place, kicking eachother, just plain crazy. It makes me want to just give up trying to do anything educational and just let them go at it.

TGIF.
daycare 11:15 AM 03-04-2011
I have some days where I only have boys and so I can feel you on this. When this happens and they are starting to get out of control, we go outside. Is this possible for you?

we also move on to more physical things...like filling boxes with blocks, carrying them from when end of the room to the next. Make it didfficult... require them to use their brain and body at the same time... think of things that will tire them out..

sometimes when they get crazy I turn on some music and we see who can jump the most or the highest, or something like this...

I have 3 boys who all have ADD none are on medication....
Tags:dr. seuss, overwhelmed, stressed, worn out
Reply Up