Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>After School Meltdown Article
BumbleBee 02:06 PM 09-07-2013
http://jerseymomsblog.com/2010/09/th...-meltdown-rtp/

I have 2 Screech-Melt's this year (pre-k & 3rd grad). Anybody else?

What's your go-to for the after school meltdown?
Lavender 02:39 PM 09-07-2013
Thank you so much for sharing that. I have a daughter who has a number of developmental and learning disabilities as well as visual impairments and other challenges. I don't know if it is the pent up emotions and frustrations letting loose or what, but she is highly prone to the after-school meltdown/screaming fit. It's good to know that I'm not alone.
preschoolteacher 08:09 PM 09-08-2013
Makes me sad! Sounds like people are asking too much from kids these days. I don't think kids should have to experience such high levels of pressure and stress like they do now!
Lavender 01:48 PM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
Makes me sad! Sounds like people are asking too much from kids these days. I don't think kids should have to experience such high levels of pressure and stress like they do now!
My daughter's meltdowns are not caused by me. It isn't about asking too much or high levels of pressure or stress. It is about her struggles and letting the frustrations build up all day. I'm her safe place.
preschoolteacher 02:42 PM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by Lavender:
I'm her safe place.
Oh, I completely believe it and didn't mean to imply you caused it.

I do think that it's too bad that school has become so stressful for kids. I'm thinking things like... shorter recess, phy. ed only a few times a week, art only a few times a week, moving content into younger and younger grades (K kids are doing what 1st graders were once expected to do, 1st graders are doing what 2nd graders used to do), testing is moving into younger and younger grades... It would be stressful for anyone, let alone a child.
Cat Herder 11:29 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
I have 2 Screech-Melt's this year (pre-k & 3rd grad). Anybody else?

What's your go-to for the after school meltdown?
Avoid direct eye contact, don't speak, offer warm cookies/muffins/brownies, milk, fresh fruit and point to a soft seating/reading corner.

They become human, again, in about 35 minutes.

Oh, mine are high schoolers, now... It does not change.
daycarediva 11:35 AM 09-10-2013
My own kindergartener has this BAD. He hit his brother yesterday and he has NEVER hit ANYONE before. Today we are trying some R & R with Daddy and a bike ride to let some energy out before attempting homework.*

*no typo, he has HOMEWORK in the form of worksheets EVERY NIGHT. Yesterday's took 30 minutes. I hate the new common core standards!
Cat Herder 11:42 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
*no typo, he has HOMEWORK in the form of worksheets EVERY NIGHT. Yesterday's took 30 minutes. I hate the new common core standards!
My "ratings" expects us to send home *homework* from DAYCARE (2-4 year olds) to "encourage parental involvement". It is out of hand....

Ya know, parents would not spend time with their kids if the 'Gubment (sic) didn't enforce it.

The public school teachers get the brunt of the public outcry, too...
spud912 02:32 PM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
My "ratings" expects us to send home *homework* from DAYCARE (2-4 year olds) to "encourage parental involvement". It is out of hand....

Ya know, parents would not spend time with their kids if the 'Gubment (sic) didn't enforce it.

The public school teachers get the brunt of the public outcry, too...
WOW!
Tags:meltdown, school age, stress
Reply Up