Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:58 PM
Unregistered

Default Clingy Child

I started watching a 12 month old about a month ago and she is so clingy. She will play with the other kids if I’m right there but the second I need to do something else such as go in the kitchen (I have an open layout) or go wash my hands, help someone in the bathroom, she starts screaming. She just follows me screaming. I’m really hoping she gets over this, I really want it to work but it makes it very difficult to tend to the other kids. How would you guys handle this?
Old 10-15-2018, 05:50 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I started watching a 12 month old about a month ago and she is so clingy. She will play with the other kids if I’m right there but the second I need to do something else such as go in the kitchen (I have an open layout) or go wash my hands, help someone in the bathroom, she starts screaming. She just follows me screaming. I’m really hoping she gets over this, I really want it to work but it makes it very difficult to tend to the other kids. How would you guys handle this?
It's ok she has these feelings. Acknowledge, "wow you're really upset I can't be with you right now." but let her be. Those feelings are fine, but they don't need to intrude on yours. "you have big feelings about that!" is a common phrase of mine. It communicates that I care, but that I'm not alternating my schedule for their perceived schedule.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:35 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

This is part of the bonding process. Every 12 month old I have started reacted this way for the first few weeks. They will eventually get used to you and feel secure with you. The best thing to do is tell her you are going to be right back so I will say “its ok Ariana has to help Lisa in the bahtroom I will be right back” and then when you come back say “see I came back I am right here, everything is ok” and give her a little hug. She is in a new place and she is scared so when you leave she feels less secure in her surroundings. It is a good sign she is bonding with you!

Tags
clingy