Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Milk Do You Give The Kids?
Daycaremomof2 05:48 PM 01-26-2012
I offer milk to the children in the mornings, and at lunchtime. I have one boy who wants to drink milk all day long, and he would drink 4-5 glasses or more if he could. I really don't make enough $$ for this child to be drinking 1/2 gallon of milk a day to himself. The problem is that is all he drins. He refuses water. I gave him some of my kids organic apple juice and he took a sip and even refused that (which irritated me because organic apple juice is like, $4.99 a bottle, and when I give it to my kids I water it down first to cut down on sugar and make it last).

His mother informed me that he only drinks juice and milk and he doesnt drink water. How much milk do you give your kids daily? If I provide the 2 big, full sippy cups a day, is it a problem to fill it with water the rest of the day? What if he doesnt drink the water?

It is starting to become an issue because everyday he complains to his mom that he wants more milk in his cup.
Ariana 05:59 PM 01-26-2012
How old is he? My 2.5 yr old only gets a max of 16 oz per day of either rice or almond milk. The rest is water and watered down juice. I also only serve almond milk so not so much saturated fat but same amount of calcium and nutrients.
SilverSabre25 06:00 PM 01-26-2012
Honestly? I don't give any...except to babies. I'm not on the food program and therefore am not required to offer milk. I strongly disagree with the government's idea that dairy milk is so freaking wonderful and is *the way to go* for everyone, all the time, the best/only source of calcium/etc. Really, really, really, REALLY do not agree with this. For a lot of reasons that I won't go into unless someone asks me.

We eat lots of things that provide us with calcium and protein--cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese (yes, all dairy, but marginally better than regular dairy milk due to the fermentation process), dark leafy greens, etc. I get our "milk" in in a variety of ways.

My kids are offered nothing but water at all meals and snacks. They all drink it, too, though it took a long time for some of them. Now they guzzle water like it's going out of style

My daycare parents are all well aware of my views on milk and fully understand and support my decision to not offer it to drink. Most of them don't push the milk at home either.
Heidi 06:13 PM 01-26-2012
Milk with meals, any time in between, it's water. If he's that thirsty, he will drink water. If he doesn't want water, well...he must not be all that thirsty.

I do not allow sippy cup toting around here, either. The older ones know where I keep the cups. They usually tell me they are thirsty, and I tell them "go ahead and get a cup out, and get yourself a drink of water". They like using the thing on the fridge, then their cup goes on the counter.

The toddlers sometimes indicate thirst when they see this, so I get out sippies, fill them with water, and let them take a good long drink. Then despite protests, I put the cups up. They do not need to carry them around, and the few times I've turned my back, they usually throw them, or work really hard to squirt water out and play with it. nah uh!

Be confident, lady. He in no way NEEDS access to milk 24/7!
saved4always 06:27 PM 01-26-2012
I am not on any food program so the food for the kids comes out of my pocket. And I am not the most expensive provider in the area by a long shot. My contract says that I will supply snacks and lunch. I will also provide juice if the parents want their child to have it (none of mine now do). I buy skim milk for my family so, if the parents want me to supply milk, that is the only kind I have. None of the parents want their kids to have juice or skim, so they have been bringing milk to me. They usually bring one or 2 full sippy cups; one child brings a half gallon for the week. I only allow the kids to drink at the table. No sippy cup toting at my house either. Those things drip no matter what you do.
PitterPatter 06:47 PM 01-26-2012
I am on the food prog. My kids get 8 oz 1% milk per meal, refills are water. Through the day water. PM snack is 8oz juice or water.

I really gotta say how addicted I am to Silk personally!! I Love the almond milk and chocolate Silk for myself.
momma2girls 06:56 PM 01-26-2012
I give milk only at dinnertime. I give water or 100% apple juice at snacks.
sharlan 07:07 PM 01-26-2012
I give them whatever they want to drink, whenever they want. Sometimes it's milk, juice, iced tea, or water. I serve either milk or juice with breakfast and milk at dinner.
jenn 07:11 PM 01-26-2012
I give each kid a full cup (8oz) of milk at breakfast and at lunch. If they need a refill during the meal or in between meals, they get water.
Countrygal 07:14 PM 01-26-2012
My food program requires milk at each meal, so that's when I give it. That's plenty. Snacks and in between it's juice (if it fits in for a fruit) or water otherwise. Occasionally I will give hot chocolate or strawberry milk as a "treat", but that's like once a week.
laundrymom 07:19 PM 01-26-2012
I give food program amounts at snack, lunch & dinner. After they drink that they get water.
Texasjeepgirl 07:53 PM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I give food program amounts at snack, lunch & dinner. After they drink that they get water.
ditto.. double DITTO..
I serve MILK with breakfast... 1 cup... if they drink it all..I put water in their cup...
which actually... to be more specific..we have 2 seperate cups per day.. 1 milk cup.. 1 water cup.. the milk cup goes back in the fridge..the water cup stays on the kitchen counter all day.. I refill as needed...it is available at all times..
About 14 .. 15 year ago.. I had a little boy...
he had ice water in his cup...
his mom came in.. he took a drink
shook it...and said.. I want JUICY... Juicy..
I ignored him..in a few seconds he said.. mommy I want juicy.. juicy..
I spoke up and said.. I think you have plenty of water in your cup... he said.. I want JUICY.. I said... sorry.. we had juice earlier.. for snack...now you have ice water..
his mom said.. would it be a problem if I brought that juice that comes off the SCHWAN'S truck.. I said.. do you mean that juice DRINK? THAT IS LIKE KOOL AID..she said.. yes that's it. I said...yes.. it would be a problem..I participate in a FOOD PROGRAM.. .I take classes that TRAIN ME in NUTRITION...and one of the main things they teach us is.. kids NEED WATER... they need milk.. and they NEED water.. THEY DO NOT NEED JUICE...and they certainly do not need KOOL AID..

She said.. well.. we live in the country...and our water is WELL WATER...and he just doesn't like the taste of WATER...
I said...well.. I'm in the city... I'm not on well water...
and.. I serve what is required of me...by the food program.. fluid milk for breakfast.. fluid milk for lunch..and milk or juice for snack.. after that...WATER.... WATER... WATER...and no.. I'm not going to serve your son kool aid...even if you provide it...while I serve all the other kids WATER...he doesn't NEED KOOL AID..and it would be a huge issue.. so.. thank you..

Daycaremomof2 06:52 AM 01-27-2012
He's 3.5 years old-

I agree about cow's Milk not necessairly being the best choice for humans in general, and give my own children Almond milk and formerly soy milk, until I read something about soy products having phytoestrogens in them and causing early puberty in girls. (So hard to follow the health trends these days)

I guess my main concern was dehydration. I feel like I have to either give him milk or he will be thirsty from play and not drink water. Maybe if he's thirsty enough he will drink the water like everyone else...

Thank you everyone for your stories and thughts on the subject!
Meyou 06:57 AM 01-27-2012
I give one serving per day.
Nellie 07:47 AM 01-27-2012
I serve water with the meals so that they can have milk inbetween if they want. The kids that don't drink milk between meals I do push at least one glass on them at lunch. Other than that most kids drink 2 to 5 glass. I don't limit and it comes out of my pocket. I typically don't do juice and only serve fresh fruits with snacks and meals.
countrymom 07:49 AM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Honestly? I don't give any...except to babies. I'm not on the food program and therefore am not required to offer milk. I strongly disagree with the government's idea that dairy milk is so freaking wonderful and is *the way to go* for everyone, all the time, the best/only source of calcium/etc. Really, really, really, REALLY do not agree with this. For a lot of reasons that I won't go into unless someone asks me.

We eat lots of things that provide us with calcium and protein--cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese (yes, all dairy, but marginally better than regular dairy milk due to the fermentation process), dark leafy greens, etc. I get our "milk" in in a variety of ways.

My kids are offered nothing but water at all meals and snacks. They all drink it, too, though it took a long time for some of them. Now they guzzle water like it's going out of style

My daycare parents are all well aware of my views on milk and fully understand and support my decision to not offer it to drink. Most of them don't push the milk at home either.
yup, here too. Acually I started to find that I was dumping alot of milk out and in ontario milk is expesive. And my kids love yogurt and cheese.
CheekyChick 08:05 AM 01-27-2012
I serve milk with breakfast and lunch. Water and juice in between. I let them carry their cups around for the most part in between meals because I don't want them to get dehydrated. Especially the little ones who can't tell me they are thirsty. It's a bit messy, but I'd rather they stay hydrated than worry about a few drops of juice.
Lianne 08:21 AM 01-27-2012
Mine get 3-4oz at lunch time then water at both snacks. I don't serve breakfast
Angelwings36 08:49 AM 01-27-2012
I fixed the milk problem by asking parents to supply the milk. Parent's will bring me however much milk they feel their child needs for the week and I use only the milk they bring. If the child wastes the milk, not my problem, not my penny. If we run out (which rarely happens) the children are offered water only. I do not believe in giving children juice.
wdmmom 08:53 AM 01-27-2012
4 oz is the suggested serving size so that's what my kids get with breakfast and lunch. I serve water with snack unless it's cookies, then we gotta have milk.
itlw8 06:32 PM 01-29-2012
I found if you let them fill the cup with water they LOVE it and drink alot more water. also it does not take long for children to do what all the others do.
Lucy 06:54 PM 01-29-2012
Cute cups, twisted straws, a couple drops of food coloring to make it "look like" juice, ice in the cup, their OWN cup sitting in an assigned spot for whenever they want some. Maybe with names on them?? Does Oriental Trading Company have something like that? Or maybe just use a Sharpie.

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head to make water more appealing.
Tags:milk
Reply Up