Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Food Program Violation, Vent
daycare 03:57 PM 05-31-2011
So I just had a visit from the food program and I got a violation.

As some of you may recall I have kids that sleep and sleep Oh and Sleep.

So as normal one of my DCK gets here at 845 and by 9am is passed out cold in the highchair. The child is 2 we can call him john this child does this daily and will sleep until 3 or 4pm.

John;s paretns dont put him to sleep on time, make him take naps and let him do whatever he wants..Im sure you all know the type.

Well, this child NEVER eats while here because he spends his entire time sleeping. I try to wake them for meals, but he will just scream to want to go back to sleep and back he go....

So why the violation?
I have to report daily my attendance via internet as well as what the children ate while here. Since I log this child in, but have not claimed meals, the food program is aware that the child is going without food and I can't do that. If a child is here they have to be served food.

I don't know what to do...I have tried to tell the parents this cant happen anymore. This child keeps us from ever being able to leave the property and so on. So now what do i do? I can't force a child to eat if they are so tired they need to sleep. Its obvious that the parents are not getting the child the rest they need...

So now what?? ugh
MN Mom 04:03 PM 05-31-2011
I advise you either let this child go, or allow him to sleep during designated nap times. Allowing him to sleep all day is helping to keep him in a pattern of being up all night. It will be rough, as you are the person having to deal with all the crankiness...but in order to regain control of your program, those are the only 2 options I see. You are letting this child dictate what your daily routine will be, and what activities you are able to do with the group. It's best for the group if this child can participate. You either need to make him participate, or let him go.

Harsh, but it's my honest opinion.
daycare 04:08 PM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
I advise you either let this child go, or allow him to sleep during designated nap times. Allowing him to sleep all day is helping to keep him in a pattern of being up all night. It will be rough, as you are the person having to deal with all the crankiness...but in order to regain control of your program, those are the only 2 options I see. You are letting this child dictate what your daily routine will be, and what activities you are able to do with the group. It's best for the group if this child can participate. You either need to make him participate, or let him go.

Harsh, but it's my honest opinion.
No I do agree with you.. I have tried to allow this child to NOT sleep here, but it is HE!! on the group. I tried for about a month and nothing worked. The child would just go to sleep where ever we were at. The child actually fell asleep on teh sidewalk one day...

SO I guess the only other option is to term
Hunni Bee 05:09 PM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
So I just had a visit from the food program and I got a violation.

As some of you may recall I have kids that sleep and sleep Oh and Sleep.

So as normal one of my DCK gets here at 845 and by 9am is passed out cold in the highchair. The child is 2 we can call him john this child does this daily and will sleep until 3 or 4pm.

John;s paretns dont put him to sleep on time, make him take naps and let him do whatever he wants..Im sure you all know the type.

Well, this child NEVER eats while here because he spends his entire time sleeping. I try to wake them for meals, but he will just scream to want to go back to sleep and back he go....

So why the violation?
I have to report daily my attendance via internet as well as what the children ate while here. Since I log this child in, but have not claimed meals, the food program is aware that the child is going without food and I can't do that. If a child is here they have to be served food.

I don't know what to do...I have tried to tell the parents this cant happen anymore. This child keeps us from ever being able to leave the property and so on. So now what do i do? I can't force a child to eat if they are so tired they need to sleep. Its obvious that the parents are not getting the child the rest they need...

So now what?? ugh
I have one like that...he was going to bed at 1 am and getting back up by 6. He'd come in at 7, sleep until maybe 11, wake up for lunch only to fall asleep in his plate and then nap from 12:30 to 4ish, and still be dog tired. He'd skip at least one meal a day, and be so sleepy he didn't want the other ones. He'd nod out while walking ...he wrecked our schedule sometimes too. Sometimes I had to do activities with him slung across my shoulder or laid out across my lap, out cold (he's tiny). His mom helped, and changed her schedule so he could come in later.

Yeah, if the parents aren't going to help, its going to almost impossible to change his sleep patterns just from your end. You may have to term this guy...especially if you're getting in trouble.
countrymom 05:33 PM 05-31-2011
if you are offering him food regardless if he's sleeping then there is nothing you can do.

I think you need to change his schedual. That is crazy. I would never let a child ruin it for everyone else. The minute you see him fall asleep, wash his face with cold water, you need to train him to stay awake. Its going to take a while but you are not going to have a choice.
I would also point out to his parents that you got a violation (don't say food but for sleeping while the lady was at your house) that if he doesn't get on some sort of schedual that you will term him. You need to give his parents 2 options so they feel somewhat in control but make them hard options ones that they need to think about.
daycare 05:46 PM 05-31-2011
I think that this is a great idea. I had wanted to say something when the parents where here at pick up, but didnt get a chance. I have said stuff to them in the past, but they just brush it off.

I will tell them that I am now in jeopardy of losing the food program and that if we do, then they will cause all families to bring their own food or for me to start charging more money, raising the rates.
maudie65 05:53 PM 05-31-2011
all you can do is offer the food while he is sleeping. if he's sleeping in the highchair while you are serving than it will count.

i personally would let the kid go. thats just a ridiculous schedule for a child.
daycare 05:58 PM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by maudie65:
all you can do is offer the food while he is sleeping. if he's sleeping in the highchair while you are serving than it will count.

i personally would let the kid go. thats just a ridiculous schedule for a child.
one of the issues is that he has a sibling here who is great, so if I let him go she goes too..... I think this is why I have been dealing with it for so long.
Abigail 06:05 PM 05-31-2011
I see a few changes. At drop off tomorrow ask the parent when they would be available THIS WEEK to have a meeting. Tell them you need to talk to them about something important and need both parents to come early in the morning or stay late at pickup for 10 minutes.

Secondly, it's a violation to let a child sleep in a high chair here. Not by the food program, but licensing. Children may only sleep in their pnp or designated sleeping bed.

I guess I would have been waking this child up to offer food so I could claim it. They don't need to eat it to be claimed, you just have to offer remember! It does look bad when the child is sleeping in a highchair during a meal time.....if your food program person was concerned seeing a sleeping child in a high chair, you may be reported to licensing. ALWAYS think of the worse scenarios so you're prepared.

I would give the parents handouts on sleeping routines for children. I would discuss with them what they have for an evening routine for bedtime and if they follow a routine. Discuss how routines are important and beneficial for young children. Then bring up your own personal issue with one of your inspectors (find a "professional" name and you don't need to associate the name with food lady because it affects your business either way, you just want the name to sound important). Give the parents two weeks to help their child get on a normal sleep routine or ask for a dr's note with a phone number to call and speak directly with the dr. on why this child MUST sleep at daycare.
meganlavonnesmommy 06:17 PM 05-31-2011
Not sure about the differences from state to state, but for us, we can claim a meal for a child that is in attendence at the time the meal was served, regardless of if they ate it or not.

For instance, I serve breakfast at 8am. Two of the four kids usually eat at home, so never want to eat. I always ask them if they want some breakfast, and they usually say no. So they play, while the others eat. But I still can claim them for the food program for that meal. They were here during the meal, but choose not to eat.

I would think the baby would be the same. If they are sleeping, then you still claim them. They were there during the meal, sleeping or not. Is there someone you can call above the persons head that gave you the violation to make sure they are correct? That doesnt sound right to me.
Unregistered 06:32 PM 05-31-2011
Same home? Whats up with this kid? I agree on Drs note. Check him out, get Mommy and Daddy on a plan to change and wake him up to eat, offer and record. If the kids are in the same home, there may be some other issue....
MN Day Mom 07:16 PM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:
Not sure about the differences from state to state, but for us, we can claim a meal for a child that is in attendence at the time the meal was served, regardless of if they ate it or not.

For instance, I serve breakfast at 8am. Two of the four kids usually eat at home, so never want to eat. I always ask them if they want some breakfast, and they usually say no. So they play, while the others eat. But I still can claim them for the food program for that meal. They were here during the meal, but choose not to eat.

I would think the baby would be the same. If they are sleeping, then you still claim them. They were there during the meal, sleeping or not. Is there someone you can call above the persons head that gave you the violation to make sure they are correct? That doesnt sound right to me.
The food program shouldn't vary state to state as it is Federal mandated. My understanding is the kids need to be sitting with food actually served to them in order to claim them for that meal. They don't have to eat it, but it has to be served, not just offered.
daycare 07:44 PM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I see a few changes. At drop off tomorrow ask the parent when they would be available THIS WEEK to have a meeting. Tell them you need to talk to them about something important and need both parents to come early in the morning or stay late at pickup for 10 minutes.

Secondly, it's a violation to let a child sleep in a high chair here. Not by the food program, but licensing. Children may only sleep in their pnp or designated sleeping bed.

I guess I would have been waking this child up to offer food so I could claim it. They don't need to eat it to be claimed, you just have to offer remember! It does look bad when the child is sleeping in a highchair during a meal time.....if your food program person was concerned seeing a sleeping child in a high chair, you may be reported to licensing. ALWAYS think of the worse scenarios so you're prepared.

I would give the parents handouts on sleeping routines for children. I would discuss with them what they have for an evening routine for bedtime and if they follow a routine. Discuss how routines are important and beneficial for young children. Then bring up your own personal issue with one of your inspectors (find a "professional" name and you don't need to associate the name with food lady because it affects your business either way, you just want the name to sound important). Give the parents two weeks to help their child get on a normal sleep routine or ask for a dr's note with a phone number to call and speak directly with the dr. on why this child MUST sleep at daycare.

the child was not asleep in the highchair, he fell asleep in the highchair within minutes of being here. lol I just read what I posted and I guess it did sound that way. I dont let him sleep in the highchair, but this child will fall asleep anywhere, including the side walk. I do wake the child to get him to eat, but he will just scream until I let him go back to sleep.
I have sent home tons of info on sleep for a child this age, why they need sleep, what will happen if they don't get the right sleep. I have told this family that I need to care for the children as a group and that I cant have him in the house sleeping while I am outside with the children playing. I will not leave this chidl unattended. I have to take the child where we go when we go. .

I was not claiming the food, becuase the child was not eating it. SO i shot myself in the foot, becuase I was offering it like I said, the child just screamed until I let him go back to sleep.
Abigail 07:49 PM 05-31-2011
I would then still schedule a meeting with the parents so they know it's a serious issue now. Other places would be concerned as well for a child who sleeps all day. I would ask them in a short converence if they would write down from when to when he sleeps at home and you will do the same. Write down a few goals: take only two naps at daycare and be able to participate the rest of the day (you), put child to bed at 7:30/8:00 pm with a bedtime route starting earlier (bath, book, cuddle time) and make sure he can stay asleep (them).....maybe this child is afraid of the dark and stays awake scared most of the night?

I hope you can come to a conclusion and give yourself a two week timeline or request a dr's note. If this child cannot participate in your daily activities, the parents should be called daily to pick up their child (and still pay) so they will keep on task with being in partnership with you.
daycare 08:06 PM 05-31-2011
I think your Idea of the two week plan is great. Last week I did my parents pick up because we were teaching class outside all day and I could not be in two places at once.
I will write them up a two week contract with an evaluation at the end. If they can turn this around he can stay otherwise I have to let him go. This child is making the rest of the group miserable.
Tags:food program, vent
Reply Up