Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Huge Inconsistentcy in Napping
Unregistered 12:07 PM 05-07-2018
I have a 20 month old that is extremely inconsistent with naps. I have been putting him down for one nap at 1pm since he was about 14 months. As a baby he wouldn't sleep longer than 20-30 minutes per nap. Since switching to just one nap, he either sleeps 3+ hours, or like today, is still laying awake (it's 2pm now) talking to himself and occasionally screaming out. On days like this, he is awake all of nap time. There is no in between for him. Nighttime sleep, I'm told is very consistent. Same time to bed, same time waking in the morning. He wakes at 6am every morning. That be the case, how can a young child be so extremely inconsistent with napping?
Blackcat31 12:33 PM 05-07-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a 20 month old that is extremely inconsistent with naps. I have been putting him down for one nap at 1pm since he was about 14 months. As a baby he wouldn't sleep longer than 20-30 minutes per nap. Since switching to just one nap, he either sleeps 3+ hours, or like today, is still laying awake (it's 2pm now) talking to himself and occasionally screaming out. On days like this, he is awake all of nap time. There is no in between for him. Nighttime sleep, I'm told is very consistent. Same time to bed, same time waking in the morning. He wakes at 6am every morning. That be the case, how can a young child be so extremely inconsistent with napping?
Not to sound jaded but honestly, I rarely, if ever, take what a parent says about sleep at home as the full truth.

Their truth......sure; but their version of "consistent" is probably vastly different than yours.
Unregistered 12:39 PM 05-07-2018
Haha! I must have his cousin. Mine just fell asleep after an hour of talking with the occasional scream. Friday he never did go to sleep. Mine will be reducing his days soon. I'm putting him down a little later for nap and biding my time. ��
mommyneedsadayoff 12:58 PM 05-07-2018
Does he get dropped off and picked up at the same time every day? If everything is the exact same each day, yet some days he sleeps 3 hours, and some days he sleeps none, then it might just be his schedule. Otherwise, I'm thinking what black cat said. He's probably not sleeping through the night on the days that he sleeps for a long time, or if he gets dropped off late, he may be sleeping in late and in there for not ready for a nap.
Unregistered 06:50 AM 05-08-2018
He does get dropped off and picked up at the same times each day. He is here at 8 and picked up between 4:30-5. His usual wake up time is 6am.
Pestle 07:03 AM 05-08-2018
Yesterday being Monday, I always expect nap schedules to be out the window after a weekend of being on the parents' schedules. I ended up with two different nap sessions to cover the four kids; two started the day by smacking one another, were unceremoniously dumped into separate play yards, and both immediately bowed over, put their foreheads on the mattress, and passed out for an hour and a half.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 07:56 AM 05-08-2018
I have an almost 3 year old who started this. He went from 3 hour naps to suddenly all or nothing naps. It literally just happened all at once. One day normal nap, 3 hours and a hard time waking . The next day NO nap at all. It's been a total crap shoot for about two months now, I have no idea how to predict what it's going to be... but it's always all or nothing.
Miss A 08:24 AM 05-08-2018
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
I have an almost 3 year old who started this. He went from 3 hour naps to suddenly all or nothing naps. It literally just happened all at once. One day normal nap, 3 hours and a hard time waking . The next day NO nap at all. It's been a total crap shoot for about two months now, I have no idea how to predict what it's going to be... but it's always all or nothing.
My 19 month old pulled this. One day he she slept through the night and napped great, the next day he was up multiple times at night and refuses to nap at all.

With a more strict, consistent routine, a switch from crib to big boy bed, and an earlier bed time he is once again sleeping through the night, and had started napping for 45 minutes to 1.5 hours. It was definitely a struggle on my end with lots of tears (both his and mine!) But it paid off!
Unregistered 11:33 AM 05-08-2018
[quote=TheMisplacedMidwestMom;674134]I have an almost 3 year old who started this. He went from 3 hour naps to suddenly all or nothing naps. It literally just happened all at once. One day normal nap, 3 hours and a hard time waking . The next day NO nap at all. It's been a total crap shoot for about two months now, I have no idea how to predict what it's going to be... but it's always all or nothing.[/QUOTE

This exactly! Today I put him down for nap and haven't heard a sound from him! I guess we just be thankful for the days that they do sleep?!
Tags:napping routine, sleeping issues
Reply Up