Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stay Home Or Go Get A Real Job?
lil angels 05:39 AM 02-07-2011
I don't know what to do I need help!! I have really thought about getting a different job when my youngest son goes to school. I have now come across an email there is an opening for a food program lady in my area and I don't know what to do. I Have been trying to weigh the pros and cons. Now I am thinking what if I apply and interview and then IF I even get offered the job try figure it out. I would have to pay for my son to go to daycare for a year then I would have to figure out summer care for two kids and I don't know if the pay would be worth it And I have never had to drop either of my kids of for daycare I have been home with them since they were newborn. I don't hate what I do I am just getting sick of parents crap and it would be nice to have my house back again to not have to worry about having everything clean for monday morn when parents drop off and having to make sure that I get groc here for the week ect. I just don't know what to do!!!
jen 06:02 AM 02-07-2011
I saw that program email as well. I didn't read it very thoroughly, but do you know if it reimbursed for fuel? My thought was that if it didn't, a big portion of the pay would be eaten up by gas and taxes!

My neighbors kids go to YMCA camp/daycare in the summer and they absolutely LOVE it!
AnythingsPossible 06:04 AM 02-07-2011
I considering applying for a food program position here a few years ago. I don't know what area you are in, but here our ladies have to travel 100's of miles because they cover many different areas. If that is the case in your area, you may want to consider your vehicle and if that is something you would want to do. Also, the income isn't great. You don't get paid like a 9 to 5 job. You get paid for field visits and for calls.

My old food program lady and I were talking about it and in a good month she would make around $800.00 and that is with covering 3 regions. To me, it seems like more of a job for someone who wants to work, but doesn't need a high income. My current food program lady is a stay at home mom whose husband works split shifts so when he is home is when she does field visits and the remainder is phone work.

Now it could be different in your area. If you have a close relationship with a member of the food program team, I would consider speaking with them. If it is a position in the office, then it would be totally different.

I didn't go through with applying because the income wasn't high enough, our car is a mild gas guzzler and I didn't want to be doing a lot of over the road travel in the winter.
Cat Herder 06:51 AM 02-07-2011
I am not sure...

I have noticed we have had a different person every year...

Does not sound like the kind of job security I depend on...
lil angels 06:52 AM 02-07-2011
I do know that it is paid by the hr and you are required to turn in your milage I think you get rembersed for it not sure though. I have a 2500 HD pickup right now that I drive so we would have to get a cheap honda or something that doesn't take a lot of gas.
jen 07:04 AM 02-07-2011
I would go ahead and apply for it! The pay scale was pretty wide, if you could get toward the upper end, with mileage reimbursement it might not be too bad! Plus, if you get offered the job you can always turn it down. If you don't even apply, you'll never know!
LindaMJ 11:47 AM 02-07-2011
I agree with Jen. You can always turn it down if you want, but if you don't apply.... That being said, I have struggled numerous times with trying to decide: should I keep doing child care or get a job? I did child care for 5 1/2 years, then quit and went to work for 2 years and towards the end our hours were getting cut back. I loved working there, it was very family friendly. So I am back to child care and have pretty much decided this is where I need to be, especially since I have only one child at home now, who will be turning 13 in a few days, and no spouse. We live in a very small town, I worry about my daughter and what she will do after school most days, what about summer? I am so THANKFUL that I finally found this site (thanks to Tom Copeland). I read a thread from a child care provider about the grass being greener on the other side and it really hit home with me. Wow, this is long. Bottom line is, You gotta do what you gotta do. Good Luck to you.
lvt77 11:56 AM 02-07-2011
do you mind if I ask what your pros and cons are??

I ask myself sometimes why do i do this again when I am having a bad day?? but then I remind myself this:

who else can you spend your day with that will never judge you for any reason?

who will love you at your job no matter what you do or say?

Do you want someone telling you what to do how to do it and when to do it?

Where else can you work that if you dont feel well you can wear your lazy clothes and still be open to make money?

what about when you need that vacation, you will have to get it approved instead of telling people that you are closed becuase you approve your own vacations.

what about the overhead? having to buy work clothes, lunch food, gas for your car, car maintance, daycare for kids, time invested in driving?
and etc.
Live and Learn 01:00 PM 02-07-2011
I think that this is the time of year that I usually get bummed out. My own kids get sick a little, my dc kids get sick a little, I get sick a little and the weather is a little too dreary!....

My advice is...look into the food program job if you think it might be a good fit for you. Variety is the spice of life. You won't know for sure if you don't do anything! Go for it.....you can always apply and turn it down if you change your mind.

Good luck.
Abigail 08:21 PM 02-07-2011
Pretend that you did apply....are you going to feel bad? Probably not. If your heart is making you choose, listen to your heart. You are not on a one-way road, you can always turn around! It's just a matter if you turn around immediately or do this other job for awhile before turning around. This isn't just about child care either, it's about what you want to do while you're here on earth.
lil angels 08:47 AM 02-11-2011
Well I applied for the job I sent in my resume yesterday in the mail and I emailed it in, I figure if they even call I could go check it out and see I don't have to take it even if they offer. I think I would kick myself if I didn't try. But now I have this issue that I have a family leaving in about a week and I have already got two interviews set up do I do the interviews and act like I didn't apply or should I hold off and wait. I would feel horrible if I have to tell them I am quitting. But on the other hand who now's if they will even call me back for an interview.

I did find that you have travel two days a week, and get about half rembursement for your milage. 2 days a week you can work from home and the other you go into the office. That all sounds really good.
lil angels 05:50 AM 02-15-2011
Well they called yesterday and I have an interview on Thursday. OMG OMG
jen 06:30 AM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
Well they called yesterday and I have an interview on Thursday. OMG OMG
AWESOME!!!! It's always good to have a choice!!!
lil angels 04:35 AM 02-18-2011
well I had my interview last night and I think it went really well. They will be doing second round interviews mid march. So now it is a big waiting game. I found out there was 125 apps and I was chosen down to a group of 25 so that is cool. You work at home always and you do your traveling that they reemburse you for. So cool. They said they haven't hired a new food rep in about 7yrs the spot is open because she got a promotion everyone seems to love it there.
jen 06:16 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
well I had my interview last night and I think it went really well. They will be doing second round interviews mid march. So now it is a big waiting game. I found out there was 125 apps and I was chosen down to a group of 25 so that is cool. You work at home always and you do your traveling that they reemburse you for. So cool. They said they haven't hired a new food rep in about 7yrs the spot is open because she got a promotion everyone seems to love it there.
That sounds AWESOME!!! Good luck and keep us posted!!!!
littlemissmuffet 06:43 AM 02-18-2011
Congrats on the interview and being one of the 25 chosen out of 125 apps!

Personally, I couldn't imagine ever doing anything else, ever... EVER again. Haha. My commute to work is a short 10 steps down the stairs, I can choose to "dress up" for work or just wear lounge clothes, I don't have to do my hair or face if I don't feel like it, I am able to get laundry and basic chores done throughout the day I normally couldn't do at a different job, I always get to greet my hubs after work with a hug and kiss (even if I am covered in boogers and slobber, he appreciates it!), I get to start dinner at a reasonable hour and serve it up right at closing time (while my DC moms and dads still have to drive home yet, prep and cook their meals, nevermind serving them!), I never miss out on income due to illness - because unless I am near death I can still look after my kiddos, I have nobody to answer to except myself and five little dudes who I am happy to help raise!
I like to cook and clean, I like looking after my house and my family... and I like looking after kids! I was blessed with a stay at home mom, and if my kiddos can't have that they can at least have the next best thing - ME!

I know some days can be difficult - but what job doesn't have that (and worse)?
Unregistered 06:53 AM 02-18-2011
Congrats on the first interview going well.... the waiting will suck, but it will give you time to really think through things.

My Rep was out this week... she seems to really like her job but she travels a lot... my house is 2.5 hours from her house. While she was here, her kids called her twice. She said one of the downfalls is she has a hard time committing to the kids after school stuff because she is never sure what traffic or weather will be like and if she will make it home in time... With doing daycare we miss a lot of the school stuff too.

I did want to say.... LOL... Daycare is a real job
Michelle 07:05 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Congrats on the first interview going well.... the waiting will suck, but it will give you time to really think through things.

My Rep was out this week... she seems to really like her job but she travels a lot... my house is 2.5 hours from her house. While she was here, her kids called her twice. She said one of the downfalls is she has a hard time committing to the kids after school stuff because she is never sure what traffic or weather will be like and if she will make it home in time... With doing daycare we miss a lot of the school stuff too.

I did want to say.... LOL... Daycare is a real job
I was just about to say that!!!
Daycare IS a real job!!!
We make VERY good money and work very long hours.
lil angels 09:06 AM 02-18-2011
Sorry believe me I know it is a real job I meant out of the house. I found out the travel part of it isn't going to be to horrible it is all within a half hr of my house. And if you have things going on at school or an app you can be done at 2 one day then the next you can work till 6 to make it up which is really nice.
Tags:food program, job change
Reply Up