Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What’s With All The Unregistered Users
countrymom 10:05 AM 12-17-2010
to me, its a bit ridiculous. I can see if you are using your daycare kids names but many of us don't. How do I know that its just not luckers. I think this forum needs to be locked.
Blackcat31 10:10 AM 12-17-2010
join the club....oh wait there is no club; it's open to everyone.

Sorry I couldnt resist being a smart alec...it's Friday and just how I am feeling today!

There is an off-topic area for members only...
laundrymom 10:13 AM 12-17-2010
??? really?
DCMomOf3 10:46 AM 12-17-2010
I know some are new that forget to log in, others are one time posters and that is ok to me. And I've been seeing a lot of normal users logging off to post because they want to stay confidential. I was under the impression that the members only board is for off-topic posts only, or am I wrong?

I have no issue reading or resoponding to posts by unregiestered people. They are still looking for advice or support, aren't they?
dEHmom 10:52 AM 12-17-2010
I'm a newbie still, and a couple times i've posted and didn't realize that i wasn't logged in. oops.
Crystal 11:16 AM 12-17-2010
There is a new forum for members only, that "unregistered" guests cannot view. I recommend using it.
Michael 02:33 PM 12-17-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
There is a new forum for members only, that "unregistered" guests cannot view. I recommend using it.
Non-members can view but not post or engage. The thread is here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7
e.j. 05:30 PM 12-17-2010
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I have no issue reading or resoponding to posts by unregiestered people. They are still looking for advice or support, aren't they?
I feel this way, too. When I first found this website, I felt uncomfortable about joining as a registered member because of an unpleasant experience I had had at another child care website where I had been a long-time member. At the same time, I felt as though I had something worthwhile to add to the conversation so I posted a few replies as unregistered.

I've just recently decided to become a registered member. I really don't enjoy the arguments that sometimes happen here and on other sites so I truly don't want to start a heated discussion about this topic but I am honestly wondering why some members have such a problem with unregistered people posting replies. Although I'm registered now as e.j., no one here knows me any more than they did when I responded to posts as "unregistered". Having visited this site for as long as I have prior to registering, I recognize all of your sign-ons and it's nice to feel a bit of familiarity with you but I don't really know any of you any better than the people who choose to reply as unregistered. My feeling is if I'm concerned enough about something to start a thread seeking help/comments from others, it doesn't matter to me if they are registered members or non-registered members as long as their replies are helpful or offer me another perspective to consider. Just out of curiosity, could I ask why some of you seem feel so strongly about responses from unregistered people?
Former Teacher 06:23 AM 12-18-2010
I, too, will not respond to unregistered users. I think alot of them like to cause friction among regulars with hot topics.

I am so thankful to Michael, the admin, who made a section just for registered members.

There is a thread called something like Buy A Daycare, Rent A Daycare, Sell A Daycare. I don't remember the name. Anyway, it's nothing but unregistered users. It looks like a bunch of robots talking.

I fully respect that people want to "shop before buying" I did that as well. Once I knew I liked the site, I became a member. The worst that can happen is that you don't like the site. You can delete your information and not come back.
dEHmom 06:30 AM 12-18-2010
My take on this is I did register before posting, but when I changed pages I didn't realize I had to RE-login so I did post by accident twice as unregistered.

However I do find that sometimes when you are in desperate need of advice, you google or bing or whatever you use, and finally find something that relates, but most sites you have to register to post a question. So everytime you have a question and you google and get the closest to what you need for information, and you have to register. Any idea how many forums/sites you have to have logins/pws for?

I just think as a registered user, you have the option to choose whether or not to respond to some unregistered users question. I agree some of them just like to come in and stir stuff up.
Former Teacher 06:37 AM 12-18-2010
Originally Posted by Baybee0585:
My take on this is I did register before posting, but when I changed pages I didn't realize I had to RE-login so I did post by accident twice as unregistered.

However I do find that sometimes when you are in desperate need of advice, you google or bing or whatever you use, and finally find something that relates, but most sites you have to register to post a question. So everytime you have a question and you google and get the closest to what you need for information, and you have to register. Any idea how many forums/sites you have to have logins/pws for?

I just think as a registered user, you have the option to choose whether or not to respond to some unregistered users question. I agree some of them just like to come in and stir stuff up.
Right...if you want just some quick advice, I can understand why you wouldn't want to register. I am mainly speaking for the providers and/or parents who are here on a daily (or like me hourly ) basis!
dEHmom 06:39 AM 12-18-2010
I just discovered this site.
As a fairly new daycare provider, I am very interested in different opinions/views/ideas on any and everything.

When I discovered this site, I instantly fell in love. It's a great place! So I registered, clicked the remember me, and set my browser to remember my login/pw.

One day if it ever forgets that info, I might be in trouble. But lets hope it doesn't.
AfterSchoolMom 06:46 AM 12-18-2010
I didn't know that anyone could view the Members Only section. I've said a couple of things in there that are more personal than I'd say otherwise... I really think (for whatever my opinion is worth) that unregistered viewers shouldn't be able to view that section either. Otherwise, there's really no point in it being members only...
Crystal 08:51 AM 12-18-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I didn't know that anyone could view the Members Only section. I've said a couple of things in there that are more personal than I'd say otherwise... I really think (for whatever my opinion is worth) that unregistered viewers shouldn't be able to view that section either. Otherwise, there's really no point in it being members only...
I believe that they cannot view that area. It is for Members only. However, keep in mind that ANYONE can register and then read that section, so I would still be cautious about posting overly personla information.
Michael 09:20 AM 12-18-2010
To view the members only section you have to be logged in. Also, if you ever forget your password the system can email it to you.
countrymom 12:29 PM 12-18-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
I, too, will not respond to unregistered users. I think alot of them like to cause friction among regulars with hot topics.

I am so thankful to Michael, the admin, who made a section just for registered members.

There is a thread called something like Buy A Daycare, Rent A Daycare, Sell A Daycare. I don't remember the name. Anyway, it's nothing but unregistered users. It looks like a bunch of robots talking.

I fully respect that people want to "shop before buying" I did that as well. Once I knew I liked the site, I became a member. The worst that can happen is that you don't like the site. You can delete your information and not come back.
what is with this thread, I have no idea what the thread is about but every once in a while it will pop up. I'm a mod on a family parenting site and we don't allow unregistered users post questions, you have to registered in order to use the anon feature. Also, I think you need to do this, is that if you are not a registered member you should only be allowed to view the home page and if your account is inactive after a year we delete it.
Michael 01:27 PM 12-18-2010
Originally Posted by countrymom:
what is with this thread, I have no idea what the thread is about but every once in a while it will pop up. I'm a mod on a family parenting site and we don't allow unregistered users post questions, you have to registered in order to use the anon feature. Also, I think you need to do this, is that if you are not a registered member you should only be allowed to view the home page and if your account is inactive after a year we delete it.
Daycare.com is a global brand and gets lots of traffic be it American or Nigerian. Many come here to learn, read or partake once or many times.

My position comes more from the visitor standpoint since many are either thinking about starting a daycare or are caregivers that are looking for a simple answer. I know that when I am searching or read something that I want to impart some information, if the program asks for me to register I usually don't. I would have virtually thousands of accounts, all which would have my email and contact information.

Many times when I have that thought/answer in my head about what I want to comment on, the process of registering takes me out of my mindset.

I've set up this forum for what I believe is best for its members, users and “drop ins”.

I appreciate your feedback but have make up my mind a long time ago on this matter.

I did create the Members Only Off Topic thread. There are even options with this program for pass worded threads and fee based threads.

Currently this forum is free, moderated, advertisement free and open to all but spammers.

I would like to thank all the moderators that take the time to clear out the spam and keep this forum organized. We have increased our posts and traffic by 400% in the last few months!

Michael
Admin
Preschool/daycare teacher 07:11 PM 12-18-2010
Personally, I wouldn't register if I was looking for advice and the place that information could be found required me to give an email and other info. I don't want that all over the internet. I visited often after finding this forum before I actually registered. I was really glad I could still get/give advice even as unregistered. After I became comfortable with the site and saw how often I was visiting it, I decided to register. A lot of times I do not log-in because I don't want that extra information to be connected to my regular registered name (where someone could track it and figure out which daycare or provider it is posting). So for me, I'm glad "unregistered" can post also. They have good advice sometimes and are looking for advice, too, just like us. And they can't see any pictures or anything like that, so I'd think they'd be just as "safe" as any registered member.
kendallina 04:51 AM 12-19-2010
Originally Posted by e.j.:
My feeling is if I'm concerned enough about something to start a thread seeking help/comments from others, it doesn't matter to me if they are registered members or non-registered members as long as their replies are helpful or offer me another perspective to consider. Just out of curiosity, could I ask why some of you seem feel so strongly about responses from unregistered people?
I completely agree...I don't understand why some feel so negatively about unregistered users. Most of the drama that I have seen is between registered members who have a true difference of opinion and not unregistered people wanting to start something. And as for the 'Buy/Sell a Daycare' posts, I just don't respond to those.

I also agree with Michael that I am put-off when sites require a registration and I am less likely to post or explore that site further.
melskids 05:07 AM 12-19-2010
i dont think its that big of a deal either.

when someone says something i dont like, i just ignore them, whether they are registered or not
Tags:members only, unregistered
Reply Up