Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interviewing
Francine 03:41 AM 04-05-2010
Do any of you ask for references during an interview? I have a list of references ready if somebody asks me for them but do you ask them?

I know that parents think they are interviewing us but I think we are just as much interviewing them. What do you do if you have an interview and you know that it's not going to work out, how do you handle telling them? I had an interview the last time around and I knew before this kid hit my front porch that there was no way that I was taking them on, I can't remember what I said though.

Have a great day!
gbcc 04:41 AM 04-05-2010
I let parents know that in order to provide the best possible program and friendships, I schedule all my interviews and choose the family that best fits with the personality and activity level of other children in care currently. When I don't choose them I am honest and tell them they seemed very nice and I don't feel any issues need to be addressed with the child, but I don't feel his/her personality will fit in with my other group of children. If they want specifics I will let them know if they were much too hyper, sharing issues ect.
Unregistered 05:24 AM 04-05-2010
I haven't told parents at the interview, but I definitely have had to tell them after a week or so, and it has always been hard. I agree that telling them up front that you are looking for a child who will fit in well with the children you currently have in care lets them know that if it is not a good fit, they will need to find care elsewhere. I like the way you worded that, so I'm keeping that in my holster for next time it comes up.
AfterSchoolMom 06:13 AM 04-05-2010
When I know that a family is coming to me from a previous childcare, I always ask for the name and number of the last childcare provider. If they are offended or hesitant to give you the info, then you already know that they probably won't work out or will be difficult to deal with!
momma2girls 06:19 AM 04-05-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
When I know that a family is coming to me from a previous childcare, I always ask for the name and number of the last childcare provider. If they are offended or hesitant to give you the info, then you already know that they probably won't work out or will be difficult to deal with!
I started doing this as well- I have had some pretty awful families, not paying, being sued, etc. I have found out quite a bit by asking the families, sometimes I do forget though.
GretasLittleFriends 08:17 AM 04-05-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I think that's a great idea. I could have probably save myself a bit of headache from a family I used to have.

As started in another thread, I've been having communication issues. Ironically I was supposed to have an interview on Saturday afternoon around 1pm. The guy and his son never showed up and never called. Unless something drastically tragic happened preventing him from calling me I can already tell they will not be a fit for my daycare and at this point have NO problem in explaining so.
misol 10:49 AM 04-05-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
I let parents know that in order to provide the best possible program and friendships, I schedule all my interviews and choose the family that best fits with the personality and activity level of other children in care currently. When I don't choose them I am honest and tell them they seemed very nice and I don't feel any issues need to be addressed with the child, but I don't feel his/her personality will fit in with my other group of children. If they want specifics I will let them know if they were much too hyper, sharing issues ect.
Thanks! I love this and I can't wait to use it!
grandmom 01:14 PM 04-05-2010
So this is what I do about references.

When a parent asks me if I have references, I pause and say, "yes, do you?" Then I laugh a little and explain that this is a two direction process. While I have references I'm happy to provide, I want them to understand they I am also interviewing them. I have to be able to trust them with my good name in the community. If they have something they need to talk to me about, I want them to talk to me, not their neighbor, or another customer. Then I offer the phone numbers for my references. I've never actually asked for the reference from a parent.
Tags:interviews, references
Reply Up