Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Meal Deduction
Sunchimes 05:19 PM 09-18-2014
I have an infant in care who has just failed a swallow test. From now on, her formula must be thickened with rice cereal. She is on a special medical formula, so I won't be furnishing that. However, I know from previous kids that it is much simpler if I furnish the rice cereal.

I know it isn't a tax deduction in itself, but I'm not sure if it would qualify for the standard meal deduction. She is on formula only, so basically, it is half of each meal.

Edited to add that I am not on the food program.
Childminder 05:30 PM 09-18-2014
It is a tax deduction here if we have parents sign a waiver and serve what they supply.
TomCopeland 07:05 AM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I have an infant in care who has just failed a swallow test. From now on, her formula must be thickened with rice cereal. She is on a special medical formula, so I won't be furnishing that. However, I know from previous kids that it is much simpler if I furnish the rice cereal.

I know it isn't a tax deduction in itself, but I'm not sure if it would qualify for the standard meal deduction. She is on formula only, so basically, it is half of each meal.

Edited to add that I am not on the food program.
Any meals/snacks you serve to infants may be counted as a food expense if you use the standard meal allowance. So, if you serve formula first thing in the morning, it's breakfast. If you serve it after breakfast and before lunch, it's a snack. If you serve it at lunchtime, it's lunch, etc. Or, you can save food receipts for everyone and claim the actual cost of the food.
Sunchimes 09:45 AM 09-19-2014
Just to be clear, I am not furnishing the formula-mom brings a can every week. I mix it and add rice cereal, which I furnish. So since I prepare it and furnish the cereal, I can count it.
TomCopeland 10:55 AM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Just to be clear, I am not furnishing the formula-mom brings a can every week. I mix it and add rice cereal, which I furnish. So since I prepare it and furnish the cereal, I can count it.
Thanks for the clarification, it makes a difference. If you don't provide any of the components of a meal or snack, you can't deduct it. If you provide any component, you can. So, in your case you can deduct it!
Sunchimes 12:06 PM 09-19-2014
Thank you Tom. That's good news.
Reply Up