Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Oops We Totally Forgot"
3kidzmama 09:25 PM 08-15-2011
Dcg (8 months) was still with me at ten minutes until closing time. I call the mom to find out/make sure they are on their way to pick up. Moms response? "oops we totally forgot about her!"

WTH????
familyschoolcare 09:27 PM 08-15-2011
How exactly does that work.
Oneluckymom 11:26 PM 08-15-2011
Was she being sarcastic....I can't believe it. I hope for the sake of the little girl she really was being sarcastic!
countrymom 05:17 AM 08-16-2011
had a family who did this 3 times, and they said the same thing. How the heck do you forget your kid.
Meyou 05:29 AM 08-16-2011
My mom forgot my oldest at daycare one time. I was working 9-6 or 1-10 shifts. On my 1-10's I would get dd during my break, drop her at my parents and go back to work but the 9-6's my mom got her and I picked her up at 615. My daycare closed at 530. Anyway, my mom mixed up two days of my schedule and forgot to get dd. The daycare called me at work at 545 and I rushed to go get her.
mom2many 07:42 AM 08-16-2011
One night it was time to close and no one had come to pick up my last dcb. I called mom and she thought dad was picking up and it turned out he thought she was doing it! Fortunately they made sure they had better communication on who was doing the pick up and this never happened again!
daycare 09:02 AM 08-16-2011
Originally Posted by mom2many:
One night it was time to close and no one had come to pick up my last dcb. I called mom and she thought dad was picking up and it turned out he thought she was doing it! Fortunately they made sure they had better communication on who was doing the pick up and this never happened again!
I have had parents do this a few times.... just bad communication

One time, I was doing a zero carb diet....let me say this really bad idea... your blood sugar gets really low and you get clumpsy and forget all kinds of things. I forgot that my son was at school one day.... I know this sounds really bad, but it did happen. the school office called me and said your kid is still here...He was 10 at the time....I felt so stupid... no more zero carb diets.....lol
Zoe 09:34 AM 08-16-2011
As a daycare parent back in my teaching days, I actually did that too. I felt so bad. I got off work and went back to my house to meet my mother who was visiting. The plan was to get my DD from daycare with my mother in tow and then we were going to go somewhere special.

Well I blame my pregnant brain but I just forgot completely about my DD! It was one of those moments where the lightbulb comes on and you panic, kwim? I called my provider and immediately went to get her. I think I was 10 minutes late, but I felt so awful! My mother and provider though, they were just laughing at me and my pregnant flakiness.

So it does happen sometimes to even the responsible parents. I think if a parent's reaction to forgetting their child is just a casual "oops" then it's bad. But if they're like me and are almost in tears and are RUSHING to come get their baby, I would laugh it off and know that it would never happen again.
MarinaVanessa 09:45 AM 08-16-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
It was one of those moments where the lightbulb comes on and you panic, kwim?
I've had one of these moments with my DD, but it wasn't at DC. I left her at home . My DH would drop her off and pick her up to and from DC because I was going to school in the morning and working in the evenings. Well woudn't you know that he had to go in to work very early one morning (4am) and I was supposed to wake her up, dress her and drop her off at DC that morning. Guess what happened? I was on the road halfway to school when I got that moment of panic when I realized that my DD was home ALONE . I FORGOT HER!! I raced back home and felt like the worst POS ever!! I ran into her room (she was still asleep) and grabbed her and just cried. I never made it to school or work that day . Not my proudest mommy moment.
erinalexmom 10:49 AM 08-16-2011
I left my daughter alone like that once. She was a preschooler and my dh was in the backyard mowing and she was playing well I went to the post office thinking, "dh is in the yard if she needs something." Well, he went to get gas for the mower thinking "her mommy is inside if she needs something" We both pulled in the driveway (me in the car,him on the mower) "oh my gosh we both just neglected our child!" that was scary! Of course she had o idea and each of us were 2 blocks away ad so it was only about 5-10mi but still! Something terrible could have happened! I will NEVER forget that and so I try to be easy on parents if I feel they made an honset mistake. Now if they are just being lazy then we have a whole other issue!
MG&Lsmom 11:01 AM 08-16-2011
It's hard to imagine, and especially for a child you pick up EVERY SINGLE DAY. But it happens. I forgot about getting DD at camp last week. Fortunately, we made it before they sent everyone to after camp care. I have never loaded that many sleeping kids into the van so quickly before!
daycare 11:03 AM 08-16-2011
OMG so nice to hear that I am not the only one who has done this...lol I know it doesnt justify it, lol..........BUT sure does make me feel better that I am not the only one who has done it........
Meyou 11:24 AM 08-16-2011
I had a DCD go to work with his DCK two weeks ago. They were late and I was about to call when he pulled up. He was a little shaky about the "what if's" but thankfully he realized before he got out of the car.
Unregistered 11:31 AM 08-16-2011
And then it's 90 degrees and a child is left, forgotten, in a car...
familyschoolcare 12:10 PM 08-16-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I had a DCD go to work with his DCK two weeks ago. They were late and I was about to call when he pulled up. He was a little shaky about the "what if's" but thankfully he realized before he got out of the car.
The expects say that is a sign of too much stress. However, if DCD was shaky about the situation then maybe he realized the stress he is under if he thought is was funny that would be deference.
JaydensMommy 12:21 PM 08-16-2011
So, I've never actually forgotten my son anywhere, but I did have a bad experience. We had lost a cat, took a trip to the SPCA, went to the car to get flyers set my 2 year old son down on the front passenger seat along with my keys, closed the door and went around to the other side to get the flyers. Well by the time I got to the other side he had managed to push the LOCK Button. I freaked out and tried to tell him how to unlock it, he couldn't figure it out. And it was about 100 degrees outside. I called my husband who was at work. Told me to call onstar, they wouldn't help me because I don't pay for my subscription! So I called the police, they called a tow truck which was taking too long so the officer busted a window and got my baby out. So now I'm really paranoid and NEVER close the doors if my son is in the car. I felt like a horrible mother for a while.
Meyou 01:35 PM 08-16-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
The expects say that is a sign of too much stress. However, if DCD was shaky about the situation then maybe he realized the stress he is under if he thought is was funny that would be deference.
He felt awful! I think it was just a case of "this is the way my car goes". First child, only 8 weeks in care so far and he just went to work on autopilot because the autopilot isn't programmed to come here first yet.
TBird 02:12 PM 08-16-2011
Forgot to pick my two little ones (10 & 7) up from school one Friday. Dance classes had ended for the season and I forgot to tell them to start taking the bus home. Well......if that school secretary didn't look at me like I was DIRT when I picked those kids up....WHOO WHEE!!!

We are very "schedule heavy" so it takes us a day or two to adjust to the end of season transitions. Either way, after that look from the school secretary I'm pasting it to my forehead this school year!!!
Tags:late pickup, parents - irresponsible
Reply Up