Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Did Everyone Do With The Hurricane??
Crazy8 03:15 PM 08-28-2011
I know some might still be getting hit.... check in when you can!!!

We just got power back after 19 hours without. I know that's nothing compared to those who may be without for days but I'll admit it kinda sucked!!

We survived pretty well. Had a ton of water getting thru my back sliding door and found 3 little dripping leaks in the basement (all in the area near that back door) but otherwise our house is ok.
Central NJ has a TON of flooding though, took my DH 4 hours to get to work today - normally a 40 min. drive. I didn't bother going out today - just not worth it. Being a DCP I'm used to being home, LOL, just glad I'm doing it with power tonight!!!
Oneluckymom 03:40 PM 08-28-2011
Glad to hear you made it through LittleDiamonds. Surprised your husband still had to go to work today, you would have thought that they would have let most in the path of the hurricane stay home the day after? Hope everyone else is ok too. Im in Cali but keeping up to date on the news for the east coasters. Hope your leaks are not too bad.
MG&Lsmom 04:49 PM 08-28-2011
Thankfully we are ok here in Central MA. My neighborhood faired pretty well considering. We kept power and satellite all day. I guess many around us are out of power and will be for days. My garden is trashed and I may have lost most of my crop, but no water in the basement and no whole trees in the yard. I'll take it.
VTMom 07:41 AM 08-29-2011
My immediate area got away with minimal damage, but the rest of the state has been devastated. I'm in shock over seeing pictures of my hometown and old stomping grounds underwater. It's really unbelievable.

I hope everyone managed to stay safe!
laundrymom 10:05 AM 08-29-2011
Vtmom, I thought of you today while watching the news. I'm glad you checked in.
MG&Lsmom 10:07 AM 08-29-2011
The pictures coming in from VT are so scary and heartbreaking. Glad you're ok!
e.j. 11:03 AM 08-29-2011
There were trees down here and there in our area but nothing much in our own yard. The tops of two pine trees (about the size of Christmas trees)came down on top of the toys in my play area but we were lucky they didn't damage the toys at all. We lost power for about 4 hours but compared to losing power for 8 days in the middle of winter during the big ice storm a couple of years ago, it was a very minor inconvenience. We're still waiting for our phone lines to be repaired but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it won't take as long for them to fix the lines as it did after the ice storm -- 2 1/2 years!

We skipped craft time today and had an "outdoor day". My son and I picked up branches, sticks and clumps of leaves in the play area all morning while watching the kids play. Still have some drying out to do and a lot of raking left but no real damage and no flooding. Despite a lot of rain, our sump pump never kicked on.

Glad to hear so many others made it through without a problem. Hopefully, others who haven't checked in yet are okay and will get their power back soon.

I've also seen the footage from VT and it's incredible to see! I'm glad you're okay, VTMom.
boysx5 11:25 AM 08-29-2011
we did okay here in MD where I am we never lost power no water and trees didn't come down
Hunni Bee 12:19 PM 08-29-2011
We caught hell here in Virginia. 60% of power is out (though not mine thankfully, but my mother and 90 year old grandmother have not had power since Saturday night). Trees and power lines down...4 deaths statewide.

My center doesn't have power either (which is why I'm on now) and I think I may be the only staff member who has power at their home. They're saying all the power may not be back on til the end of the week
Kaddidle Care 10:37 AM 08-30-2011
We were out of power since 11:00 PM Saturday night. We have well water here so - yeah, like camping. I've always hated camping but at least it was minus the bugs. Power came on at 3:00 AM this morning. YAY!

Thank goodness it was cool out the next 2 days!

We stocked up on essentials so the only thing we had to get more of was ice. Fridge things went in a big cooler and thankfully our neighbor brought home a generator from work and he shared a line which kept our garage freezer running.

So.. lots of branches down, our crawl had very little water and no damage to the house so we are thankful we were not worse off.
melskids 03:31 PM 08-30-2011
upstate NY here....just got our power back on. we are up pretty high on a mountain...so didnt get much damage, but the surrounding towns at lower elevations are pretty much wiped out. the pictures are shocking! i cant even go downstate to see my mom...all the roads are closed through all those towns.
Tags:bad weather, hurricane
Reply Up