Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Use Current DCPs As References?
ritah 05:57 PM 09-13-2011
I have an interview with a potential DCF tomorrow. The baby is now 6 weeks old and would be 12 weeks when care starts. I'm spending some time preparing for the interview and have read some very helpful information on this board, but I have a question about references that I would appreciate some opinions on...

I currently take care of a 6-month-old that I've taken care of for three months. The baby is a joy and the parents are great to work with. I'm sure they would be a good RECENT reference for me. And I would, of course, ask their permission first. But then...I wonder if I should use a current DCP as a reference. I can't quite put my finger on why it doesn't seem like a good idea, but...

Do you use current DCPs as references or only those you've worked with in the past that you're sure will be a good reference?

Thanks for any insights!!
PitterPatter 06:17 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by ritah:
I have an interview with a potential DCF tomorrow. The baby is now 6 weeks old and would be 12 weeks when care starts. I'm spending some time preparing for the interview and have read some very helpful information on this board, but I have a question about references that I would appreciate some opinions on...

I currently take care of a 6-month-old that I've taken care of for three months. The baby is a joy and the parents are great to work with. I'm sure they would be a good RECENT reference for me. And I would, of course, ask their permission first. But then...I wonder if I should use a current DCP as a reference. I can't quite put my finger on why it doesn't seem like a good idea, but...

Do you use current DCPs as references or only those you've worked with in the past that you're sure will be a good reference?

Thanks for any insights!!
I use current. I don't see a difference really. Actually they are more likely to brag you up than a past client simply for brownie points. (been there done that)

Good luck on the interview!
Blackcat31 06:25 PM 09-13-2011
I give 6 names. (all with permission from them)
2 current,
2 who have aged out and
2 who I have termed or they have chosen to leave and find new care.

That way the parents can hear all sides.

If you are always on the up and up and never let the lines between business and home life get blurry, you will always be safe.
mom2many 06:33 PM 09-13-2011
I absolutely use current dcps for references! Most of time, they are the ones that are referring a new family to me. I usually only rely on word of mouth for new clients, so it has always been the norm for me to use them as references.

Past dcps are also beneficial to use as references, b/c they can speak of their own experiences, but I believe it's crucial for a new family to talk to those currently in my care, so they can get a feel for what is going on today and the care their own child is currently receiving.
Abigail 11:41 PM 09-13-2011
If you're like me and just starting you would be unable to give out current or past references....in that case do I give out friend/family numbers? I only kept in contact with one family I rarely babysat for and could ask them to be a reference. I also work with lots of kids at the daycare, but am not comfortable asking my boss if i can use parents as a reference because they never see me interact with their kids either....it's open the door shut the door, LOL. Should I ask my boss to be a reference? Neither of my co-workers use phones to talk so they're out of a game.
JenNJ 06:21 AM 09-14-2011
I give out a lot of names. I have worked in childcare my entire adult life.

1 - nanny family
1 - parent from the preschool I taught at
1 - special ed teacher from the class I taught in
All current families
3 - families who have left my home daycare

The ones who get the most frequent calls are the families who left, my nanny family, and the special ed teacher. I think it is best to show that I can handle myself in almost any situation with kids.
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 09-14-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
If you're like me and just starting you would be unable to give out current or past references....in that case do I give out friend/family numbers? I only kept in contact with one family I rarely babysat for and could ask them to be a reference. I also work with lots of kids at the daycare, but am not comfortable asking my boss if i can use parents as a reference because they never see me interact with their kids either....it's open the door shut the door, LOL. Should I ask my boss to be a reference? Neither of my co-workers use phones to talk so they're out of a game.
In your situation, I would simply ask interviewing parents if they would like personal references in light of the fact that you can offer no past or current clients for them to speak with. Being that you are just starting out, I would think most interviewing families would be understanding of that fact.

If they do want personal references I would give out a couple names of close family and/or friends and even possibly any co-workers who could vouch for your professionalism on the job.
Abigail 09:56 PM 09-14-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
In your situation, I would simply ask interviewing parents if they would like personal references in light of the fact that you can offer no past or current clients for them to speak with. Being that you are just starting out, I would think most interviewing families would be understanding of that fact.

If they do want personal references I would give out a couple names of close family and/or friends and even possibly any co-workers who could vouch for your professionalism on the job.
Yup, I'm writing down a list of people to ask to use as references now.
Tags:references
Reply Up