Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Moving
Unregistered 09:09 PM 01-02-2015
I plan to sell my house and close the end of February and retire. According to my contract I only have to give 2 weeks notice to families. I feel guilty because I have such great long term families. Should I give a month? I'm torn. I don't feel 2 weeks is enough time for them to find a new caregiver.
TheGoodLife 11:41 PM 01-02-2015
I am closing at the end of the month. I require parents to give me 4 weeks, I am required to give 2 weeks- I am giving a full 4 weeks because I feel the same. Plus they can't find a new provider and leave sooner as they are required to give the same 4 weeks as I am giving.
midaycare 10:43 AM 01-03-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I plan to sell my house and close the end of February and retire. According to my contract I only have to give 2 weeks notice to families. I feel guilty because I have such great long term families. Should I give a month? I'm torn. I don't feel 2 weeks is enough time for them to find a new caregiver.
I would give more notice if you can. If you need the money, I'd wait. One or two families might be able to find care right away. Depends on your market. If you don't need the money, why not tell them now?
Buttercup 10:51 AM 01-03-2015
I work at a center, not FCC, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt...but I would do 4 weeks. You don't want to get stuck with a parent who doesn't find care in time and tries to blame it on you. Yes, it wouldn't be your problem if they can't find another provider in time, but then you have the satisfaction of saying "I'm sorry, but you had 4 weeks to find alternative care. That is 2 more weeks than my contract states. I wish you the best, yada yada yada" KWIM? It might be harder to take the blame off of yourself if you only give 2 weeks. JMO, take it or leave it
Babybear911 02:03 PM 06-23-2015
Hi..I have the same problem, but we would be selling our house. I am nervous the second my sale sign goes up the daycare parents all leave and we are out of income before the house sells. we will have to downsize so I can close daycare but it is worth it for me. I have been running daycare for 8 years and I am done. the parents are my issue. if I didn't have to deal with them daily I would run daycare forever! Suggestions on selling and what to day or do???
Heidi 02:57 PM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by Babybear911:
Hi..I have the same problem, but we would be selling our house. I am nervous the second my sale sign goes up the daycare parents all leave and we are out of income before the house sells. we will have to downsize so I can close daycare but it is worth it for me. I have been running daycare for 8 years and I am done. the parents are my issue. if I didn't have to deal with them daily I would run daycare forever! Suggestions on selling and what to day or do???
We had our house on the market several times while I did daycare. This time around, it sold, and we now have a bigger house that is better suited.

I'd just tell them ahead of time, and something like "hey, don't panic if you see a realty sign out front. We're testing the market and seeing what else is out there that might work better. I will let you know in plenty of time if it does sell"
Babybear911 01:47 PM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
We had our house on the market several times while I did daycare. This time around, it sold, and we now have a bigger house that is better suited.

I'd just tell them ahead of time, and something like "hey, don't panic if you see a realty sign out front. We're testing the market and seeing what else is out there that might work better. I will let you know in plenty of time if it does sell"
love it...thanks! Hopefully no one panics! ha ha
safechner 07:56 PM 06-24-2015
Ha! I haven't told my parents about it. We are planning to sell our house within a couple weeks while we are on vacation! We just deposited on a new home that will be built within 8 months. :-) Looking forward to it! I am not sure if I will be opening daycare again in my new home.
Tags:moving
Reply Up