Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>As Crystal Would Say "Wow Just Wow"
nannyde 02:55 PM 12-10-2018
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...on/1114786002/
amberrose3dg 03:30 PM 12-10-2018

Michael 03:47 PM 12-10-2018
While I feel she should have gotten a 5 year prison sentence, if she showed true remorse in her understanding of the consequences of her drug addiction, then I see no greater punishment then her losing her child. If she doesn't stay clean, then she goes to jail for the original charges. Although I think her light sentence won't change her from making bad, dangerous decisions.
nannyde 04:40 PM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by Michael:
While I feel she should have gotten a 5 year prison sentence, if she showed true remorse in her understanding of the consequences of her drug addiction, then I see no greater punishment then her losing her child. If she doesn't stay clean, then she goes to jail for the original charges. Although I think her light sentence won't change her from making bad, dangerous decisions.
I have a hard time with the consequence of her loosing her child being considered as a portion of due punishment.

I don't think a parent should be charged any differently in the death or life altering injury of a child than a total stranger would be if said stranger c omitted the exact same act.

I think this mindset allows parents take dangerous risks with their child with confidence that because they are their child they can.

If this was any other non related caregiver they would be charged with murder. The baby is dead. It shouldn't matter the relationship with the caregiver.

She also had the extra abuse of breastfeeding a baby with coca in and weed in her system. Cocaine passes the placental barrier quickly and weed remains in the fat cells for a long time.

I wonder if she drove under the influence and killed her baby would the fact that she was punished enough with the loss of her child be taken into consideration in her sentencing?

I see this so much with positional asphyxiation. At some point we have to have the same expectation on proper placement in sleep as proper placement in car seats.
Josiegirl 02:07 AM 12-11-2018
Yes, even without the resulting death, that baby having cocaine in her system from a drug addicted mother, is cause enough for her to do jail time, IMO.
Losing a child is definitely a lifelong punishment but what if she's not remorseful? What if she goes on to have more children, only to have the same thing happen? What if....a hundred scenarios? And what if she gets off with a slap on the wrist? As opposed to doing jail time?
When is the government (OR SOMEONE????) going to step in and tell parents it's absolutely NOT okay to let your baby sleep with you, or in a car seat, etc.? Sure, we're all warned about it but then you have parents who feel bad when their child cries, so they're brought into bed to nurse and the parent falls asleep. Denial of such a thing ever happening to them can be deadly, even without cocaine in their system.
amberrose3dg 03:40 AM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I have a hard time with the consequence of her loosing her child being considered as a portion of due punishment.

I don't think a parent should be charged any differently in the death or life altering injury of a child than a total stranger would be if said stranger c omitted the exact same act.

I think this mindset allows parents take dangerous risks with their child with confidence that because they are their child they can.

If this was any other non related caregiver they would be charged with murder. The baby is dead. It shouldn't matter the relationship with the caregiver.

She also had the extra abuse of breastfeeding a baby with coca in and weed in her system. Cocaine passes the placental barrier quickly and weed remains in the fat cells for a long time.

I wonder if she drove under the influence and killed her baby would the fact that she was punished enough with the loss of her child be taken into consideration in her sentencing?

I see this so much with positional asphyxiation. At some point we have to have the same expectation on proper placement in sleep as proper placement in car seats.
If someone else did this they would be in jail a long time. That shouldn't matter. The mom had a duty to protect her child. I'm sorry but drugs are not an excuse. I get tired of hearing about addicts getting a break cause they cannot help it. Start throwing them in jail for the crime they commit which is murder and maybe it will be a wake up call to them to sober up.
Pestle 04:23 AM 12-11-2018
I know a family whose child came from a drug addicted parent. It has changed my perspective on jail time for drug use, because the child thrived when the mom was locked away and couldn't yank her chain during the supervised visits.

However, hard drugs can completely destroy a person's ability to reason. They can completely destroy a parent's ability to prioritize anyone, including their own child, over the next hit. Once they have made that first or willful choice to take the drugs, their ability to act under their own will is drastically diminished. Jail time/prison do not work as a deterrent in those cases. It's like expecting an infant to respond to threats of time out. Thei rdamaged brain simply doesn't work that way any more.
daycarediva 11:04 AM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
If someone else did this they would be in jail a long time. That shouldn't matter. The mom had a duty to protect her child. I'm sorry but drugs are not an excuse. I get tired of hearing about addicts getting a break cause they cannot help it. Start throwing them in jail for the crime they commit which is murder and maybe it will be a wake up call to them to sober up.
This. I am soooo sick of 'drug addiction is a disease' mentality. Drugs have destroyed my family (not immediate, extended). Why? Choice. You don't just wake up addited to heroin, you KNEW the risks and CHOSE to do that.

She murdered her child. Life without the possibility of parole, the end. Let her mourn in prison.
amberrose3dg 11:24 AM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
This. I am soooo sick of 'drug addiction is a disease' mentality. Drugs have destroyed my family (not immediate, extended). Why? Choice. You don't just wake up addited to heroin, you KNEW the risks and CHOSE to do that.

She murdered her child. Life without the possibility of parole, the end. Let her mourn in prison.
This!
I have kids in my care that have moms like this!
One kid is so violent and has issues at school. I do not have those issues here but he is only with me an hour or so a day. His mom is a piece of crap that lost her custody ,dad has him. She gets back unsupervised visits and guess what happens on the very first visit? His glasses are broken and he has bruises all up and down his arms where she grabbed him and assaulted him. I feel bad for these kids that are repeatedly subjected to this walking trash simply because they share DNA!
amberrose3dg 11:26 AM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I know a family whose child came from a drug addicted parent. It has changed my perspective on jail time for drug use, because the child thrived when the mom was locked away and couldn't yank her chain during the supervised visits.

However, hard drugs can completely destroy a person's ability to reason. They can completely destroy a parent's ability to prioritize anyone, including their own child, over the next hit. Once they have made that first or willful choice to take the drugs, their ability to act under their own will is drastically diminished. Jail time/prison do not work as a deterrent in those cases. It's like expecting an infant to respond to threats of time out. Thei rdamaged brain simply doesn't work that way any more.
Well they need to be locked away to protect people from them! Most of the violent crimes you hear about are addicts. They do not get a pass on a crime that a person that isn't on drugs would be convicted of. They usually have nothing left to offer society other then pain and suffering.
Meeko 12:36 PM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I too get tired of the "disease" excuse.

You have no choice in getting a disease. Taking illegal drugs always begins with a choice.
Pestle 01:50 PM 12-11-2018
I agree that drugs are a choice and that drug users are a danger to their nearest and dearest. I'm just arguing that jail time as a deterrent is a nonstarter, because the very people doing drugs are too brain-addled to contrast their desire for drugs with their desire not to be in jail.
mommyneedsadayoff 02:11 PM 12-11-2018
I'm on the fence when it comes to drug addiction. The few people I know who are addicted started on prescription pain pills. The alcoholics started as kids and young teens. There is a lot of choice in life, but I'm not sure it's so black and white when it comes to addiction. That being said, there is always a consequence to life's choices. They were responsible for their baby's death. The consequence should be more than a few years of probation. Whether it's more jail time, or participation in rehabilitation programs, or youth awareness programs, the consequence should be a daily reminder of what happened to their child and how they played a major role in it. I'm not saying they will forget, but if allowed to go back to the the same environment of drug use, their addiction will allow them to forget. Probably until they die from an overdose. It's just sad all the way around.
Ariana 06:33 PM 12-11-2018
Her sentence is based on her actions AFTER the baby died and the circumstances surrounding her death. It was an accident (as in NOT murder as it is legally defined) and she showed remorse by doing CPR and calling 911 immediately. This was a stupid mom who was making stupid decisions because she was a drug addict and her baby paid the price...however laws are set up in such a way to offer possible rehabilitation for people they feel deserve it. They see the work she has done and they feel she has changed.

A paid daycare provider likely would have been charged with manslaughter since you are employed to not take drugs when taking care of kids...therefore it is not deemed an accident under those circumstances.
MomBoss 06:52 AM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Im not sure how I feel about this situation. The difference between the death of a child with a caregiver vs parent is that a caregiver, if legally licensed, has to have training on safe sleep. If a child dies with a caregiver they were being neglegent on purpose. A parent is not required to take classes and therefore may not know better. Also with the cocaine passing into breastmilk. It may be common sense to us, but nobody teaches new parents these things. I definantely believe she should be charged for possesion of drugs/intent to sell. But anything related to her baby, really could have been just an accident...
Just my opinion!!!
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Im not sure how I feel about this situation. The difference between the death of a child with a caregiver vs parent is that a caregiver, if legally licensed, has to have training on safe sleep. If a child dies with a caregiver they were being neglegent on purpose. A parent is not required to take classes and therefore may not know better. Also with the cocaine passing into breastmilk. It may be common sense to us, but nobody teaches new parents these things. I definantely believe she should be charged for possesion of drugs/intent to sell. But anything related to her baby, really could have been just an accident...
Just my opinion!!!
A parent of a toddler that drowned in the family swimming pool a while back was quoted in a news article about it saying "Why didn't anyone tell us about the dangers of pools and toddlers? Why didn't the Pediatrician tell us before we left the hospital?"
MomBoss 08:38 AM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
A parent of a toddler that drowned in the family swimming pool a while back was quoted in a news article about it saying "Why didn't anyone tell us about the dangers of pools and toddlers? Why didn't the Pediatrician tell us before we left the hospital?"
Yes people are really that dumb. Just like the person who put their cat in the microwave to dry them after a bath. Thats why their are warning labels. Do not ingest bleach...oh really.. lol
I just know a lot of people who don’t practice safe sleep and i can only believe it’s because they have not been educated. Unfortunately its not a requirement for being a parent.
amberrose3dg 08:39 AM 12-12-2018
This mom had 2 other children. The not knowing is bs in my opinion. Maybe parents need to take a test to be allowed to have children. I have a different mindset as parents should educate themselves and know what is best for their kids. They should be given the strictest punishment when their actions caused their child to die!
MomBoss 08:41 AM 12-12-2018
This mom had 2 other children. The not knowing is bs in my opinion. Maybe parents need to take a test to be allowed to have children. I have a different mindset as parents should educate themselves and know what is best for their kids. They should be given the strictest punishment when their actions caused their child to die!
I agree to taking a test! Theres a lot of people i feel this way about. Even some of my daycare parents im thinking they really shouldnt have any more kids...
Ariana 09:48 AM 12-12-2018
Yes people really are this dumb! My friend worked at a baby wellness clinic teaching new moms how to take care of their newborns. One mom was feeding her brand new infant yogurt. Had no idea what formula was or that the baby was supposed to get some form of milk.
Ariana 09:51 AM 12-12-2018
Do you think a drug addicted mother has the capacity to think what is best for her child? She only knows what is best for her in that moment. This woman was a nurse so she already knew more than most! Unfortunately it takes a lot to constitute murder.

I agree there should be a test before becoming parents. We did prenatal classes which were a total waste of time and a joke.
amberrose3dg 10:42 AM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Do you think a drug addicted mother has the capacity to think what is best for her child? She only knows what is best for her in that moment. This woman was a nurse so she already knew more than most! Unfortunately it takes a lot to constitute murder.

I agree there should be a test before becoming parents. We did prenatal classes which were a total waste of time and a joke.
Well, she had children and chose to use drugs. She does not get a get out of jail free card cause she is a piece of garbage.
amberrose3dg 10:44 AM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/iowa-fath...apartment-room
This guy got life and rightfully so!
No different letting your baby fall between the crack of the bed to die or leaving in a swing to die. Why does she get a light sentence and he does not?
He is where he needs to be and she probably should be too.
The mom hasn't gone on trial yet and wouldn't be surprised if she gets a lighter sentence.
Tags:article, death at daycare
Reply Up