Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fleas
awestbrook713 07:21 AM 09-19-2011
Okay first off I have no animals in my home. I never saw a flea in my home until I started watching other kids. I am pretty sure almost 100% sure who the culprit is because she brings her blanky and they have a kitten. I was just cleaning up a booboo that she picked the scab for and saw something in her hair. It was a flea . I feel so bad, I have taken it upon myself to set off bug bombs in my home to try to keep the problem at a minumum but I have a 7 month old that is crawling and spends a lot of time on the floor and in all honesty it skeeves me out. I have been itching up a storm since I found it. Now for my question, do I mention it to mom and ask her if she has the same problem or just shut my mouth deal with it and keep up my home maintenance.
KEG123 08:07 AM 09-19-2011
I'd totally mention you found a flea in her dd's hair.
momofthree 08:07 AM 09-19-2011
Have you noticed that the little girl has bites on her. Yes I think you should mention it to mom and then stop mom from bringing bags, blankets and so on from home.
Meyou 08:15 AM 09-19-2011
Originally Posted by momofthree:
Have you noticed that the little girl has bites on her. Yes I think you should mention it to mom and then stop mom from bringing bags, blankets and so on from home.
This and I would change her clothes when she arrived as well until I hadn't seen a flea for a while.
awestbrook713 09:44 AM 09-19-2011
yes I do see flea bites on her here and there. What is an appropriate way to mention this to mom with out her getting defensive?
morgan24 09:56 AM 09-19-2011
I had a dcg bring fleas into my home last year about this time. She was covered in bites that she kept itching and picking at. I asked dcm if she knew that she had a bunch of bites on her back and legs and she told me their cat had fleas and they were biting dcg. Not to long after that my dog had fleas. I got them taken care of right away.

I would start by mentioning the bites and then tell her she had a flea on her and see where it goes from there. I would bet that dcm already knows since she has bites.
wdmmom 10:06 AM 09-19-2011
As a parent, I don't understand why defenses take over instantly!

I'm a mother to 4 and I'm pulled and tugged here, there and everywhere in a day. I don't always have time to "notice". I think I would be grateful (and a little embarrassed) if my provider told me but I'd be thankful to know and take the necessary action than to have it go untreated.
Sugar Magnolia 10:06 AM 09-19-2011
Fleas are horrendous here in FL. There is one, and only one product that works. It is Raid Advanced flea spray. You have to look for the one that says it kills eggs and fleas. Its in a purple can. Bombs don't work. You have to spray on your carpets and RESPRAY every week. You have to do it when no DCK's are around, it must fully dry. Its nasty stuff, once you feel you have killed the fleas, you should shampoo the carpets. I would tell the mom. If she doesn't kill them at home, the cycle will continue. Horrible! I feel for you. FL is flea central station. And mosquitos. And roaches (aka "the FL State Bird), the massive flying Palmetto roaches.
awestbrook713 10:39 AM 09-19-2011
I guess I will just mention to mom that I found the flea and see how she reacts. My family and I are leaving for vacation friday afternoon after I am done with daycare and planned on setting off a bomb, I hate setting anything off in my house. We are coming back tuesday and I had just bought carpet shampoo because I figured a week with out daycare would be a good week to do it. I will look for the raid in a purple can, my only concern is what to do with my 7 month old son since he spends a lot of time on my floor, I could hold him more and he would be in 7th heaven and also the swing, jumperoo etc but he does like to get down and crawl around. I guess I could spray that instead when we leave friday and clean the floors tuesday when we get back. Thanks for the advice everyone.
MN Mom 10:55 AM 09-19-2011
Have you thought about using a local extermination agency? Not a national one like Orkin, but local. My dog had fleas this spring (which is odd for MN) so I treated her, and had an exterminator come with a 6 month protection guarantee for $75. The stuff they use now is safe once dry for both pets and humans.
Tags:fleas
Reply Up