Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Climbing Out of PNP
Oneluckymom 04:38 PM 07-16-2013
My 20 mo old DCG has started climbing out
Of her PNP. I am looking for advice on what to do. I feel she is still not ready for a cot and she is my MOST Difficult DCK. Any advice?
tenderhearts 05:07 PM 07-16-2013
I had the exact same issue with a now 3 year old dcg. When she was about the same age she started getting out of the PNP, it scared me to death, after the second time I had no choice but to put her on a floor mat. It was NOT an easy transition. I had to place her in a room by herself for about 6 mo. I then tried to put her back in the room with the kids and it was hit and miss for awhile, some days she would do good others she wouldn't. Finally she understood (bribery) that if she was good in there she would be a special treat (which I use chocolate coins). Finally she has been in there since and rewards arent forever, I weaned it out after consistent about a month.
Heidi 05:42 PM 07-16-2013
same issue here last month. I got out one of my sleep sacks, put it on backwards, and the situation is taken care of for now. My little guy has not tried it with the sleep sack on.

At 20 months, he is not ready for a nap mat either.
jenn 05:46 PM 07-16-2013
I start transitioning mine to cots or mats beginning at 12 months and they are all out of PNP's by 18 months so I have no suggestions based on experience, but the backward sleep sack sounds like a good idea.
Oneluckymom 06:34 PM 07-16-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
same issue here last month. I got out one of my sleep sacks, put it on backwards, and the situation is taken care of for now. My little guy has not tried it with the sleep sack on.

At 20 months, he is not ready for a nap mat either.
This is a great idea, thanks!! I'm more concerned about her falling and getting hurt....although she seems to have it down to a science...lol !
Lucy 07:22 PM 07-16-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
My 20 mo old DCG has started climbing out
Of her PNP. I am looking for advice on what to do. I feel she is still not ready for a cot and she is my MOST Difficult DCK. Any advice?
Can you temporarily put her PNP in the room where you are during nap time (whether that be in your living room, or kitchen doing dishes, etc.) and whenever she starts to look like she's making moves to climb out, just get a stern voice and say "UH-UH", or "NO!", or something like that. It may take awhile, but just do the exact same word in the exact same low, stern tone. And don't say ANYTHING else but THAT word.

Doesn't have to be IN the room, just where you can see her start to make her moves. Sounds like a hassle, but I bet that would fix it. Eventually, LOL.
Kym2098 07:35 PM 07-16-2013
This happened to me a couple weeks back with my 22mo DCB. He's only done it 2-3 times and not again since. I have told him very sternly no each time and laid him back down it happened and that's worked for now... I think it's all about being in control being stern and laying them back down and as they say on here wash, rinse, repeat!

Or there's the sleep sack...
crazydaycarelady 07:45 PM 07-16-2013
Can someone post a link to the sleep sacs they use? I see some Halo brand sacs at online at Walmart but the sizes are S, M, L, XL. That's it, it doesn't say how big a child each size is for.

I had a child do this also but would NOT stay on a napmat. I ended up putting her in a room that had blackout shades and was completely dark. She stayed on her mat after that since she couldn't see a thing.
cheerfuldom 08:35 PM 07-16-2013
I used these for awhile. very handy if you have a kid that is taking their diaper off. stick this on backwards over their clothing. i have only ever had one kid get out of that.....I have no idea how! but i put a sweatshirt over the backwards sack and she could not get out of that. you can also use for a kid climbing out of a pnp. they cant get their leg up and over the side to climb out. never had a kid outsmart the sack! http://www.target.com/p/halo-big-kid...FY87Mgod6xMALw
Heidi 05:25 AM 07-17-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Can someone post a link to the sleep sacs they use? I see some Halo brand sacs at online at Walmart but the sizes are S, M, L, XL. That's it, it doesn't say how big a child each size is for.

I had a child do this also but would NOT stay on a napmat. I ended up putting her in a room that had blackout shades and was completely dark. She stayed on her mat after that since she couldn't see a thing.
My sister ended up sewing me a couple. I had the same problem with the Halo ones...
Familycare71 05:26 AM 07-17-2013
LOVE!!! Thank you!!!
LaLa1923 05:48 AM 07-17-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
My sister ended up sewing me a couple. I had the same problem with the Halo ones...
You can look on the halo website for the weight recommendations. I have some and they are very large.
LaLa1923 05:51 AM 07-17-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
I start transitioning mine to cots or mats beginning at 12 months and they are all out of PNP's by 18 months so I have no suggestions based on experience, but the backward sleep sack sounds like a good idea.
Same here! I thought maybethey weren't ready either but they would bang the pnp against the wall or try and get out. To me if they can do either of these they are ready to get out.

I have had no issues with putting them in their sleeping bags.

Turns out I think I was the one that wasn't ready!!
Heidi 06:13 AM 07-17-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
Same here! I thought maybethey weren't ready either but they would bang the pnp against the wall or try and get out. To me if they can do either of these they are ready to get out.

I have had no issues with putting them in their sleeping bags.

Turns out I think I was the one that wasn't ready!!
My little guy is absolutely NOT ready. His mother moved him to a toddler bed at home, and he's now sleeping only 7 hours at night (down from 11). Battle to get him to bed, and he's up at the crack of dawn. Needless to say, we are having some behavioral issues here.

If I had a big daycare room that I could darken and everyone slept in there, maybe. But, I have separate rooms for everyone and my main living room is open concept and without curtains. He could not be trusted alone anywhere.
wdmmom 08:11 AM 07-17-2013
The way I see it, you have 2 options, buy a large sleep sack to put him in at nap time preventing him from swinging his leg over the top of the railing

or

Put a cot or mat in a playard and let him start sleeping in there. My playard is about 4 inches taller than the depth of the pack n plays.
crazydaycarelady 08:45 AM 07-17-2013
Thanks! I ordered a couple of the XL Halo ones, they'll be here in a week! Won't my little climbers be surprised when I foil their plans.
Play Care 09:02 AM 07-17-2013
I would totally try the sleep sack before I transitioned to a cot. I've had some really strong willed kids in my care the last couple of years and they were not ready for a mat/cot until they were closer to 3! I don't mind sitting with the child until they fall asleep, but it became a game (let's see how many times she has me lay back down!) and we went from 3 hour naps to not sleeping at all
Heidi 10:48 AM 07-17-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Thanks! I ordered a couple of the XL Halo ones, they'll be here in a week! Won't my little climbers be surprised when I foil their plans.
ok...when you introduce them, it's all whoo hooo look what I got for you!

My little guy LOVES getting his on. He giggles! At home, his mom has to wrestle him into it.
Oneluckymom 12:30 PM 07-17-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
The way I see it, you have 2 options, buy a large sleep sack to put him in at nap time preventing him from swinging his leg over the top of the railing

or

Put a cot or mat in a playard and let him start sleeping in there. My playard is about 4 inches taller than the depth of the pack n plays.

This is a great idea too...thanks. This never crossed my mind.
Oneluckymom 12:32 PM 07-17-2013
I'm ordering the halo sleep sacks and trying this first. She is 20 months but wearing 12 months clothes....VERY petite. She small but mighty...lol.
slpender 01:09 PM 07-17-2013
When they start doing that here I move them onto a nap mat and put the play yard around the mat. This still keeps them from wondering and walking others but gets the use to the mat. I have never had one climb out of the play yard yet.
mrsnj 04:26 PM 07-17-2013
You guys are awesome! I love the sack idea. I have two strippers thàt also climb. Awesome idea!!! I took the backwards sleeper idea and modified with a jacket zipped on backwards since its summer and I can't find sleepers. So far so good. I am thinking I might just go for the sack! Stop her plans of excape AND undress all in one sweep! Whoop whoop!!
Tags:pack n play, pnp
Reply Up