Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Family Comes To Visit???
jgcp 11:46 PM 03-13-2014
I'm the only family near my grandparens so naturally siblings aunts cousins stay here. Never was an issue before but now that I'm running a business, and childcare out of my home its so much harder and sadly I don't want extra bodies in my home haha. Plus they don't respect the new rules/schedule in place to keep my dcks safe. Does anyone have rules set in place for their families??
Unregistered 12:03 AM 03-14-2014
Send them a copy of your policy. Tell them if it's part of licensing to have a policy & it must be followed by everyone who enters.
Play Care 03:07 AM 03-14-2014
I found that I had to be firm with my family in the beginning because they assumed I was simply home and babysitting a couple of kids so I could be their "bored at work" call or their "look this up" call." I see nothing wrong with saying to your family "We've loved being able to host you all, however now that I am a licensed day care, I can no longer have family visitors during my work week as it's against state regulations. My licensor pops in every couple of weeks unannounced and I don't want to be in violation."
Good luck!
childcaremom 03:40 AM 03-14-2014
I am legally unliscensed but still don't want family here while I am working. They know I do daycare but don't understand that I can't sit and chat all day.

I arrange my vacations around their visits so that I can actually visit and relax.
KidGrind 04:00 AM 03-14-2014
My family members are really great about my childcare business during extended visits. They understand what I do and behave accordingly.

In fairness I grew up working in family business. Also, I tell all the visitors my situation, my requirements and ask if they can meet them. Everyone knows the deal when they enter my home.

I also have a designated area for childcare only.
Margarete 08:52 AM 03-14-2014
Let them know in order to stay at your home they and their children MUST respect the rules/ schedules... or you will not be able to provide them a place to stay, and may need to get a hotel room. You look forward to seeing them, but because of your business this is the way it has to be.
Spell out what is expected and be sure to reiterate anything you think may be a problem. This isn't personal, it's just the only way you will be able to give them accommodations. Regardless you are looking forward to see them, and are excited to spend time with them on your time off
Cat Herder 08:59 AM 03-14-2014
Originally Posted by jgcp:
Does anyone have rules set in place for their families??
I am happy if they come visit for dinner any night, I will gladly pick them up in front of their hotel.

I have to pay out of pocket for a criminal records check for every adult in my home during daycare hours. My view is they are grown and can take responsibility for their own travel arrangements.
jgcp 12:41 AM 03-15-2014
I have to pay out of pocket for a criminal records check for every adult in my home during daycare hours..[/quote]

This is perfect and will definitely defer them from wanting to stay hehe!! My oldest sister is the worst and thinks she is a princess and actually expects me to wait on her!?!? Oh are you paying for me to watch you too my rate is 25 a day, pay up sis lolol. Then the other sister brings her horrible daughter and it all goes to s#%t. Then they wonder why I'm so angry and crazy..... I'm posting rules in the guest bedroom !1. Be out of the house by 7am when I open and don't come back till 530. 2. Don't leave any belongings out or in the bathroom and 3. Don't tell me how to run my business or how to handle these children. Thanks for all the input !! It empowers me
Tags:house guest, visits
Reply Up