Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Has Anyone Dropped Food Program Due To Kid Care?
Josiegirl 10:12 AM 02-16-2017
They're going to make us switch this year(I think more towards late summer/early fall). I have zero desire to even try the new program. Everything I've read on here sounds like more problems than it's worth.
Or am I just being a stubborn baby about it? Admittedly, I hate change. The checks are nice but.....
daycare 10:14 AM 02-16-2017
I almost did because I couldn't claim daily at first and they were blocking us out every day from being able to go back. at midnight every night they cut you off from being able to enter any information.
daycare 10:18 AM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
I almost did because I couldn't claim daily at first and they were blocking us out every day from being able to go back. at midnight every night they cut you off from being able to enter any information.
I HAVE A mac and they were not ready to go and compatible but yet still expected me to claim daily and would not let me go back to fix anything. I have lost thousands because of this stupid program
Leigh 10:21 AM 02-16-2017
Are they still doing this? I am still using Minute Menu, though I COULD be using KK. I just haven't made the switch yet.
daycare 10:26 AM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Are they still doing this? I am still using Minute Menu, though I COULD be using KK. I just haven't made the switch yet.
it all depends on your agency. my agency is the one who decides to lock us out.
Mom2Two 10:30 AM 02-16-2017
Oh, wow, that hasn't hit us yet. The first I've heard of Kidcare is on this forum. Not looking forward to it from what I've heard here!
Leigh 10:32 AM 02-16-2017
it all depends on your agency. my agency is the one who decides to lock us out.
I never enter mine daily-I enter once, sometimes twice, a month. I'd not be able to participate if I had to do it daily. I just don't have it in me to deal with that every day. I write my meals on my sign in/out sheet and do it when I feel like I WANT to waste a few hours.
LysesKids 10:34 AM 02-16-2017
I HAVE A mac and they were not ready to go and compatible but yet still expected me to claim daily and would not let me go back to fix anything. I have lost thousands because of this stupid program
Yep I dropped the program within the first 2 months because they didn't want to allow me to turn in paperwork they wanted me to find a Windows computer to do it online; sorry, not happening, I have a Mac & have for years, not getting a new laptop because your program can't work with my system
Gemma 10:35 AM 02-16-2017
Switching to kk was bad at first, my biggest complaints were their site being down a lot, and the messages were written in such a weird way it was hard to figure them out, but it has worked fine for a while....then again I only enter the the food for the day, I don't use kk for anything else
Controlled Chaos 11:42 AM 02-16-2017
I just switched from minute menu to kid care. It's fine. I like that I can use a browser other than internet explorer so that's cool.
Gemma 02:37 PM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I like that I can use a browser other than internet explorer so that's cool.
Big plus, I could I forget..
sharlan 03:44 PM 02-16-2017
I have make the switch in Sept, we'll see how it goes.

I now have to claim daily which I hate. I'll be just about to fall asleep and remember that I forgot to do it. I lost 5 days last month and 2 so far this month.
Mom2Two 03:47 PM 02-16-2017
Okay, now can someone explain what Kid Kare is? I am able to use minutemenu pro on Chrome and that's what I use. Are the feds making us switch to some badly designed software or something?

Sorry, I guess I haven't paid enough attention to the issue other than vaguely noticing that people are complaining about it.

If we end up having to switch, does it work on an ipad?
MarinaVanessa 04:12 PM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Okay, now can someone explain what Kid Kare is? I am able to use minutemenu pro on Chrome and that's what I use. Are the feds making us switch to some badly designed software or something?

Sorry, I guess I haven't paid enough attention to the issue other than vaguely noticing that people are complaining about it.

If we end up having to switch, does it work on an ipad?
Am I missing something? For me Minute Menu is program that needs the internet to connect. You don't use a browser to use it, just a connection to the internet. I have an icon on my desktop just like any other installed program.

KidKare you can use on any browser (Internet Explorer, Chrome etc) so that's useful because you can use it on your phone browser.

I didn't realize that it wouldn't work on a mac computer. I don't own one so I guess I just automatically assumes that any web site could be opened on either a mac or a pc. I'm fascinated!

On another note ... our local food programs have always forced us to enter our meals daily and also have a midnight cut-off. I always seemed to forget to enter some meals (at least twice a week) and it's one of the reasons that I hesitate to re-enlist in the food program .

As far as KidKare goes I actually initially thought (and still do think) that it's a good program. It just had a lot of unanticipated issues. KidKare is an updated program created by the makers of Minute Menu meant to replace Minute Menu. The food program is making changes to it's program so the makers of Minute Menu made KidKare to include the changes that the food program is making.
midaycare 06:54 PM 02-16-2017
I do all of my food program menus by hand. I write everyone's name, attendance, and meal components in ink each month, on forns provided by the food program. They have to provide this option for people who are having Internet issues.

MM and the CACFP spent about 16 hours trying to get me "online", but it never worked. *Shrug*

Hand writing it is a huge pita, but for those of you who actually make a decent amount from CACFP by being Tier 1 (not me), it's well worth it.
Gemma 04:10 AM 02-17-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I do all of my food program menus by hand. I write everyone's name, attendance, and meal components in ink each month, on forns provided by the food program. They have to provide this option for people who are having Internet issues.

MM and the CACFP spent about 16 hours trying to get me "online", but it never worked. *Shrug*

Hand writing it is a huge pita, but for those of you who actually make a decent amount from CACFP by being Tier 1 (not me), it's well worth it.
I'm sorry for you, I've been there I know how stressful those forms can be, at the end of the day when you're tired and confused
...unlike you, I didn't want to go online!
I hated the paperwork because no matter how careful I was there always seemed to be a problem (dots not dark enough etc..) but I hated being forced online even more. I was about to drop the whole FP but decided to give the online claiming a try first....sooooo much easier!!!!

Any chance that you'll get fast internet up there some day?
Blackcat31 05:13 AM 02-17-2017
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Am I missing something? For me Minute Menu is program that needs the internet to connect. You don't use a browser to use it, just a connection to the internet. I have an icon on my desktop just like any other installed program.

KidKare you can use on any browser (Internet Explorer, Chrome etc) so that's useful because you can use it on your phone browser.

I didn't realize that it wouldn't work on a mac computer. I don't own one so I guess I just automatically assumes that any web site could be opened on either a mac or a pc. I'm fascinated!
Minute Menu is a Windows based software program which means it works only on a Windows computer not on a Mac
It has nothing really to do with your browser.

Think VHS to Beta Both do the same thing but you can't put a VHS tape into a Beta player. Or Samsung (android) to i-Phone (Apple) You have to buy android apps if you have a Samsung and you have to go to Apple for i-Phone compatible apps.

You can however, buy software that DOES allow you to use MMK on Mac but from what I've heard not everyone has success doing so.

KidKare is apparently suppose to work on ALL platforms (Windows based and Mac) without needing additional software programs. It's also suppose to work on tables and mobile phones. HTH

Everyone will HAVE to make the move to KidKare by October 2017 when the new CACFP changes/guidelines take effect.

As for claiming meals, I do mine electronically and do it much like Leigh. I keep documentation but I don't always enter it on-line until I am actually ready to submit it. I have paper back up for attendance and meals for when my rep comes but I don't enter anything until I either remember to or I am ready to submit my claim for the month.
midaycare 05:14 AM 02-17-2017
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I'm sorry for you, I've been there I know how stressful those forms can be, at the end of the day when you're tired and confused
...unlike you, I didn't want to go online!
I hated the paperwork because no matter how careful I was there always seemed to be a problem (dots not dark enough etc..) but I hated being forced online even more. I was about to drop the whole FP but decided to give the online claiming a try first....sooooo much easier!!!!

Any chance that you'll get fast internet up there some day?
My internet is actually perfect. It's an issue on their end with registering me properly. It's really ridiculous!!

There's another provider with my same first and last name in my county and it causes issues.
Lovisa 05:52 AM 02-17-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Everyone will HAVE to make the move to KidKare by October 2017 when the new CACFP changes/guidelines take effect.
Quick question....Will MMK no longer be there AT ALL once fall comes around, or will only those on the food program have to migrate over? I am not on the food program but I do use MMK for all of my expenses and attendance.
daycare 06:27 AM 02-17-2017
Originally Posted by Lovisa:
Quick question....Will MMK no longer be there AT ALL once fall comes around, or will only those on the food program have to migrate over? I am not on the food program but I do use MMK for all of my expenses and attendance.
MMK will no longer be available. I already don't have access to MMK
Annalee 06:45 AM 02-17-2017
The FP I am on is requiring providers to use KidKare....many rules are changing regarding new kid enrollment along with many changes by October 2017. I am beginning in March with KidKare.....have been using paper up to this point. The FP staff are very helpful with what they know but sadly don't know much since these changes are federal/state related. Going to be an interesting journey to say the least!
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 02-17-2017
Originally Posted by Lovisa:
MMK will morph into KidKare

http://www.minutemenu.com/web/mmkids.html
MyAngels 07:17 AM 02-17-2017
I don't know if this has been addressed in any of the posts here about KidKare, but it's my understanding that it was designed to work well on phones and tablets. I actually find it easier to use on my phone.

I really didn't care for it at first, but it seems to have gotten less buggy lately. I only use it for FP claiming, and would never use it for it's accounting features.

I don't give up what basically amounts to free money easily, so no, I would never quit the FP just because of KidKare.
midaycare 07:37 AM 02-17-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
MMK will morph into KidKare

Are you sure? MM told me I could finish out the year. After that, I will just use QuickBooks.
Blackcat31 08:01 AM 02-17-2017
Are you sure? MM told me I could finish out the year. After that, I will just use QuickBooks.
That is what I've been told. I am sure you can finish out the year but the software will change.

Their website says:
"Subscriptions to Minute Menu Kids PRO will continue in KidKare. Once the subscription expires, continue using the Accounting Features in KidKare for $8/month."

https://help.kidkare.com/help/pro-subscription

On the MMK site it says:
"Minute Menu Kids Pro is now KidKare!"

Mom2Two 02:22 PM 02-17-2017
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Yes, you are right. Moment of confusion. Icon for me too. I just don't have an apple products other than an Ipad, which doesn't use Chrome. I was just getting mixed up.
Mom2Two 05:05 PM 02-17-2017
I currently just use MM pro to submit food claims and to track hours, which is useful at tax time (I use DD's hours to know how many hours I had kids in care). But I use Quickbooks to invoice my parents, since I don't charge on sick days etc.

Is that what you do?

So it sounds like when the time comes to renew MM pro that I'll be switched to Kidcare. But does it have to be $8 per month? That comes out to a lot more than I paid before.
midaycare 05:13 PM 02-17-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I currently just use MM pro to submit food claims and to track hours, which is useful at tax time (I use DD's hours to know how many hours I had kids in care). But I use Quickbooks to invoice my parents, since I don't charge on sick days etc.

Is that what you do?

So it sounds like when the time comes to renew MM pro that I'll be switched to Kidcare. But does it have to be $8 per month? That comes out to a lot more than I paid before.
I invoice everything on Brightwheel and have been using MM to track expenses and time. But it's not very useful beyond that. I could track and expenses in QB.
hwichlaz 07:48 AM 02-22-2017
I loved minute menu, and used it on my desktop windows computer, my iphone, and my ipad because there was an app that you could download. I'd pick kids up from school and with one button/touch check them in for the day etc. I HATE that kidkare is only browser based. Because out data here is spotty and having to open my browser window on my phone and then use my password to log in each time makes it not worth bothering with my phone or my ipad when I'm out.

I want my app back!!!!
Tags:accounting options, accounting software, food program software, kid kare issues, kidkare, mmk
Reply Up