Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anti-Bias Holiday Policy
MrsYoung 12:46 PM 11-04-2020
Does anyone have a holiday policy? Or an anti-bias policy? My center is looking to write a policy for families and teachers to ensure we are being anti-bias when celebrating different cultures. Would anyone be willing/able to share with me what guidance you give your staff and families on the topic of cultural celebrations? Thanks!
Cat Herder 01:05 PM 11-04-2020
There are a lot of them available free online since most have to come up with one for QRIS ratings.

"We aim to provide an inclusive environment for all children, families and Educators, acknowledging the uniqueness of everyone regardless of their additional needs and abilities, race, gender, sexuality, religion, culture, physical and mental abilities and socio-economic background. This policy ensures all children, families, Educators and staff are welcome, treated equitably and with respect."

For ratings they want you to say "neutral" .

"What’s the best way to maintain an anti-bias curriculum during the holiday season? For Laura Salter, Center Director of Signal Peak Early Learning Center at the Central Arizona College campus in Coolidge, the answer is to maintain a “policy of neutrality.”

"Not only does this policy address holidays based on a particular religion, it means no birthday celebrations, Halloween costume parades, Valentine exchanges or Thanksgiving feasts. Salter believes that staying neutral is the best way to truly follow an anti-bias curriculum based on developmentally appropriate practices. She shares her thoughts on why she believes this approach is the best way to fully include everyone — all year round." - https://www.azaeyc.org/anti-bias-ear...tion-holidays/
coloradoprovider 12:11 PM 11-08-2020
I don't worry about celebrating my religious holidays as the family's are informed as to my religious convictions at the interview. I have the luxury of being a "family" childcare provider. If I have to worry about being neutral in my own home, then it'll be time to retire!
dolores 10:32 AM 11-09-2020
I don't have a holiday/anti-bias policy.

However, parents complete a questionnaire at enrollment that asks for their holidays, traditions and how they celebrate. This feedback guides us on what we touch on during the year.

We also have heritage week where families send food and items from their culture (will be skipping this part due to covid) and, if they wish to, dress their child in cultural clothing.

This approach has gone over well with our families over the years.
lblanke 02:13 AM 11-14-2020
My child’s school calls their parties Fall Party (Halloween or Thanksgiving) Winter Party (Christmas) and Spring Party (Easter). Seasons belong to everyone. You could also do a summer party if year round.
Ariana 05:58 PM 11-17-2020
I am really liking this idea! I have wondered previously how to bring up if certain people celebrate certain Christian holidays or not. I think going forward I may cut out all cultural celebrations and just leave it for parents to do. Or maybe a questionnaire about celebrations so we can incorporate all? Which is best?
Cat Herder 04:20 AM 11-18-2020
One is super expensive, one takes a lot of burden off your plate.

It is a hard call. All my clients celebrate the same holidays I do and I like to throw the little parties. It makes the dreary winter go by easier.
Blackcat31 06:11 AM 11-18-2020
We don't celebrate anything here really....

I celebrate at home with my family and daycare families can do the same.

The only thing we kind of make a big deal about is the kids' birthdays but even then it's not a big party...just some extra activities and maybe cake added to the day. Depends.

I used to celebrate all the "commercial" holidays but after so many years it just got to be expected and not so much fun (more work) so I just leave celebrating to families.
Ariana 06:25 AM 11-18-2020
This is how I feel as well. Too much work and 99% of the time the kids are oblivious to what holidays are happening so it feels forced. I don’t typically do theme/adult lead activities either so when holidays come up it is a departure from my normal child lead curriculum, which is totally fine and is fun but it feels forced as the kids are not talking about it at all!

At the same time ignoring that these holidays are happening seems weird. BC do you get any grief from parents about not celebrating? Is it written into your contract?
Blackcat31 07:34 AM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
This is how I feel as well. Too much work and 99% of the time the kids are oblivious to what holidays are happening so it feels forced. I don’t typically do theme/adult lead activities either so when holidays come up it is a departure from my normal child lead curriculum, which is totally fine and is fun but it feels forced as the kids are not talking about it at all!

At the same time ignoring that these holidays are happening seems weird. BC do you get any grief from parents about not celebrating? Is it written into your contract?
I don't look at it like I am ignoring the holidays though and actually make comments to parents about how much being with family makes holidays great etc.... Of course I make a point of mentioning that holidays and daycare just doesn't mix well considering the vast differences families have now days in regards to how, where and when to celebrate.

I don't get any grief from families and I think it's because I make sure to let them know up front that to me holidays mean FAMILY not daycare.

I even make jokes to parents about how bad it had gotten over the years... kids TELLING me I HAD to buy them X or Y for Christmas etc... or the little girl that told me her mom told her the Easter Bunny only comes to daycare (DCM didn't want to do anything at home so figured she'd guilt me into it )

I guess I try to purposely take most my time off around holidays simply so I could avoid the perceived "responsibility" from parents.
Pestle 08:34 AM 11-19-2020
We don't celebrate holidays here. Just birthdays.

It helps that I worked retail long enough to really really hate Christmas!
Tags:anti-bias, holiday policy, policy of neutrality
Reply Up