Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Wont Sleep Here
christinaskids 08:16 AM 10-06-2011
I have a nine month old that is hia second week here. His grandma watched him before and held him constantly from what mom says. He wants to be held ALL THE TIME which is impissible between cooking, cleaning, and attending to the needs of the other children. He will take an afternoon in the swing and thats only for about an hour. Any suggestions besides keeping the cio routine going? I swear he could cry for hours if i let him.
Meeko 08:23 AM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by christinaskids:
I have a nine month old that is hia second week here. His grandma watched him before and held him constantly from what mom says. He wants to be held ALL THE TIME which is impissible between cooking, cleaning, and attending to the needs of the other children. He will take an afternoon in the swing and thats only for about an hour. Any suggestions besides keeping the cio routine going? I swear he could cry for hours if i let him.
First off...I know that in my state you would get into trouble for letting an infant sleep in a swing. It's tempting just to get him to sleep, but it's not safe.

It's hard, but put him in a crib/pnp and let him cry. There is no easy solution...it's just something the baby has to learn. He will learn...it just takes some longer than others. Good luck!
christinaskids 08:30 AM 10-06-2011
How long should i let him cry?
My state doesnt regulate the use of the swings for sleeping. He is a very big nine month old, his risk of sids is pretty low right now. I keep the swing in the living room next to me when i have a baby in it too.
Meeko 09:53 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by christinaskids:
How long should i let him cry?
Until he falls asleep!

I won't sugar coat it......it'll drive you nuts. But if you give in and hold him, he will just learn that if he screams long and hard enough, he'll get held. One of these days, he'll figure out that you aren't going to react to the screaming and he'll fall asleep on his own. Til then.......I feel for you and wish you luck and sanity!!
nannyde 09:57 AM 10-07-2011
NO swing to sleep please. Your state doesn't have to have regulations. It's dangerous. Read up on positional asyphixia

At nine months old he's ready for the night night little dude program. Put him in bed and let him have at it. If he sleeps.. he sleeps... if he doesn't he doesn't. He'll get a rest either way.
christinaskids 10:12 AM 10-07-2011
Today he went to sleep upstairs in the crib. I gave him some vicks rub since he's got a cold and wrapped him up good like a burrito and he slept as long as the other kids were quiet(good luck haha). His mom is working with me on not holding him so much and stuff so I see improvement! I figured I will give it until next week which will be his 3rd week. I am trying to get him on this schedule:

7:00 am-arrive
7:45 am-bring older kids to school
8:00-8:30-play
8:30-eat solids
9:00-nap
10:00-11:30-play
11:30-eat solids
12:00-nap
2:30-get kids from school
3:00-eat solids
and then he plays until his mom comes at about 4:45. This is the schedule I've had babies his age on in the past and it worked out well for them. Hopefully he will get into the routine of it and learn to sleep with some noise because I have some kids that can be very loud and he wakes up when they squeal. I've been trying to keep them quiet, but that is a hard thing to do. Thanks for the help everyone.
cheerfuldom 10:16 AM 10-07-2011
so the naps would be 9-10 and 12-3? If he is crying to sleep, I would definitely put him down earlier in the morning otherwise he would get only a 15 or 30 min. nap in the morning. My own 6 month old is currently sleeping 9-11 and 1-4. I have three around age one for DC kids and they all sleep 2 hours in the morning, 3 in the afternoon. just a thought.
KBCsMommy 10:30 AM 10-07-2011
That looks like a great schedule for the little guy. Its exactly the same my littles are on too!!

They get used to napping by themselves and going to sleep, it may take a few weeks, but trust me they get it!!
christinaskids 10:50 AM 10-07-2011
Currently he wont sleep at all in the morning so this is just an approximation. This is the schedule ive had babies on in the past. This lil guy wouldnt sleep in the morning then only 45 min in the afternoon so its quite an improvement
Tags:won't sleep
Reply Up