Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Favorite: Nap! :)
logged out 01:35 PM 07-19-2012
Does anyone here ever only have one child during the day? If you do, how to you go about naps for that one child? I have just started watching a child in my home (I've known her family for awhile now). Today was her first day and I had her do nap time on the couch in the living room. Only thing is, she couldn't go to sleep... She's used to the daycare routine, where there's other children going to sleep at the same time, on their own cots, in a darker, quiet room. But here, she was the only one. The living room is the only room I can think of to have her nap in, but there's so much going on. My family coming and going, the phone ringing, lots of light coming in (even with the blinds closed on each window) etc. I would have her in a bedroom and cover the window with a dark blanket, but none of my family wanted their room inhabited, and I would like to keep my own room child free so at least one room isn't invaded by any little people . SO, any advice? The couch isn't working... she was wide awake the whole time. I also tried patting her back, but it didn't help either. Do I need to give up my one and only child free room of the house?
brookeroo 07:45 PM 07-19-2012
if they aren't in a pack and play it depends on the kid for me. My cousin's kids I've had sleep on the floor in our office and bedroom and I hang out in the playroom on my laptop or watch tv in there until they wake up...that way if there are people in and out they aren't disrupting their sleep which means a longer break for me. My daughter naps in her room and I don't trust that they won't get up and play with my son's toys in his room so I don't allow anyone who's not in a pack and play to sleep in his room.

I've had them sleep in the playroom and I stay in the living room or visa versa however more often than not someone decides to drop in and mingle or pick up their kid early and wakes them up. Throws a wrench in my day. If they are younger and I'm not sure if they will stay in bed they sleep on the couch until I feel that I can trust they will not get up and snoop or play around.

I do not let them sleep in our beds though. Both my cousin's kids have randomly had accidents even though they went before they laid down and they have both been potty trained for quite some time.
My3cents 04:36 AM 07-20-2012
I have a nap routine.

We do lunch and then wash up, I start to close everything down, the shades, put music on, get out blankets and cots, move pNp's, diapers, close lights and then pray!!! Have to keep after Ssshhh, it is quiet time and don't say much more then that. This is what we do type of attitude. My kids look forward to rest time, because we play hard all morning and they are up early and tired come nap. They all react different and then they get used to this is what we do.
DCBlessings27 05:56 AM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by logged out:
Does anyone here ever only have one child during the day? If you do, how to you go about naps for that one child? I have just started watching a child in my home (I've known her family for awhile now). Today was her first day and I had her do nap time on the couch in the living room. Only thing is, she couldn't go to sleep... She's used to the daycare routine, where there's other children going to sleep at the same time, on their own cots, in a darker, quiet room. But here, she was the only one. The living room is the only room I can think of to have her nap in, but there's so much going on. My family coming and going, the phone ringing, lots of light coming in (even with the blinds closed on each window) etc. I would have her in a bedroom and cover the window with a dark blanket, but none of my family wanted their room inhabited, and I would like to keep my own room child free so at least one room isn't invaded by any little people . SO, any advice? The couch isn't working... she was wide awake the whole time. I also tried patting her back, but it didn't help either. Do I need to give up my one and only child free room of the house?
If you're watching that child or any others in your home on a regular basis, then you might have to figure out a plan for naps. I wouldn't have her nap in the living room if you have all that activity around. If you did have her nap in the living room, could you turn the ringer on the phone off for naptime and ask your family to stay in their own spaces until nap time is over or at least until the child has fallen asleep? Once the children have fallen asleep, I can get up and move around my living room. Or, you could ask one of your children to use his/her room for nap time. Then, that child could hang out in the living room.

I do have a full daycare, but I have had just one child rarely during nap. I have the same routine for nap. I lay children on their mats, turn on music, and stay in the room with them. I turn my phone to silent as well. Living rooms are generally distracting places. If one of my parents picks up during nap, nap is immediately over bc too much activity is happening, waking the kids.
Logged Out 09:15 PM 07-20-2012
Thank you for the replies! yes, it is only her for right now, until I can get more children here, but I'm almost afraid to, due to the limited space, and no defined play or nap areas. Her play and nap time both are in the living room. Our house is really small, so all she has is the living room and kitchen, which are connected without a door. All light coming in the kitchen door and windows stream right into the living room (which has another door and two more windows...). She actually did take a nap today, but I was on pins and needles the whole time because of so much that could have woken her up (she's a light sleeper anyway). I was happy a family member decided to do a wash, but it had to be during her nap or it wouldn't be done in time. AAAHHH! The laundry room is connected to the living room also, without a door... So everytime the washer clicked on or off, they'd close the washer door (front loader, so it makes a loud click when its shut), or any other sounds, I was just sure it was going to wake her up. It did at one point when I was first trying to get her to sleep, but luckily after about 30 more minutes she went back to sleep. I try my best to keep the activity level down, but keeping a household quiet for even 30 minutes so I can get her to sleep, and keeping things mostly quiet for the rest of nap is like expecting the impossible. I need a seperate house! Or a finished basement would work. Or an empty room... but none of those options seem to be presenting themselves to me lol. Oh well, I've now had one successful nap, for the most part. Maybe it's not a lost cause altogether?
Crazy8 03:16 PM 07-22-2012
is it just because its the summer and your kids are home from school or is this going to be an ongoing problem?? Honestly, I wouldn't be doing daycare if I didn't have at least a little bit of space to dedicate to it. When I only have one child here they still sleep on their mat in the playroom. It is a little louder here in the summer when my kids are home but we still manage. My babies nap in pack n' plays in my kids bedrooms - one per room (usually only have 1-2). I was NEVER successful in having them nap in the same room. Just something to consider if you are going to go forward and take in more kids. If she's young enough for a pack n' play I think I would go ahead and put her in a bedroom - I know its an inconvenience for one of your kids for a few hours but it would be better for all of them to not have to tip toe around the family room. I just have my DD get anything she wants from her room before I put the baby down.
Tags:adjustment period, nap issues, won't sleep
Reply Up