Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Car seat help
TheGoodLife 10:17 AM 06-21-2013
I am looking to try to fit 3 careseat in both cars (right now we just have them in the SUV- 2 in the middle row outboard seats and 1 in the back. When we move DD3 from a removable carrier to a convertible, we can't push that seat up to fit the oldest in the back) We have an '03 Honda civic and an '11 Chevy Traverse. Would anyone have any suggestions to get either 2 or 3 RF carseats across the Honda (My 3 can be FF, but might try to get to go back to RF for safety reasons). I ordered 2 Radian RTXs so I'm waiting to get those delivered and see if they work. My current carseats are Cosco and Evenflo Tribute- too wide to fit 3n across. Also my DH is 6'1, so we need the drivers seats to be back all the way. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it! TIA
kitkat 10:54 AM 06-21-2013
I used this website when I was trying to get 3 across in our 09 Corolla and found it very helpful. You can type in a search for your specific car and how many across and a bunch of threads will pop up.

http://www.car-seat.org/
LK5kids 12:09 PM 06-21-2013
I have been a car seat tech for 14 yrs. I will re-read your description to see if I can visualize what you need. It is probably best I don't give advice without being able to actually work on your seat placements. I do advise you do some research to see if you can find someone in your area that checks seats and helps install them.

Fire and police departments many time have techs or leads to where you can find one. I worked for a family resource center for 14 yrs and we rented car seats and advised/helped with installing them. Do you have a resource like that?

I will re-read your question. Okay re-reading your post you might really be unable to fit three seats rear facing in a car. Cars many times have space issues with car seats. I applaud you for wanting to, as that is safest!

Especially since your husband is tall. Are you able to fit them in side-by-side? And the issue is how far they extend towards the front seat because they are rear-facing? You also have to consider if you can tighten them properly in these positions.

My best advice is to go to a car seat check or find someone who does checks on an individual basis.

Good luck!
TheGoodLife 01:04 PM 06-21-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
I have been a car seat tech for 14 yrs. I will re-read your description to see if I can visualize what you need. It is probably best I don't give advice without being able to actually work on your seat placements. I do advise you do some research to see if you can find someone in your area that checks seats and helps install them.

Fire and police departments many time have techs or leads to where you can find one. I worked for a family resource center for 14 yrs and we rented car seats and advised/helped with installing them. Do you have a resource like that?

I will re-read your question. Okay re-reading your post you might really be unable to fit three seats rear facing in a car. Cars many times have space issues with car seats. I applaud you for wanting to, as that is safest!

Especially since your husband is tall. Are you able to fit them in side-by-side? And the issue is how far they extend towards the front seat because they are rear-facing? You also have to consider if you can tighten them properly in these positions.

My best advice is to go to a car seat check or find someone who does checks on an individual basis.

Good luck!
Thanks! We have several places to check the installation, but I need to know what to buy before I can use them and have them check it out, KWIM? I'm hoping the RXT is shallow enough when at the fully upright position (she's 12 months, so we don't need her reclined) that we can safely put it RF. If anything, we can put the 2 middle row seats in the Traverse behind the passenger and center seats, then put our oldest in the rear and just use the hatch-back to get in to buckle her up- just hoping to not have to do that, since that'll be no fun! Beats buying a new, used minivan, though!
TheGoodLife 01:04 PM 06-21-2013
Originally Posted by kitkat:
I used this website when I was trying to get 3 across in our 09 Corolla and found it very helpful. You can type in a search for your specific car and how many across and a bunch of threads will pop up.

http://www.car-seat.org/
Awesome, thanks so much!
DaisyMamma 01:26 PM 06-21-2013
The thinnest available carseats are Sunshine Kids Radians, now known as Diono Radians, measuring 14" across the widest part of the base, so you made the right choice. You may have to order more.

I went through this again and again and found that no amount of measuring will help. You can do some research to find the thinnest seats and then the only way to see if they fit is to put them in. I found that using measurements really doesn't work. My measurements always told me that the seat combinations wouldnt work, but some actually did.

You may have to go buy the seats and put them in, in the parking lot. Then return if it doesn't work. You can also borrow seats from friends or dcp to see what works.
Reply Up