Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Store Breast Milk
Unregistered 05:12 AM 09-23-2014
In the freezer? I am running out of room in my freezer. I currently have one baby on breast milk but in a month I may have another. Breast fed infant. How do you store multiple peoples breast milk?

The DCM I have now freezes her milk in ziploc bags and it takes up so much space. I don't want to have to get a deep freezer just because of the breast feeding dcms.
Cat Herder 05:14 AM 09-23-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I don't want to have to get a deep freezer just because of the breast feeding dcms.
You answered your own question.

You can deduct the cost on taxes, though.

I separate each source in rubbermaid food storage boxes to prevent cross contamination.

The freezer below is $159 at walmart, free site to store shipping. Also great for magnet play and dry erase markers...
Attached: rubbermaid food box.jpg (34.9 KB) 5.2 cubic feet $159. walmart.jpg (8.2 KB) 
Shell 05:24 AM 09-23-2014
This is how I have done it: I will keep one or two bags in my freezer as a reserve for if the baby needs more than the mother has packed. Otherwise, my current bf dcm brings a mini lunchbox with an ice pack, of pumped milk that I keep in the fridge- I just don't have space for the storage either. Hth.
LysesKids 06:05 AM 09-23-2014
I ask parents to keep a one day reserve plus one extra 4 oz in my freezer... they bring fresh everyday otherwise. I have 3 of the 4 babies next week on breast... no way could I keep more than a one day supply for each child due to limited space lol
TickleMonster 06:12 AM 09-23-2014
A deep freezer, even a small one would probably be a good investment for you. I have one that I use for my family food and when I had breast fed babies, I usually kept about a weeks worth stored in my regular freezer with the childs name and the date mom pumped it written on the bag. If you want to avoid getting the freezer, just have dcm bring a insulated lunchbox with enough bags in it for each day.
Annalee 06:43 AM 09-23-2014
I have a parent that brings breast milk for the freezer.....the bags just lay flat so they don't take up much room....if it became too many, I would just tell the parent to wait a little longer before bringing any more.
Blackcat31 06:54 AM 09-23-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I have a parent that brings breast milk for the freezer.....the bags just lay flat so they don't take up much room....if it became too many, I would just tell the parent to wait a little longer before bringing any more.
Yes, the shape it was in before freezing makes a difference. My DCM also brings flat frozen bags to me.

I can fit a dozen bags in one tiny spot in my freezer.

I only keep a dozen here though and she brings fresh most the time but I won't store more than a dozen at a time. I just tell her when I use and how many I used and she replaces.
renodeb 11:26 AM 09-23-2014
Thats the way I do it to Shell. Other wise it gets out of control. Thankfully I have one baby on breast milk.
Debbie
TwinKristi 02:37 PM 09-23-2014
I only have one baby on breastmilk now and she's phasing off before another one starts so I don't think I will face this issue anytime soon. I do have a chest freezer though and would probably bag up some smaller bags in bigger freezer bag labeled with their name. Just refresh your stash as needed.
Tags:breastmilk
Reply Up