Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Some Advice On DCM
mommyneedsadayoff 08:46 AM 03-23-2015
I think I may have got myself in a pickle, so just looking for advice.

Dcm got laid off last wed, but dcg came each day like normal because mom had some interviews. Well, I told dcm that if the job search started to take longer and she needed to reduce days, we could go down to 3 days a week until she finds something. I don't mind the paycut, because it would allow me a few days off each week, since my other kid only comes part time. She thanked me and said we will see how it goes and that she wanted to keep dcg on a routine and that she would miss us and all that. So, she came today and then said she plans to keep dcg home on friday, so just to let me know. I was busy, so I didn't ask if she wanted to use a vacation day (they get 10 vacation days a year), but I got to thinking that maybe she thinks it is just unpaid and she doesn't need to use a vacay day since I said the part time stuff last week. It is not a big deal, but the reason I said the part time thing is that I wanted days off, but now she is taking friday, which is the day I have the other kid, so I am losing income and still not getting a day off. Should I say something at pick up and just ask if she wants to use a vacation day? Or just forget about it and move on? It is also complicated because she is pregnant and due in Nov., so she plans to take 8 weeks maternity (not sure if she will continue to bring dcg or keep her home too?), so I need to figure out how to charge for that and for the new baby. Any advice on either issue is appreciated!
Gemma 08:56 AM 03-23-2015
I would request a meeting with her and re do her contract for less days, if she picks a Friday, tell her that would not work for you....your business, your right to pick what days you work!
KIDZRMYBIZ 09:11 AM 03-23-2015
I would be honest and tell her that the PT offer came with 2 strings attached:

1. The days off had to be days that other DCK wasn't in care, so your day would be freed up.

2. It could be no more than 2 days per week unpaid.

It is a very reasonable offer, and not one she would likely get anywhere else.

I would also remind her of your policy on vacation days, and ask if she planned to use them for part of the maternity leave. Of course you need to know for your own financial budgeting if she is going to take them all at once.

I have had several DCFs with siblings here that have a new baby and be out on maternity leave. I have never given them that time unpaid, especially since I usually am holding a spot for the new baby already. And with every single one of them, the older sibling was here almost every day like normal, much to the relief of the DCM.
finsup 09:11 AM 03-23-2015
Sounds like a good time to sit down and talk with her about her plans moving forward. In regards to her job and pregnancy. Decide on what you can/want to offer ahead of time and have that prepared before you talk to her.
Unregistered 09:12 AM 03-23-2015
Parents have to give me 2 weeks notice for vacation so I never ask. They have to request to use their vacation days also, I don't assume. That took the responsibility off me and now I don't have to ask them. Regarding this parent I would ask about reducing days and then leave it to her to tell you. Make it very clear.
spinnymarie 09:14 AM 03-23-2015
Tell her she can definitely take Friday, but that it will be a vacation day because you need to sign new paperwork for a new part-time contract before it will go into effect.
Then set up a meeting to do new paperwork if that's what she wants to do, and the P-T will be three SET days each week that she pays for regardless of use, and here are the days that I have available.
I assume she thinks now she can just come as she pleases, but keep your contract as is until she signs a new one, with rules that you have set.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:41 AM 03-23-2015
I will have to talk with her about all of this, so I am writing up my contract to include a maternity part and I am printing out a new contract for part time, in case that is what she ends up wanting. But this is my first time with pregnancy/sibling stuff, so is it okay to charge her the same amount for the second kid as the first (no discount) or is it standard for a sibling "discount"? I have a lot of interest from other families, too, so should I ask her to hold the spot for the new baby with a deposit or something? Thanks again for any advice!
laundrymom 09:47 AM 03-23-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I will have to talk with her about all of this, so I am writing up my contract to include a maternity part and I am printing out a new contract for part time, in case that is what she ends up wanting. But this is my first time with pregnancy/sibling stuff, so is it okay to charge her the same amount for the second kid as the first (no discount) or is it standard for a sibling "discount"? I have a lot of interest from other families, too, so should I ask her to hold the spot for the new baby with a deposit or something? Thanks again for any advice!
My rate never changes for a family so the way oil explain the sibling discount is,
"I charge you $120 for stefen, I will charge you the same rate for Mia even though new families who enroll are charged $125. That's the best discount I can offer. "
spinnymarie 10:06 AM 03-23-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
No discount here.
Thriftylady 04:43 PM 03-23-2015
I think each provider is different. But since restarting, I tell parents that any changes in schedule require a new contract to be written up. If you don't want the days she does, you don't have to agree to a new contract!
Reply Up