Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Toddler Art
hoopinglady 12:45 PM 10-25-2011
I am rearranging today to make the play room more appropriate for the new toddlers.

I am making my small dining room an art studio for big kids (3 or so and up) only...I'll also keep the sensory table in there...probably should put another one out here for the littles.

The toddlers are crazy with crayons and markers as a free choice. Do you have an art center for little guys or just bring stuff out as daily activities?
Heidi 12:59 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by hoopinglady:
I am rearranging today to make the play room more appropriate for the new toddlers.

I am making my small dining room an art studio for big kids (3 or so and up) only...I'll also keep the sensory table in there...probably should put another one out here for the littles.

The toddlers are crazy with crayons and markers as a free choice. Do you have an art center for little guys or just bring stuff out as daily activities?
I would love to have them out as free choice, but only one child in my group is ready for that, and he is 4. The 20 month would probably catch on, but the 3yo girl and twin 14 mo's would be a nightmare. 3yo girl likes to hide things, and do sneaky stuff. Even when I am right next to her, she will color on paper for 5 minutes, then color on everything else she sees, even if I remind here ahead of time, we "only color on the paper". Unless I am pretty much staring at her, it's walls, the table, my calendar, whatever is handy.
melskids 04:51 PM 10-25-2011
I love art! If i could, i would get rid of every other toy in my house and turn the whole thing into an art studio! lol

I have three different bookshelves currently. One is for the toddlers, with basic art supplies. One is for preschool (up a little higher) and then I have a special SA cabinet, which only the SAgers can access.

Art supplies are out and available throughout the whole day, for all three age groups. I start very young (they are finger painting and coloring by 8-9 months old) modeling appropriate use of materials, and stay very close to the youngest toddlers. They all seem to catch on fairly quickly. Our art center is RIGHT next to my couch, and I haven't had anyone color on it yet.
sanderson 05:16 AM 11-22-2011
I find art so rejuvenating for kids & their expression of thought gets unveiled. I want to make kids room’s walls their canvas but my DH is hardly interested.
Tags:art - toddler, toddler activities, toddler art
Reply Up