Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Wake or Let Sleep
Country Kids 02:22 PM 11-28-2011
Naptime should not, I mean should not be such a problem!!!!!! I have one that is 2 been up since 5:45 and still not asleep for nap and we have 40 min. left till nap is over. Child cannot be quite for the life of themselves either and it is really starting to wear on me. Mom let me know also that child wasn't taking naps either over the long weekend=how do children outgrow naps at such a young age anymore?

Another one just fell asleep and will be a bear to wake up. Would you let them sleep or go ahead and battle the child. 2 hours till mom picks up after naptime is over.

The reason I don't know if I should wake up or not is because of the food program. They have the time afternoon nap is to happen and if a child is still sleeping they can't eat at that time. Can you let them eat later? Also, I'm worried that when I have my first inspection next month they will want to come during afternoon snack and I'll have some that are still sleeping because everyone waits till the last minute to fall asleep.
bice99 02:25 PM 11-28-2011
They almost always come for my afternoon snack. As long as your snack time is in the window of time between lunch and dinner, you should be fine. I just tell my gal who's still sleeping and that they will eat when they wake up. Hasn't been a problem yet.
nannyde 02:29 PM 11-28-2011
The worst thing that can happen is you loose a few cents for the snack for that kid that day.
daycare 02:39 PM 11-28-2011
I would not wake the ones that are still sleeping when I call for wake up. I open the blind, turn on the lights and those that wake up will clean up and get ready for snack. I say if a child is that tired that they sleep through all of that noise, let them.

My own son stopped napping at 2.5, but its because he found a way to keep himself awake or able to get over that hump of being too tired. I had to practically hold him down, and rub his back til he would fall asleep. He's 4 now and I gave up.
Country Kids 02:44 PM 11-28-2011
They have finally all fallen asleep and we have 15 min till naptime is over. That is why I've seriously considered pushing naptime till 1:30 or 2:00 because it usually always takes this long for them to fall asleep if they even go to sleep. We started naptime around 12:30/1:00. I rarely get a break anymore because of this, now my afterschoolers will be starting and I haven't gotten the chance to even eat=.
daycare 02:48 PM 11-28-2011
I would try to go earlier... maybe start nap at 1:00, especially if they have been up for that long. If they are tired and given more time to get over that hump, they will manage to get over it and wake status beings again.

For me it's that 4:00pm fight that I get sleepy, but by 4:30, I am over it and all good to go again.
Nellie 08:10 PM 11-28-2011
I think from what I've read that you might have better luck if you try getting them down earlier. Especially if they have been up that long.
On the other hand I do a later nap, because of all the nap problems I have had. One of the only reasons I do this is because if they don't fall asleep with in 30 minutes they are allowed to get up and do quite activities(witch is never quite and wakes up any that are sleeping). I've been thinking of rolling back nap time by 15 minutes every week until they are going down by one. Just going to see how it works.
Abigail 01:33 AM 11-29-2011
I've only had one "trial" day at home, but we did almost the same at the daycare I left. We eat lunch about 11:30 then diapers/bathroom breaks and go find your bed routine. Here in my daycare we're all going to sit down for a few books then lay down. This way everyone is sitting or laying down for a good 10-15 minutes with nothing to distract them and they begin to relax.

What do you do right before nap? Do you let your kids run and do more physical activity/exercise earlier in the morning? Do they drink enough milk and eat enough food during lunch? Do you dim the lights, turn off any music and any tv to lower distraction? Do you have any electronic toys that stimulate kids to stay awake? Do you do anything extra exciting that keeps kids distracted from falling asleep? Do you have kids sleeping near each other where they are distracted with each other? Just throwing out ideas here!

On my "trial" day we were done eating at 11:45 am and then read 5 really short books. We layed down and I realized it wasn't even noon yet. LOL. It took this one child until 1:30 pm to fall asleep and that is the latest I would want to try to get a little one to sleep. I would move nap time or at least preparing for nap time up. If you say "find your beds" at 1:00 there is no doubt about it they will be up til 2 or 2:30!

My afternoon snack is at 3:00 so if everyone can fall asleep between noon and 1:30 then they will most likely begin waking at 2:30 and I would wake anyone who is still sleeping (not likely) by 3:30 or else kids will not get to sleep at night. Chances are the mom with the child who skips nap now is probably letting her child go to bed right after an early dinner to enjoy peace and quiet at home. Ask what time the child goes to bed and wakes up. It's your right to know or at least ask because it affects this child at daycare.
Heidi 06:05 AM 11-29-2011
Country-I know from what you've said before that space is a huge issue in your home, so seperating them for nap is a tough thing. I really think that is your answer, if you can find a way.

How old are the children you have? What is your group size? Is there any other space that you have available at all? how many playpens and mats do you have available?

I know you've been working on routine, dark room, etc for a long time. I know you have been dealing with this nap issue for quite a while, also! You must be pooped!

As for snack, if someone sleeps later, they can have snack when they get up. Just fix them a plate, and if FP comes, you can show them you have it ready.
renodeb 09:57 AM 11-29-2011
My dc kids nap at 130 and they are all usually asleep at 145. They are all up by 4. That is what works for me. I would let them sleep if there that tired!
Debbie
Country Kids 01:36 PM 11-29-2011
OK same routine as ever and guess what--they are all asleep!

It is so hit and miss with this bunch that it just isn't funny. You never know if one will sleep, all, or none. It just is wearing on me because it is turning into a day by day thing of who will sleep or not.

Yesterday I had two sleep clear through nap and one was still sleeping at pick up time. They still went to bed at the same time and slept though the night! Kids these days just stump me sometimes!
Tags:naptime issues
Reply Up