Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do With Infants Anyway?
legomom922 03:59 AM 01-04-2011
I just wondered how you all entertain infants in the 4-8 moth range. My variable hrs moms baby who is 6 month, is very needy, and if he is not geing held all the time, he screams..all day..I put him in the excersaucer, the jumperoo, now a walker, swing etc, and all he does is cry!If I put him down on the floor for tummytime he cries..I have never had to watch him along with another child before, but since DCM changed her hrs, I will now have him along with my 2.5 DCG, and I'm not sure how I am going to take care of her and him at the same time because all he will do is cry. So what kinds of things do you do in this situation or even when you take care of more than 1 infant? Do you just them them CIO while you are tending to other infants/children?
mickey2 04:19 AM 01-04-2011
Yes I do let them cry it out while I am tending to other things. There is no reason why a baby this age can not sit in an exersaucer or jumparoo or play on the floor or in a pack n play. I know babies need a lot of attention and need to be played with a lot but this child is just used to being constantly entertained and the sooner you get baby out of this the better for you and your daycare kids. It will take time though and you will feel like pulling your hair out but once baby learns, (and he will) your day will go a lot better. I've gone through it a few times. I just went through it for about a month with my own grandson whom I care for full time along with my 5 other daycare children. Mom never put him down for the whole 11 months that she was home with him. He wanted to be held or constantly played with ALL the time. Impossible! Unless mom wants to leave him with someone who has only him & pay for one on one care!
mac60 04:40 AM 01-04-2011
I have 2 that are 1 1/2 and just turned 1. They are such whiners all of the time. Never content for more than a few minutes. My daycare space is my family room, so at 12 months and 1 1/2, I don't want them freely roaming the room as they won't stay off the furniture, out of the tv, away from the fireplace, etc. So, they either play in the high chair, or in my enclosed play area where they can crawl, walk, play and move around. When I have exhausted those options with them and they are not content, they go to bed. I never allowed my own two kids to freely crawl on my furniture, play with my tv, etc, and I will not allow the dc kids either. There is nothing wrong with a young child...under age 2....until they learn what no means, to play in an enclosed play area to keep them safe and out of things until they can understand.
Cat Herder 04:54 AM 01-04-2011
I do it a bit different, I guess. I do not do swings, bouncers, or any restraint type of device...except for when they are newborn (6-12 weeks) and the parents bring me their swing for a few weeks (only if they are already habituated to it). I wean them off quick, though, since I feel strongly that is why so many infants scream whenever their feet hit the floor.

I only use exersaucers on the outdoor playground so the bigger kids can play without littles underfoot and littles are able to see everything but not eat the mulch . I do not use high chairs until they are able to sit up unassisted; I feed them in bean bag chairs when they are still spoon fed (easier/safer for me with more than one infant).

Each child gets their own "half wall" divided playroom 36 ft with play mat flooring. Infants each have their own toys, "gym mats" with mobiles and the divider walls are decorated with hanging toys and tactile cloths/boards. They learn to roll, crawl and walk in their own little safe house free from toddler domination , but are still able to see everyone. Each infant I accept is a large investment and since I only enroll infants I am very selective .

There is also one large central area for group activities and a huge indoor climber with tunnels and slides. It is a very "physical" setup but allows each child their own individualized quiet space as well. I initially set this playroom up for my own three children and it has served me very well over the years.
legomom922 05:16 AM 01-04-2011
Ok, so it's ok then if I lay this baby on his back in a safe area, and just let him roll around, crawl around and continue to cry? When I put him in the excersaucers etc, and he cries, I should just let him to continue to cry? I feel bad, and I'm sure he is spoiled at home, but I just cannot hold and play with this baby every minute. I just didn't know if just letting him cry all the time was acceptable to do or not, and I know tomorrow I am going to have a stressful day!
countrymom 05:24 AM 01-04-2011
if there is nothing wrong with him and if he's fed and bum is cleaned then don't worry if he cries. don't worry it will take some time before he gets the hang of it, but I think once they realize they can play all by themselves it will make their lives so much easier.
mickey2 05:26 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by legomom922:
Ok, so it's ok then if I lay this baby on his back in a safe area, and just let him roll around, crawl around and continue to cry? When I put him in the excersaucers etc, and he cries, I should just let him to continue to cry? I feel bad, and I'm sure he is spoiled at home, but I just cannot hold and play with this baby every minute. I just didn't know if just letting him cry all the time was acceptable to do or not, and I know tomorrow I am going to have a stressful day!
Yes let him cry. As long as he is safe, Its not going to hurt him. Let him see you, talk to him, interact with him, but let him learn that you can not entertain him for the whole day! He will soon learn to pay attention to his toys, what is going on around him etc. Yes it is going to be very stressful until he is trained! I call my training period with babies, "baby boot camp"
SilverSabre25 05:28 AM 01-04-2011
What I do with babies...try to keep them happy and occupied long enough to do something else.
Cat Herder 05:36 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by legomom922:
Ok, so it's ok then if I lay this baby on his back in a safe area, and just let him roll around, crawl around and continue to cry?
Absolutely. He will learn that it does not work and that you will come to him when he needs something regardless of the crying. Eventually there is not payoff for doing it and he will move on to something else.
ammama 05:46 AM 01-04-2011
I bought a really great (expensive though) baby carrier that comfortably holds big babies. If I have a 6 month old who wants to be carried, I carry them. Put them on my back, and let them stay there. I only take on one infant under 18 months at a time though, so that makes it easier.
laundrymom 09:28 AM 01-04-2011
Could you post a pic or email me one? Invert interested in details of this
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I do it a bit different, I guess. I do not do swings, bouncers, or any restraint type of device...except for when they are newborn (6-12 weeks) and the parents bring me their swing for a few weeks (only if they are already habituated to it). I wean them off quick, though, since I feel strongly that is why so many infants scream whenever their feet hit the floor.

I only use exersaucers on the outdoor playground so the bigger kids can play without littles underfoot and littles are able to see everything but not eat the mulch . I do not use high chairs until they are able to sit up unassisted; I feed them in bean bag chairs when they are still spoon fed (easier/safer for me with more than one infant).

Each child gets their own "half wall" divided playroom 36 ft with play mat flooring. Infants each have their own toys, "gym mats" with mobiles and the divider walls are decorated with hanging toys and tactile cloths/boards. They learn to roll, crawl and walk in their own little safe house free from toddler domination , but are still able to see everyone. Each infant I accept is a large investment and since I only enroll infants I am very selective .

There is also one large central area for group activities and a huge indoor climber with tunnels and slides. It is a very "physical" setup but allows each child their own individualized quiet space as well. I initially set this playroom up for my own three children and it has served me very well over the years.

Francine 09:39 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Could you post a pic or email me one? Invert interested in details of this
I was going to ask the same thing.
Cat Herder 09:41 AM 01-04-2011
Sure...will send private messages.

Sent messages, but my folder is not showing them as sent, let me know if you got them...ok?
Tags:infant, infant care
Reply Up