Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Meal Pattern Exceptions
blandino 11:48 PM 09-28-2012
So I know the technical infant meal pattern requirements for 8-11 months. But I have a DCG who is 7.5 months and parents are choosing to delay solids and focus on breast milk only until a year ( a few solids at home - but not as a main source of nutrition)- I support their decision - and since up until 8 months the infant meal pattern states "when developmentally ready" for solids - so they are not a necessity. After 8 months, it changes to requiring solids (no "when developmentally ready" wording). So my question is, has anyone ever needed an exception to this ? Is there a parental exception form (that doesn't require a doctors note - I don't think their ped. will do one) ? I called the FP, but no answer from them and I am just curious. I want to be able to give mom all her options - but I know it will scare her if she hears that we have to start including not only purees - but starches too (at snack). I know they haven't tried any starches home yet... I have never had this problem - usually parents are wanting us to start food before they are actually ready.
SilverSabre25 04:43 AM 09-29-2012
To the parents, I say, W00T!!! GO YOU!!! More people need to go that route. That was my intention with both kids but both of mine ended up eating a lot more solids by the time they turned one--because THEY wanted to.

Anyway, I think it's annoying that the meal pattern doesn't allow for that. I mean, the WHO and even AAP say that until one, solids are to be for practice and play and as a sensory experience rather than a source of nutrition, and breastmilk/formula are the ideal until they are one. I like that the meal pattern does at least allow for it up until 8 months, though.

I was going to suggest a doctor's note, then I reread your post. No advice! I'm sorry. Curious what others have to say though...
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:08 AM 09-29-2012
Is the baby happy and content without solids? I nursed my son until.. ok after 2 but before 3 But, he was eating chili by 8 months! We had to start solids way to early due to medical issues with me. He refused a bottle, a dropper anything. So he got babyfood early so he could eat something while I was in surgery/ recovery.
Thinking of the 8 month old at my house... he eats! I just can't wrap my brain around an almost one year old not picking up vegies off the tray and eating them. Such good fine motor skill. By one, it is usually what they can shove in their own mouth around here. Is he not trying to get a hold of food that he sees you and his parents eating?? How many bottles is he taking in a day?
But, back to your question. I would think it would take a doctor's note, but, it could be looked at as your offering the food (have it available for inspection) but the parents are refusing it... maybe. I don't know.
SilverSabre25 06:05 AM 09-29-2012
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Is the baby happy and content without solids? I nursed my son until.. ok after 2 but before 3 But, he was eating chili by 8 months! We had to start solids way to early due to medical issues with me. He refused a bottle, a dropper anything. So he got babyfood early so he could eat something while I was in surgery/ recovery.
Thinking of the 8 month old at my house... he eats! I just can't wrap my brain around an almost one year old not picking up vegies off the tray and eating them. Such good fine motor skill. By one, it is usually what they can shove in their own mouth around here. Is he not trying to get a hold of food that he sees you and his parents eating?? How many bottles is he taking in a day?
But, back to your question. I would think it would take a doctor's note, but, it could be looked at as your offering the food (have it available for inspection) but the parents are refusing it... maybe. I don't know.
My children have always eaten a lot by age one, but nursed a lot, too. I have had a couple of daycare kids though that were NOT very interested in solids until 9/10/11 months. Their parents forced the issue though A couple of my nieces and nephews weren't very interested until close to one, too.
Blackcat31 07:14 AM 09-29-2012
I just asked my food rep this the other day.

One of my DC babies will be facing this too.

Parents want to do breastmilk only (or as much as possible) until 1 year.

Food program rep said a doctor's note (special diet statement) is required.
blandino 03:34 PM 09-29-2012
I was definitely happy that they made this choice, as I see so many families pushing solids at 4 months. We actually have it in our contract that we won't start solids until 6 months at daycare because it is what the AAP recommends.

As of now, yes she is very content with breast milk only. However, she is wanting her bottles closer and closer as she gets older. Now she waits 2-2.5 hours (used to do 3 - 3.5), but thats to be expected because the bottles are staying the same size. She usually eats at 7:00 at home - then 6 oz at 9:30/10:00, 12:00/12:30 and 3:30/4:00 at daycare (longer gap because she takes a good afternoon nap).

I actually like the idea of holding off solids because it means that when she actually starts solids she will be old enough to self-feed. (Personal rant - that I think parents keep their kids on purees for far longer than is necessary) - so once this DCG is old enough to eat - she will be doing soft, diced, finger foods. This is one of the benefits I read about in the literature mom told me about as far as holding off solids.

Typically at day care, we have babies feeding themselves around 9 months - so I don't know how this will pan out. And I think before 12 months, it will become a problem because she will just need very large amounts of milk to sustain her appetite. I think mom's bog concern is that she will start eating food, and take less breast milk. I don't see that being a problem -she will probably continue 6 oz with the food - so will stay at her current level. I thought I could offer mom to do cereal only instead of purees and cereal - that way it will ad bulk and fill her up a little without introducing food.

I will let mom know that if she can do a doctors note, then that will work. THANKS LADIES !
itlw8 03:49 PM 09-29-2012
I would think that the parents would just check they choose not to participate in the food program... you enroll them but do not claim the child on the daily sheets.

You do not get paid for that child then/ when they are ready to introduce foods you just update the form
blandino 09:58 PM 09-29-2012
In so many years doing daycare, I honestly didn't know that was an option. I have never had a family that needed to not participate. I'm sure that will be the solution. I truly thought, that you had to have all the children enrolled in the food program. Although, our food program enrollments sheets don't have a place to opt out (or a box to check) like you said.
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 09-30-2012
Originally Posted by blandino:
In so many years doing daycare, I honestly didn't know that was an option. I have never had a family that needed to not participate. I'm sure that will be the solution. I truly thought, that you had to have all the children enrolled in the food program. Although, our food program enrollments sheets don't have a place to opt out (or a box to check) like you said.
Whether a family chooses to be enrolled in the food program is entirely up to them. You can have both kids in care on the program and kids in care not on the program.

You just don't get reimbursed for the kids not on the program so one would think you would find alternate ways to make up for the cost of feeding that child such as a higher rate or having parents supply that child's food.

Originally Posted by itlw8:
I would think that the parents would just check they choose not to participate in the food program... you enroll them but do not claim the child on the daily sheets.

You do not get paid for that child then/ when they are ready to introduce foods you just update the form
This is true, but when parents supply the breast milk and the provider does the work (I know not hard but...) to prepare the bottles or even just simply fee the child the bottle, you still get reimbursed for that meal. So youwould be losing out on the money for that child if you simply just had them not be on the food program.

It seems much easier to just have them get a special diet statement at least to me I guess.
itlw8 06:13 PM 09-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This is true, but when parents supply the breast milk and the provider does the work (I know not hard but...) to prepare the bottles or even just simply fee the child the bottle, you still get reimbursed for that meal. So youwould be losing out on the money for that child if you simply just had them not be on the food program.

It seems much easier to just have them get a special diet statement at least to me I guess.
Yes but that is only up to 8 months. at 8 months the provider must provide the food. If the provider does not provide the food the whole meal is not creditable.
Blackcat31 06:35 PM 09-30-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
Yes but that is only up to 8 months. at 8 months the provider must provide the food. If the provider does not provide the food the whole meal is not creditable.
Hmm, I was told that with a special diet statement from the doctor, parent could feed breast milk ONLY until 12 months and I would still be reimbursed the same.

The baby I have is still a few months away from being 8 months but I will double check with my rep.
Tags:meals
Reply Up