Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-08-2013, 11:39 PM
daycaremom88's Avatar
daycaremom88 daycaremom88 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 35
Default Infant Space Layout Ideas?

Hi, I am looking and can't find any pictures of infant only areas. I have put up a half wall and sectioned off a portion of my space to have young infants and maybe a young toddler to play in. I need some ideas of what kind of toys and things you'd put in an infant only space. I have 2 pack n plays, a jumperoo, a music table, and a swing. What else would you include? or if you have a picture can you post it on her please?! Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

I have a separate room for infants. In that room is a PNP. I don't use any other type of infant equipment so no swings, no bouncers etc...

As for toys, I have:
  • tons of soft blocks
  • board books
  • infant/toddler size stools with a small table
  • dolls
  • chunky trucks and cars
  • plastic connecting beads
  • sorting toys
  • rattles and chew toys
  • extra large Duplo blocks
  • musical instruments
  • a couple large playground type balls

I think that is about it
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-09-2013, 09:47 AM
blandino's Avatar
blandino blandino is offline
Daycare.com member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tulsa area
Posts: 1,508
Default

We too have a separate room for infants/ young toddlers (up to 18/20m). We do use infant equipment. So we have two bouncers in there, we also have bouncy chairs/papasan chairs/ etc that we keep in the closet and pull-out as we use them.

We had large room dividers that we used to partition an area of the room off for all their PNPs - that way it feels a little separate and I think gives a little bit of an external cue that it is nap time.

We have a rocker in the corner of the room, and a large changing table. There is a PNP out in the main area of the room where our youngest infant (4 mo) sleeps since she isn't napping when the rest of the kids do. Also, we do her tummy time, etc in there so she is protected from the crawling/toddling infants.

We have large toys in that room, so that there aren't too many toys kept out al the time to dump and scatter. And then in the closet we keep their toys/sensory bins. A bucket of soft both toys, and a box of small toys are available at all times.

This picture is a little older, and things look slightly different now - will take a picture tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I have a separate room for infants. In that room is a PNP. I don't use any other type of infant equipment so no swings, no bouncers etc...

As for toys, I have:
  • tons of soft blocks
  • board books
  • infant/toddler size stools with a small table
  • dolls
  • chunky trucks and cars
  • plastic connecting beads
  • sorting toys
  • rattles and chew toys
  • extra large Duplo blocks
  • musical instruments
  • a couple large playground type balls

I think that is about it
Do you have two adults? Otherwise I can't figure out how you can use two separate rooms. That would be ideal to have a separate room but how?

Thanks, Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-09-2013, 07:31 PM
LaLa1923's Avatar
LaLa1923 LaLa1923 is offline
mommyof5-and going crazy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
Do you have two adults? Otherwise I can't figure out how you can use two separate rooms. That would be ideal to have a separate room but how?

Thanks, Laurel
I believe she has an open floor plan. her setup is very interesting.

My living room is for my infants, my playroom is for the older kids. I have cameras.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-09-2013, 07:31 PM
LaLa1923's Avatar
LaLa1923 LaLa1923 is offline
mommyof5-and going crazy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I have a separate room for infants. In that room is a PNP. I don't use any other type of infant equipment so no swings, no bouncers etc...

As for toys, I have:
  • tons of soft blocks
  • board books
  • infant/toddler size stools with a small table
  • dolls
  • chunky trucks and cars
  • plastic connecting beads
  • sorting toys
  • rattles and chew toys
  • extra large Duplo blocks
  • musical instruments
  • a couple large playground type balls

I think that is about it
How come you don't use any equipment?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-09-2013, 07:36 PM
LaLa1923's Avatar
LaLa1923 LaLa1923 is offline
mommyof5-and going crazy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,101
Default

I have a exersaucer bouncey thing

Soft Sassy Mirrors

Blocks

Chunky little people

Stacking cups

Stacking half circle number things

Baby Rattles

Small Baby Toys

Teething Toys

Soft stuffed animal toys

lots more!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
Do you have two adults? Otherwise I can't figure out how you can use two separate rooms. That would be ideal to have a separate room but how?

Thanks, Laurel
What do you mean how I use two separate rooms? My regulations don't require me to have all the kids in the same room.

I have an entire house just for child care.

I don't live here.

I have a coat room, a kitchen, a dining room/area, a living room, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa1923 View Post
How come you don't use any equipment?
I just think the liability in using infant equipment is too much to take on.

I also feel that babies learn self-help skills alot faster without use of equipment and I also feel that use of equipment creates a false sense of security for the baby and then when they out grow the jumper or the bouncer, they look to an adult to produce those same kinds of activities and I don't have the arms, the time or the want to do that....kwim?

It has just worked out much easier to not create that need from the get go... atleast for me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
What do you mean how I use two separate rooms? My regulations don't require me to have all the kids in the same room.

I have an entire house just for child care.

I don't live here.

I have a coat room, a kitchen, a dining room/area, a living room, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom.



I just think the liability in using infant equipment is too much to take on.

I also feel that babies learn self-help skills alot faster without use of equipment and I also feel that use of equipment creates a false sense of security for the baby and then when they out grow the jumper or the bouncer, they look to an adult to produce those same kinds of activities and I don't have the arms, the time or the want to do that....kwim?

It has just worked out much easier to not create that need from the get go... atleast for me.
I just wonder how you can see them at all times unless you are in the same room with them. We don't have to be in the same room by regulations but we must be able to see the children at all times.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
I just wonder how you can see them at all times unless you are in the same room with them. We don't have to be in the same room by regulations but we must be able to see the children at all times.

Laurel
We don't have to be able to see them either.

I can though as my kitchen/dining room is the center of the house and ALL other rooms branch off the kitchen/dining room area.

If I am standing in the kitchen, I can see into all the rooms.

I also have mirrors (like the convenience stores have) so I can see ALL the corners and nooks of a room too.

Since I don't actually live in this house, there is no adult sized furniture and nothing the kids can get in to. Everything is for them.

Makes it super easy to separate off any age group I want into whatever room I want.

Licensing here says "within sight OR sound" so I do not have to keep everyone within direct eyesight.

MN rules are pretty simple and not at all as tough or as "impossible" as I have read about for states.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
We don't have to be able to see them either.

I can though as my kitchen/dining room is the center of the house and ALL other rooms branch off the kitchen/dining room area.

If I am standing in the kitchen, I can see into all the rooms.

I also have mirrors (like the convenience stores have) so I can see ALL the corners and nooks of a room too.

Since I don't actually live in this house, there is no adult sized furniture and nothing the kids can get in to. Everything is for them.

Makes it super easy to separate off any age group I want into whatever room I want.

Licensing here says "within sight OR sound" so I do not have to keep everyone within direct eyesight.

MN rules are pretty simple and not at all as tough or as "impossible" as I have read about for states.
Oh okay, I couldn't figure out how you could do that.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa1923 View Post
I believe she has an open floor plan. her setup is very interesting.

My living room is for my infants, my playroom is for the older kids. I have cameras.
Oh okay, I do have a mirror but it is just a daycare type one that is for them to look at themselves in (best thing I ever bought). I did notice I could see more in the room that way but just discovered that by accident.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to do that or not. I think I may try to find out.
I'm not sure I would but it could be an option anyway.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

Just looked it up. We must be in the same room. Don't think I would do it anyway but I can't so it doesn't matter.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Lyss's Avatar
Lyss Lyss is offline
Chaos Coordinator :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 1,361
Default

I just have one portion divided off with a gate (like a super yard gate). I have a bouncer but no swing or other equipment. As for toys I have board books, a mirror mounted at base of wall, teething toys, sorting toys, soft blocks, and a few other odds and ends toys.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
infant, layout

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ideas on Daily Infant Reports MarinaVanessa Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 29 11-02-2013 12:20 PM
Pretty Cool Outdoor Space Ideas MyAngels Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 37 04-01-2013 11:04 AM
Older infant ideas please Lavender Curriculum 2 03-19-2013 08:59 AM
Confused On Getting Exact Space Percent Correct Abigail Daycare and Taxes 5 01-15-2013 02:35 PM
Holding a space for an infant for 7 months? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 10-06-2009 09:21 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:51 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming