Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:10 AM
Unregistered

Default Non-Stop Bickering...Vent/Advice

Hi all - I am doing latchkey childcare for the first time this year.... would love any advice/wisdom from the veteran moms out there.

I have 3 boys and 1 girl who cannot seem to agree on ANYTHING they'd like to do. They are multiple ages (1st up to 5th grade) and levels of development. The girl begins each day by complaining and asking the boys to stop what they are doing so that they can all play something together ("non-boy" games). In a scenario like this, do I just tell her to do her own thing? Or force the boys to participate in a group activity that might make them unhappy? When I try the group approach, I see a lot of bickering over what game to play, the rules of the game, etc. Many times the group activities end in tears and frustration.

I've tried taking a more 1 on 1 approach with the girl, diverting her attention to crafts, coloring, etc that she and I can do together, but I can tell she's bored and wants to play with the boys.

Any advice? Or is this type of bickering just par for the course and I should just get used to it lol? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:47 AM
Daycare.com Member

I think that the bickering is normal.That being said they should be able to curb it.It might work to have a more scheduled day.For example if its before school maybe try table activities .I would set up a box of games puzzles ,legos and other things that can be done together or alone.I would time it say 30 min tops.Everyone would sit at table.Then I would offer outdoor play running around ,swings ,balls whatever you usually offer outside.Again I would time it.Have at least two things available maybe art,science experiments,book making.I would also talk to the kids about what you expect.I wouldn't make the boys play a certain way at free time but if everyone is painting they are doing the activity together.Then I would make some kind of a "good"chart.Acalendar page works great,a morning -day without bickering gets a check and on Friday 5 days of checks earns a prize .I would order some little things from Oriental trade or go to dollar store a large basket with prizes could be good incentive to stop.Could be as small as sticker sheet or vvfavorite snack.If everyone gets a full week maybe pizza and movie Friday once a month.Just some ideas
Old 09-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Unregistered

Thank you so much, these are great suggestions!
Old 09-10-2018, 09:06 PM
Daycare.com Member

When it comes to group time make it so where you choose the game. Take away the opportunity for them to bicker with each other about what they are going to play by saying “this is what we have scheduled today”.

Tags
bickering, vent