Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why?
Blackcat31 09:02 AM 11-04-2011
Why is it a child arrives in a "Pamper's Premium I paid ALOT of money for these" diapers but the parent then supplies me with the "generic, can hardly be called a diaper" diaper supply?

Do they not realize that it is their child who will be wearing the diapers they are supplying? I don't get this line of thinking?

The cheap diapers (I know, there are some good ones...) are the kind that requires me to change their child every 30 minutes, hardly fit, make the kid have a red and irritated bottom (which has already been brought up to mom and yet I still get the same diapers) and the stupid tabs keep ripping off so the diaper is useable maybe 50% of the time.

What a waste! There is no saving within the big picture so what gives?!?!?!
daycare 09:05 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why is it a child arrives in a "Pamper's Premium I paid ALOT of money for these" diapers but the parent then supplies me with the "generic, can hardly be called a diaper" diaper supply?

Do they not realize that it is their child who will be wearing the diapers they are supplying? I don't get this line of thinking?

The cheap diapers (I know, there are some good ones...) are the kind that requires me to change their child every 30 minutes, hardly fit, make the kid have a red and irritated bottom (which has already been brought up to mom and yet I still get the same diapers) and the stupid tabs keep ripping off so the diaper is useable maybe 50% of the time.

Geeerrr... I'll hold em you........smack the sense into them...lol JK

I have a family that is like this too. I think it's so they can afford their fancy BMW and Range Rover....

Can you tell I'm bitter about it....
KBCsMommy 09:08 AM 11-04-2011
And all the laundry that comes with the leaky crappy diapers.....

I know what you mean!!!
DaycareMama 09:10 AM 11-04-2011
I have noticed this lately here to. 4 families in the last 3 months have switched the diapers they bring here to the very generic diapers that do all the same things you mentioned. But yet they still come in the premium ones.

I think it is cost cutting on the parents end. But if they use them at daycare we the providers get the messy, extra changes.
Unregistered 09:11 AM 11-04-2011
I don't get it either. I have one that's the same way...baby shows up in Pampers Premium and I get a bag of Target brand, which isn't as bad as the Luvs I got the last time. She said she was experimenting though, since the Huggies seemed too stiff and hard for her baby. Personally, I like Huggies. The velcro is the best. You just have to squeeze them in the middle and they soften right up.
Blackcat31 09:12 AM 11-04-2011
I have seen a few Pampers lately where the little gel beads inside are turning all hard and sharp? Almost "crusty" feeling. I wonder what the deal is with that?
Cat Herder 09:13 AM 11-04-2011

The cheap diapers (I know, there are some good ones...) are the kind that requires me to change their child every 30 minutes, hardly fit, make the kid have a red and irritated bottom (which has already been brought up to mom and yet I still get the same diapers) and the stupid tabs keep ripping off so the diaper is usable maybe 50% of the time.

Funny you mention this.

I ASKED a DCM recently why she did this. Outright and point blank....

Her Response: "Oh, because you change *** every time he pees and waste alot of diapers. I wait until the diaper is full to change it at home. If I changed as often as you I'd already be broke. Hahaha"

I agreed to call it even . I change as often as I feel necessary without her complaining about the perceived $$$ I waste and her views about my excessive diaper changing are validated.

We are both happy that *** has never had a diaper rash in my care.
Blackcat31 09:16 AM 11-04-2011
So she basically thinks you change her kid too much? That's a first! LOL!!
laundrymom 09:37 AM 11-04-2011
If they bring the leakers I just remind them, hey those leak and the cheaper materials irritate most kids so bring me two packs at a time. I change them more often. Plus I will need 3 to 4 changes of clothes tomorrow to keep him clean.
Sugar Magnolia 10:00 AM 11-04-2011
I have a boy who is now in pull-ups. He comes to school in the Lighning McQueen ones, but mom supplied the cheap ones that have no tabs! So I get to rip them off, then take the shoes and pants off! Thankfully, I explained this to her. "Hey these are too time consuming for me to use, please bring the same kind he wears at home." She now brings the Lightning McQueens, PHEW!!!!
VanessaEO 10:07 AM 11-04-2011
You know, being on the other side --- when my son was in daycare I made sure I bought off brand diapers. If you are changing every 2 hours, as I assume is the standard in every state, why does it matter that much?

I haven't had a problem with rashes with cheaper diapers, so I guess that argument is lost on me.

But I have always felt (as a parent and a provider) that changing at least every 2 hours eliminated the need for more expensive diapers.
daycare 10:11 AM 11-04-2011
I was told by an old daycare mom of mine..

I give you the cheap stuff and don't want my son to nap because I pay you to work. I want EASY when I get home, and I pay you to make my life easier..

I almost fainted, but at least she was honest
HeatherJ 10:20 AM 11-04-2011
I am curious, how do you deal with cloth diapers? I did not use cloth diapers on my child, but I know several mothers that did. Some were very adamant that their child NOT EVER wear a disposable. I am curious how that would work at daycare.
MommyofThree 10:28 AM 11-04-2011

I buy the CHEAP ones and my children never has the red bottom or I never had to change them within 30 min. maybe she bought them for a buck lol. I buy walmart or wegmens
BigMama 10:34 AM 11-04-2011
I have had several DCF's that use cloth diapers. I really don't find it any more difficult than using the disposable ones - after all I am not the one who has to wash them!
I had one family that used the "old fashioned" ones that you had to fold and pin and put plastic pants over. The mom was super laid back about it though and always made sure I had a couple of disposable ones on hand in case I was super busy or whatever. I really appreciated that but never really had to use them.
Now there are cloth diapers that are so easy to use - no folding and they have velcro sides. I just change the baby, fold up the diaper, and place it in the bag the parents provide. I occasionally have an issue with a leaky diaper, but no major complaints!
wdmmom 10:40 AM 11-04-2011
I have a policy within my daycare that I don't accept generic diapers. It's Huggies, Luvs, Pampers or Target brand. I've found that Walgreens aren't bad either. No other brands allowed. Same for wipes. They all know going in and I have yet to have a parent fight me on it.

And if it comes to explaining, it goes like this: To pay a few cents more per diaper means me not having a mess to clean up. Cleaning fees are $40 per hour. You pay $2.00 more per pack or my cleaning fees.
laundrymom 10:41 AM 11-04-2011
I prefer cloth. Point blank. But. Not one of my parents use them.
Blackcat31 10:45 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by VanessaEO:
You know, being on the other side --- when my son was in daycare I made sure I bought off brand diapers. If you are changing every 2 hours, as I assume is the standard in every state, why does it matter that much?

I haven't had a problem with rashes with cheaper diapers, so I guess that argument is lost on me.

But I have always felt (as a parent and a provider) that changing at least every 2 hours eliminated the need for more expensive diapers.
It matters because the cheap ones leak (I don't mean due to being worn too long) I mean due to not being very good quality. The leg openings do not fit comfortably or correctly. The child also pees one time and his shirt is wet. They are just very ill fitting.

The comment about the rash was not an argument but a statement that this particular child gets a rash and some irritation around his legs and on his bottom every time mom seems to bring this particular brand. (She is aware yet continues to bring them.)

This child is also changed at the very least, every two hours but sometimes a lot more during that time. He is only 10 months old.

Originally Posted by HeatherJ:
I am curious, how do you deal with cloth diapers? I did not use cloth diapers on my child, but I know several mothers that did. Some were very adamant that their child NOT EVER wear a disposable. I am curious how that would work at daycare.
I have only had one cloth diaper wearer and would not mind if more moms chose to use them. They are not an issue here.

Originally Posted by melissathayer28:
I buy the CHEAP ones and my children never has the red bottom or I never had to change them within 30 min. maybe she bought them for a buck lol. I buy walmart or wegmens
Don't get me wrong, I am not against generic or store brand diapers. Whatever works for each kid...great! This particular mom that caused me to post the thread in the first place just doesn't seem to get that the generic, cheap brand she is buying does NOT work for her son. Maybe for others but not for hers.

(FWIW~ the brand she is bringing is White Cloud)
HeatherJ 10:45 AM 11-04-2011
So you do put the soiled cloth diapers in a plastic bag or something? Even if it is poop? Would that not stink all day long? Do you just dump the poop in the toilet? Sorry I am asking such gross questions. I admit that I never did very much research on cloth diapering. I was still in school and working full time when my son was born, I immediately decided that disposables were easiest for me and still OK for my baby.
Heidi 10:51 AM 11-04-2011
Do you really change diapers every 2 hours? Not a requirement here, but I usually change them once in the mid morning, then again right after nap, unless the have a BM, which means 3x in a day. Granted, mine are not drinking bottles anymore, so it's usually a bm in the morning, and then a fresh diaper after nap. No one has had a rash yet, so I guess we're ok. They no leaks, either.

I have no idea what brand of diapers my dcf's bring. They usually bring just the inner liner of the package, with no label, and my own children are long out of diapers. I do know that the wipes they bring are all from walmart, so I assume the diapers are, too....
BigMama 10:56 AM 11-04-2011
With the cloth diapers I empty the poopies into the toilet. It is against regulations here for us to rinse or wash them (not that I would anyway) so I just fold them up and put them in the bag. It is a requirement for the bags to be plastic lined so most families have a cloth bag with a zipper that they line with a large ziploc bag. I never smell the diapers.
MyAngels 10:59 AM 11-04-2011

This is what my dc parents tell me, too. I don't have a problem with most of the off brand diapers, and if they are leaky or ill-fitting I just send them home the same day and ask that they bring a better quality diaper for the next day.
HeatherJ 11:00 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by BigMama:
With the cloth diapers I empty the poopies into the toilet. It is against regulations here for us to rinse or wash them (not that I would anyway) so I just fold them up and put them in the bag. It is a requirement for the bags to be plastic lined so most families have a cloth bag with a zipper that they line with a large ziploc bag. I never smell the diapers.
Some poopies would not, er, dump so well, I would imagine.
I was just curious, thanks for the info!
Meyou 11:03 AM 11-04-2011
I love cloth diapers. The parents send a wet bag and it keeps almost all of the odor trapped inside. I dump the poop if it's dumpable but otherwise I just roll the poopie liner up in the cover and give mom a warning when she picks up. They send covers, liners and a clean diaper bag each day. I prefer it at this point.
BigMama 11:06 AM 11-04-2011
Some poopies would not, er, dump so well, I would imagine.
I was just curious, thanks for the info!
You are so right about that! In those cases I just do my best and am thankful once again that I am not the one who has to wash them!

As a side note, one of my families that uses the cloth diapers has some type of spray attachment on their toilet to handle such incidences. I guess this would be an investment to make if you really want to cloth diaper.
e.j. 11:13 AM 11-04-2011
I've just had this conversation with one of my dc moms. The first day he was here, I changed him every hour because he was filling his diapers that quickly. She told me I was changing him too much. When I told her how full his diapers were, she said she knows but doesn't want me to change him so much because of the cost of diapers. The next day, she gave me a jar of vasoline to use on him so he doesn't get a rash and reminded me not to change him so much.

I've been trying to let him go for two hours at a time before changing him but apparently, that's too often, too. She wants me to go 4 hours without changing him. The diapers are soaked at 1 hour, never mind 2 and when he poops, it goes up his back because there's no room left in the diaper to hold it in! She bragged about the day she was able to let him go for 12 hours without a change.

She doesn't want to pay for diapers and acknowledges she's being cheap. She drives a relatively new, fairly expensive car and can afford "date nights" with her husband but claims not to have money for diapers. It's all about priorities as far as I'm concerned.
Cat Herder 11:18 AM 11-04-2011
why does it matter that much?

The gross truth?

Hand, Foot, Mouth outbreaks when they leak on the floors the children play on.

They basically are licking poop when they put their hand in their mouth after crawling through it. You don't have to see it on the floor for it to be there....

For the record, my favorite brand is Parents Choice. I dread seeing those plastic "toy baby doll" looking ones from the gas station, though.
laundrymom 11:27 AM 11-04-2011
I change at arrival if needed, I always check them on arrival. Again around 730 Then before snack at 9. Then around 1030. Then after lunch, then after nap. Then about 445/5pm.

I change with each potty. I don't try to see how much it will hold. I had a mother complain once, I challenged her to sit on a urine soaked maxipad all day every day. She said" Ewwww that's gross!" I responded with,... " yes, it is"

She never again questioned my changing her daughter.
Heidi 11:37 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I change at arrival if needed, I always check them on arrival. Again around 730 Then before snack at 9. Then around 1030. Then after lunch, then after nap. Then about 445/5pm.

I change with each potty. I don't try to see how much it will hold. I had a mother complain once, I challenged her to sit on a urine soaked maxipad all day every day. She said" Ewwww that's gross!" I responded with,... " yes, it is"

She never again questioned my changing her daughter.
that is toooo funny! I wish I were that clever. I would only think of a comeback like that at about 3 in the morning!
e.j. 11:51 AM 11-04-2011
[quote=laundrymom;162538]I change with each potty. I don't try to see how much it will hold. I had a mother complain once, I challenged her to sit on a urine soaked maxipad all day every day. She said" Ewwww that's gross!" I responded with,... " yes, it is" [quote]

Love it! I'll have to remember this should it come up again - and I'm sure it will.
Meyou 11:51 AM 11-04-2011
I've asked parents if they would be willing sit in urine all day to save a few dollars. Kinda puts it in perspective for them.
SilverSabre25 11:52 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by BigMama:
Yep that. I <3 cloth. Someday I might offer CDing while at daycare to everyone under 2.
Sugar Magnolia 01:51 PM 11-04-2011
NOT WELL! Leaky, smelly, very inconvenient. After having poop leak out several times, I was over it.
nannyde 02:05 PM 11-04-2011
Diapers: We do not allow generic diapers or cloth diapers. The brands we accept are Huggies, Pampers, and Luvs. We accept Target brand diapers but the current Target brand runs one size smaller than Huggies, Pampers, and Luvs. If you would like to use Target diapers we must have one size up from what your child would wear in the premium diapers. We also do not allow generic wipes with the exception of Target wipes. No scented wipes.

We change kids about every 2 to 3 hours. Figure about 4-5 diapers a day. Breast fed babies may need as many as 5-7 a day plus additional "over diapers" of the next size up. We don't use pull ups until the child is nearly done with potty training and has been accident free for one week.

We put a note on the front door when we need diapers and wipes. We will ask for wipes about once a month.
CheekyChick 02:19 PM 11-04-2011
They're not the sharpest pencils in the box?
christinaskids 02:35 PM 11-04-2011
I actually love the parents choice brand, and i noticed target brand is the exact same thing with a different pattern. I also love pampers but none of my dc parents use them. I hate luvs, they rip and leak at nothing. Huggies have more of a tendency to leak too. I supply all the diapers here for an extra charge since nobody ever supplied me with wipes or forgot to bring diapers.
Kaddidle Care 03:05 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I have a boy who is now in pull-ups. He comes to school in the Lighning McQueen ones, but mom supplied the cheap ones that have no tabs! So I get to rip them off, then take the shoes and pants off! Thankfully, I explained this to her. "Hey these are too time consuming for me to use, please bring the same kind he wears at home." She now brings the Lightning McQueens, PHEW!!!!
Lucky you! I hate those cheapo Pull ups! They do the same thing at our place.
Hunni Bee 03:46 PM 11-04-2011
you wouldn't believe how much we get this. Somehow they believe that 25 diapers a week for a child who is care 40 hours a week is entirely too much. So I guess its okay for your kid to pickle in her own pi**. Not a chance sister.
skittles 03:53 PM 11-04-2011
We only have two Target stores in our state both are at least an hour away from our town, so I am not sure about that brand. I do use the Parents Choice diapers and have always had good luck with them for my own babies. My dc parents are free to use whatever, I have one family which uses the cheapest pull ups they can find. For nap I have found if I double the pull ups then they won't leak through.
Hunni Bee 03:54 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Lucky you! I hate those cheapo Pull ups! They do the same thing at our place.
We now demand the ones with tabs lol..but we had a method for the other ones. You rip the soiled one off, clean him, then take only one of his shoes and pant legs off. Then put the pull up on the still-dressed leg, pull the rest of pants through the empty hole and put the bare leg through. Then replace pant leg and shoe. LOL. It sounds complicated, but saves you a ton of time when you have a classroom of cheap pull-ups.
Former Teacher 08:29 AM 11-05-2011
At my former center, in our infant room we had 4 infants, all girls. At that time there were girl and boy diapers (Pampers I believe, I can't remember). Well this one baby would come in a girl diaper but the mother would only pack boy diapers. Odd but I thought ok, maybe she didn't know what was she was having and is using up baby shower gifts.

Then as the baby got older, the mother would only bring in boy diapers. Even when the baby was 10-11 months old!

So, finally I just had to ask her. Her reply was that she didn't want anyone else using HER things. So she is purposefully buying the opposite of everyone else.

I explained to her that everyone had their own space for diapers, clothes, etc. Next day, she started to dress her in boys clothes AND pack boy clothes for spares as well!
Kaddidle Care 08:41 AM 11-05-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
We now demand the ones with tabs lol..but we had a method for the other ones. You rip the soiled one off, clean him, then take only one of his shoes and pant legs off. Then put the pull up on the still-dressed leg, pull the rest of pants through the empty hole and put the bare leg through. Then replace pant leg and shoe. LOL. It sounds complicated, but saves you a ton of time when you have a classroom of cheap pull-ups.
OK you made me have to think really hard on that! I get it. Not sure if some of the folks I work with would.

Thankfully at this particular time we don't have too many in diapers. (Yay 2 /12 and up age restriction.)
Tags:diaper, hand foot and mouth, parents - are clueless
Reply Up